Does any one use..........or know of?

2/23/16 @ 5:17 PM
ORIGINAL POST
gray fox
gray fox
MEMBER since 2/22/08
Does anyone use a life preserver when walking or driving out on the ice. I believe they have flotation devices for your 4 wheelers and snowmobiles to keep them safe. Is there anything out there for keeping oneself safe, that isn't too bulky to wear, but something to wear to be safe. I sure wish there was something to stay safe with. Not bulky at all. Thanks for any info. gray fox Big Smile Cool
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 16 Posts
2/27/16 @ 11:29 AM
K.P.
K.P.
USER since 2/2/16
I used to wear a life jacket on early and late ice but I recently bought my first floating suit, an Expedition Sikre bibs and jacket. The quality is outstanding and by far the most cost effective suit I found. I was surprised how lightweight and comfortable the suit is plus its warm, very breathable, and waterproof. It will be perfect for early and late boating season too. I still bring a flotation cushion with 50 feet of floating yellow nylon rope tied to it as part of my Arsenal.

Post Your Comment
2/26/16 @ 4:23 PM
gray fox
gray fox
MEMBER since 2/22/08
Thanks for all the comments. I Get my Striker Hard water bibs next week. Later this Fall will order the jacket.

Thanks again, and be safe.

gray fox Cool

Post Your Comment
2/26/16 @ 9:18 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
I always used to get cold until I bought the striker suit. it is almost too warm during warmest part of day. I used to have to wear exedition weight merino wool base layer when I ice fished and dont anymore since I got this suit. It replaced an Arctic Armour suit that lost all water resistance within 3 years.

Post Your Comment
2/25/16 @ 2:20 PM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
All good comments. I like the rope bucket idea. Just remember your ice picks. I myself had been thinking about the Striker Ice Suits with floatation in them. Watched a video of a guy in the summer run down his dock and jump in wearing his Striker suit. I thought about this long enough that I finally decided I buy the best Life Jacket I can buy, why not ice suit too. Purchased a set of Striker Ice Bibs and Jacket the other day, have not wore it on the ice yet. I am not a super cold guy, but I bought the Climate jacket and bibs, the warmest set they make, because I can zip the linings out of both jacket and bibs, I like that idea.

Post Your Comment
2/25/16 @ 1:41 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
if you are a bucket guy... just keep a rope coiled up inside bucket. You can throw bucket to someone if they fall through then and not have too much extra stuff with you.

Post Your Comment
2/25/16 @ 1:00 PM
Fillet Show
Fillet Show
USER since 7/14/08
I agree with the suit vs life preserver comments. Also, earlier this winter, a couple guys died near Lacrosse ice fishing. One fell in, and the other crashed through trying to save him. So, that made me add a rope and buoy to my sled, just in case someone else is in trouble, I don't want to put myself in a dangerous situation while trying to save them. I just made that addition this season, and it seems like a no-brainier, but I hadn't looked at it in that way before.

Post Your Comment
2/25/16 @ 9:19 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
I saw Doug Stange walk out on some super sketchy late ice with a float tube.

Post Your Comment
2/24/16 @ 5:30 PM
gray fox
gray fox
MEMBER since 2/22/08
All very good comments guys!!! Big Smile

Post Your Comment
2/24/16 @ 5:22 PM
paddler1
paddler1
MEMBER since 12/10/14
Gray Fox

one thing to consider if going with the inflatables is how much the preserver would impede your ability to get back on top of the ice. all of the flotation would be around your neck and on your chest and belly. The fore mentioned float suits would not have bulk in front like the inflatables. A vest style typeIII would act more like the float suits, Plus. you most likely already have one available if you boat/ fish. REMEMBER YOUR ICE PICKS ALSO. BE SAFE!!!

Post Your Comment
2/24/16 @ 4:06 PM
4 reel
4 reel
USER since 12/9/10
Gray, have you looked into a slim auto or manual pfd. They are great. You'll even wear it more when in the boat.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 16 Posts