Do you ask, "What lake did you catch that fish on?"

1/12/16 @ 11:27 PM
ORIGINAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02
If somebody shows you a pic on their phone or if they tell you they've caught some nice fish, do you ask them, "What lake did you catch that fish on?" Or do you leave it be and figure if they wanted to tell you they would? Is it slightly rude to ask? Or, on the other side, is it slightly rude to not tell the spot if somebody asks therefore, you don't talk about a catch unless you're willing to share where it is if asked.....
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 19 Posts
1/18/16 @ 8:59 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
it is so easy to get people to tell there spots. Just say something to they effect of " I used to catch them like that all the time on "name your favorite big local lake" They would hit so good on "name any stupid lure you want." The person will be compelled to share as well and brag up a little to one up you. Likely you will get information on more fish than just one in picture.

Post Your Comment
1/16/16 @ 10:52 PM
ayeFeesh
ayeFeesh
USER since 5/17/11
Well snakester,

I'll tell you this. You don't start with a question, you start with a statement. Then after they respond you ask your question Wink

Post Your Comment
1/16/16 @ 12:51 PM
Gunsnbowses
Gunsnbowses
USER since 6/17/01
I have no problem telling people what lake I caught a fish on. If it's a friend I will tell them the exact spot. What I don't get is the comment "not looking for a spot just a location" in the fishing reports here at LL.

In my opinion, if you're in the Pelican Lake thread, why are you asking for location? Pelican Lake is your location! How specific do you want me to be when you say "just a location/ I don't want your spot"? Ok, maybe you say what bay you were in. But when the last few posts say what bay is hot, jus what more do you want?

Some people seem to think there is one magic area on each lake and that's all. Apparently weather, time of day and a fish's general attitude still keeps them in one area. Wink

Post Your Comment
1/15/16 @ 12:24 PM
PimplySwede
PimplySwede
USER since 1/6/09
I don't mind or take offense to someone asking. It's just a question. If you're boasting enough to show them a picture, you gotta expect the question.

If I know the person they get one of 2 replies - if they are the type of person who will bring 8000 people with them to the spot, I ask them if they can keep a secret. When they say yes, I say "Me too."

If they are the type that likes to keep hotspots quiet, I'll give them the lake, maybe offer to meet them there.

If you're showing it to a stranger, you have to ask yourself why you're showing the picture to a stranger.

Post Your Comment
1/15/16 @ 10:07 AM
northernexsposure
northernexsposure
USER since 3/15/08
Wow Ulbian, you a CSI or have special forces training? You should bring out extra tip-ups and spread them around on the ice. That way when the fishing spot spies fly over in their jet they won't know which holes are being fished and which ones are decoy tip-ups.

Post Your Comment
1/14/16 @ 1:35 PM
Ulbian
Ulbian
USER since 9/24/03
"Ice fishing is the worst because anyone can find an old hole"

True, but how many people can read old holes? I'm not disagreeing one bit, just bringing it into the conversation. I suspect that most see old holes and they don't deconstruct the other information it is telling them. You can tell if tip-ups were there or if someone was camped out jigging. If it's a tip-up hole are there any dead minnows laying around? What kind are they? Is there blood on the ice? Foot prints around a tip-up hole with the toes pointing to it could suggest that this was a good hole. Others where there are limited foot prints and they don't circle thing might suggest something different. If you come across holes within a day or two of them being used, even if they are iced over you can make a determination if fish came out of it. If other holes the same age are frozen up more than this one, then it means it was used for some reason and I'll give that general location a closer look.

For reasons listed above and many more I try to cover my tracks the best I can. Dead minnows and bait are never left willy nilly next to holes. Any marks left by chairs or buckets when jigging get snow, ice, or slush kicked over these marks. Same deal goes for any blood that came from a fish. When I'm using dead bait and check my tip-ups I always carry a minnow bucket along even if it's empty. If I see someone checking a tip-up and they don't have a bucket with them, to me that's pretty intriguing and suggests they are using dead stuff.

Post Your Comment
1/14/16 @ 12:17 PM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
You can ask, but then there is always the question in your mind did they really tell you the truth?

Post Your Comment
1/14/16 @ 11:21 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
Ice fishing is the worst because anyone can find an old hole and many more people can access the water since they don't need to own a boat. That alone is enough to not tell people. If I knew a lake, I could figure it out pretty easily unless it was something big like the Bay or Winnebago. Even then though...

Post Your Comment
1/14/16 @ 9:24 AM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
Pictures on phones... I gotta pull out my glasses,adjust the phone so there's no glare and I can see clearly...zoom in...

Or I can just say "Nice fish" and be done with it.

Post Your Comment
1/14/16 @ 6:16 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
ayefeesh, Is it rude for me to ask what the secret question is that makes em spill the beans? LOL

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 19 Posts