Creepers

12/9/14 @ 1:03 PM
ORIGINAL POST
.Pan Handler.
.Pan Handler.
USER since 5/8/08
Anyone have any creepers they'd recommend over others? I have used el cheapo HT's forever, and they work alright, but looking to invest into a nice pair for the future. I've read a lot of good things about Kahtoola Microspikes but 65 bucks is a little steep! Worth it?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 32 Posts
1/12/15 @ 5:28 PM
Lucky dog!
Lucky dog!
USER since 4/1/02
Kahtoola micros, are worth the price

Post Your Comment
1/12/15 @ 6:55 AM
walleye27
walleye27
USER since 1/25/07
google grip studs only way to go Big Smile

Post Your Comment
1/12/15 @ 6:40 AM
Namvet
Namvet
USER since 1/9/09
I have about a half inch to spare when putting in the 3/5" screws. A dab of caulk on each screw and I've not had any leaks in 2 yrs. I only use them for ice fishing and when I remove snow from my driveway. I don't use them to shop at malls, but to each his own.

Post Your Comment
1/12/15 @ 6:13 AM
icestalker
icestalker
USER since 11/14/12
Ditto on the Yaktraks. Got tired of going thru so many pairs of HTs and went with Yaktrak Pros this year. So far, they have been great. I think the sheet metal screw idea is pretty ingenious, but what about leakage? I stand in water sometimes and would think punching holes in the soles could create leakage issues. Do you guys put some kind of sealant around the screws?

Post Your Comment
1/12/15 @ 6:00 AM
LIPRIPR
LIPRIPR
USER since 3/15/03
Yes, if you tear into the studs of your boots with screws it will reduce the life and compromise the integrity of your sole, confirmed by a top boot manufacturer. I just think it's silly when there are tons of removable options out there. Even an old pair of sorels have many uses. Limiting them by putting screws in seems like a waste. Plus you can't walk in public with them unless you want to tear up people's flooring or sound like a girl in heels. Then again, we outdoors folks aren't too bright anyway. People falling through the ice and drowning all the time over a panfish.

Post Your Comment
1/12/15 @ 5:42 AM
AllDayIDreamAboutSmallies
AllDayIDreamAboutSmallies
MEMBER since 3/14/06
1/2" zip screws aren't going to wreck your boots. I'd imagine there is a good reason 80% of the feedback says "try zip screws"!

Post Your Comment
1/12/15 @ 5:06 AM
Namvet
Namvet
USER since 1/9/09
OK, so my boots are crap. They match the rest of my ice fishing stuff. I just thought I'd share with the forum what I use. I did say they went on an "old reliable" pair of sorels. Anyway the sheet metal screws work for me. I can't afford $200 boots, so maybe I'd feel differently if I could.

Post Your Comment
1/11/15 @ 9:58 PM
LIPRIPR
LIPRIPR
USER since 3/15/03
I have the cheap HT ones too. Junk. They only have traction on the toe and when you slip and fall on your ass it's cause of your heel slipping, duh. 80 percent of the posts say to use screws. I guess if you wear crap boots that's okay, but I'm not going to wreck my $200 boots with a bunch of hardware I can't remove. That makes no sense whatsoever.

Post Your Comment
1/11/15 @ 9:25 AM
seybertice
seybertice
USER since 2/12/09
These are great! Easy to put on and grip very well. http://www.theultimatecleat.com/

Edited on 1/11/15 9:30 AM
Post Your Comment
1/11/15 @ 9:00 AM
Namvet
Namvet
USER since 1/9/09
I just put a bunch of 3/5" sheet metal screws in the bottoms of an old pair of reliable sorel boots. I tried them on the ice at a local pond and they seem to grip pretty well. Not sure how they'll perform with a few inches of snow.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 32 Posts