circle hooks on tip-ups

1/26/15 @ 5:17 PM
ORIGINAL POST
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06
I was wondering if anyone has tried this for a length of time and could comment on the effectiveness or lack thereof. I would like to adopt this strategy in order to ensure a live, healthy release of under-sized or C&R fish. I use them in open water and they are very effective.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 Posts
2/1/15 @ 10:08 AM
Carrot
Carrot
USER since 1/18/13
? Would be the rubberband trick. Please explain or pic would be best

Post Your Comment
1/28/15 @ 9:38 PM
Tubes777
Tubes777
USER since 1/23/15
I use a mix of quick strike rigs (for pike) and single circle hook rigs (bass, walleye & trout). With the cirlce hooks I like to use the rubber band trick which will "set" the circle hook before they get a chance to drop it.

Post Your Comment
1/26/15 @ 9:54 PM
Lucky dog!
Lucky dog!
USER since 4/1/02
I am a firm believer in the use of circle hooks, however, one lake I fish, the walleye will grab the shiner and pull out 6" of line and sit on the bottom of the lake with it. I missed so many fish with circle hooks, I went back to a single octopus. Circle hooks work best when the fish is swimming away from the hole, these walleye wouldn't cooperate for me and circles. I haven't tried again since with circles on tip ups, but I would if I got back on a lake where the fish would move away from the hole after grabbing the shiner.

Post Your Comment
1/26/15 @ 9:45 PM
Huntin dude
Huntin dude
USER since 10/25/11
Just wondering how do you set the hook with the circle hooks on a tip-up? Also what size hook would you use for medium-medium large shiners?

Edited on 1/26/15 9:46 PM
Post Your Comment
1/26/15 @ 7:32 PM
Meiz
Meiz
USER since 10/9/09
It was incredible. Me & my buddy didn't miss a single fish on any of the 3 tip ups that were rigged with circle hooks, and each fish was hooked in either the lip or the corner of the mouth. I'm a believer.

Post Your Comment
1/26/15 @ 7:13 PM
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06
Thanks Meiz, I am going to do the same. I have some 5/0 that I use for big cats. I will post my results too. I just think it makes sense if people really care about preserving the larger fish. It sickens me to see a mid-thirties pike bleeding profusely and returned to the lake. What a waste. Puke

Post Your Comment
1/26/15 @ 6:57 PM
teenangler15
teenangler15
USER since 7/15/04
Now that you post this, it does make a lot of sense. I'll have to try it.

Post Your Comment
1/26/15 @ 6:43 PM
Meiz
Meiz
USER since 10/9/09
I tried it for the first time two weeks ago. It was so successful, I'll be changing out all of my treble hooks on my tip ups next weekend.

Post Your Comment