Cheap Propane

1/7/15 @ 10:52 AM
ORIGINAL POST
journeymission
journeymission
USER since 2/27/10
Where is everyone finding the cheapest 16oz propane canisters? Found $3.50 the other day and thought it was a little steep. Willing to buy in bulk if it saves some cash.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 15 Posts
1/14/15 @ 2:00 PM
BAK922
BAK922
USER since 11/19/14
Check Menard for sales. I picked up a case at $2.50 each.

Edited on 1/14/15 2:01 PM
Post Your Comment
1/12/15 @ 5:43 PM
Lucky dog!
Lucky dog!
USER since 4/1/02
Get a 5 or 10 pound cylinder. My local ACE hardware store will fill a 10 pounder for less than $6, a 20 pounder is less than $12. A lot of places fill tanks by the gallon, like for RV's. Cheapest option, by far.

Post Your Comment
1/12/15 @ 8:24 AM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
We've already beaten this topic to death. How about back to "cheap propane" sources.

http://www.lake-link.com/forums/Ice-Fishing/discuss.cfm/113272/Refilling-1-lb-propane-tanks

Those who get a boost to their self-esteem by insulting others or pretending they're smarter that most (or both!) are still welcome to post where-ever they wish.

Post Your Comment
1/12/15 @ 7:16 AM
Grass_hopper
Grass_hopper
USER since 7/8/13
When I refill my 1 lb tanks, I ...

1. usually refill during the summer when the 20lb tank is good and warm. If I have to refill during the winter, I'll keep the 20lb tank in the house overnight to warm it.

2. only refill outdoors (not in an enclosed area)

3. avoid being anywhere near a flame source

4. keep empty bottles in freezer overnight before filling

5. keep track of the number of times that I refill a tank by labeling it and refill a max of 5 times (I use to refill more, but had a few seals start to leak)

6. keep the recently refilled tanks outdoors for a few hours and smell for leaks before replacing the plastic cap and storing in my garage

Because of some concern I've heard from others about possibly transferring particles/junk from the 20lb tank to the 1lb tank, I only use the refilled tanks for my portable heater and only use new tanks with my auger.

Side note: my wife typically shows her ignorance by saying something is "stupid" when she doesn't understand it. Big Smile

Edited on 1/12/15 7:18 AM
Post Your Comment
1/11/15 @ 9:40 PM
LIPRIPR
LIPRIPR
USER since 3/15/03
I bought one of those stupid adapters to refill 1 pound tanks. I agree, dangerous and illegal. I tried it once, and all the dicking around isn't worth risking your safety. Just to save a buck or two? But, then again, ice fishermen aren't the brightest group to begin with. They are always falling through the ice and drowning over a crappie or a bluegill, so why not blow up over a couple bucks? Gotta love us outdoor enthusiasts. We know how to put the dumb in dumb and dumber. Smile

Post Your Comment
1/9/15 @ 6:26 AM
marbleeyes7
marbleeyes7
USER since 4/1/12
that in the fact those 1 lb tanks are not made to be refilled the metal and insides of the tanks are made differently than a 20lber. also the bigger tanks have the opd valves, better o rings etc. if that relief valve sticks and the bottle is over filled. kaboom, gas has to go somewhere. when they refill a 20lb tank they only put 18-18.5lbs of propane in the tanks for a reason.

Post Your Comment
1/8/15 @ 9:14 PM
wet-net
wet-net
USER since 1/8/03
I found this usefulhttp://volunteercampers.forumotion.net/t350-propane-tank-weight

Edited on 1/8/15 9:15 PM
Post Your Comment
1/8/15 @ 4:17 PM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
USER since 1/19/02
wouldn't they only pop if there was some kind of an open flame or high heat source to ignite the propane very near by?

Post Your Comment
1/8/15 @ 3:49 AM
marbleeyes7
marbleeyes7
USER since 4/1/12
not trying to start an argument here, but there have been several people in surrounding states that have lost there homes and lives refilling 1 lbers. couple really nice gentelmen on another fishing forum lost everything and they were doing it for years as well. plus i am pretty sure it is illegal to transport refilled 1 lb bottles. dont get me wrong i have an adapter to do it too. just like my house and my family's lives more than saving $10-15 dollars a season. just my .02.

link to one horrible occurance. http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2012/02/06/1-dead-1-injured-in-polk-county-garage-explosion/

Edited on 1/8/15 4:01 AM
Post Your Comment
1/7/15 @ 7:32 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
USER since 2/15/10
ive never had a problem with refilling them been doing it for years. a little work but saves me having to go buy new ones every time.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 15 Posts