CGi inline reel- garbage?

12/8/15 @ 8:27 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Edward Felcohands
Edward Felcohands
USER since 2/24/09
Anybody have any experience with this new CGi inline reel from No. 8 fishing? I was interested in picking up a geared inline to try out, but i'm not really interested in dropping 100 bucks on a black betty that will only get used a couple months out of the year, and I have zero confidence in anything frabill puts out, especially for 70 bucks. So then i saw the CGi for 30 bucks, and figured I'd pick one up to play around with. I am fully aware that i shouldn't have high expectations at this price point. I opened it up, and when you reel it, there is a rubbing noise that comes and goes as you work the reel, and also sometimes during freespooling. took it apart, looked around inside, and everything looks alright, the spool is not wobbling or anything like that. So i took i back, exchanged it for another one. Open it up and this one does the same thing, looked a little closer inside the reel and i figured out that the metal tab that makes the noise for the bait clicker rubs the inside of the spool(which wobbles a little on the second reel) and causes the noise when the clicker is not engaged. Anyone else have any experience or input? At this point i've already done 30 bucks worth of screwing around and I haven't even put line on it yet.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 Posts
12/12/15 @ 8:45 AM
Rikkus
Rikkus
USER since 12/4/11
I have the Frabill. I think Eagle Claw actually makes these. I absolutely love it. No more line behind the bail, I can use 2 lb line without issues. After my first season with one, I bought several more.

Post Your Comment
12/12/15 @ 8:26 AM
POPPER
POPPER
USER since 6/20/01
Use the smallest barrel swivel you can find and tie a leader to it....... It will get rid of line twists and jig spinning, and forget the inline reel

Post Your Comment
12/10/15 @ 11:50 PM
Edward Felcohands
Edward Felcohands
USER since 2/24/09
I put some line on the second reel Today, what a disappointment. The drag was choppy and inconsistent, and the reel is anything but smooth when reeling against any pressure. I even took it apart and greased and oiled it a little, thinking maybe the long boat ride from China rattled some Of the grease off. Parts diagram did not really match what was actually there, which was fun also. It goes back to the store tomorrow.

Post Your Comment
12/10/15 @ 3:41 PM
danedogs
danedogs
USER since 10/14/01
I brought a black-betty 6061 last year and its left handed, I need a right handed model. I will let it go for $50.00 if anybody is interested.

Post Your Comment
12/9/15 @ 10:31 PM
brtn610
brtn610
USER since 12/30/07
I used one of the CGIs last winter on my finesse panfish setup and my experiences mirror those that posted before me. I'll be purchasing more for the upcoming ice season.

The only area of performance that I wasn't pleased with out of the box on this reel was the drag, which wasn't very smooth. 95% of the time this isn't an issue with panfish, but for the occasional bass, pike, or monster gill, its nice to be able to rely on a smooth drag. I would recommend adding a thin coating of reel grease to the drag washer, which in reality is just a plastic washer. It still isn't buttery smooth, but I was able to land a 30" pike on 2 lb mono late ice last year, so it's definitely good enough.

Post Your Comment
12/9/15 @ 9:47 AM
wiel0059
wiel0059
USER since 6/20/14
Definitely not normal. I have a few CGI's with LOTS of time on the ice with them and I've never had a problem. Picked up another one a few weeks ago, lined it up, and used it this past weekend. Perfect just like the the ones I had last year.

A few of my buddies who only ice fish occasionally really liked mine last year and also picked up CGI's and I know they didn't have issues with them either... The only thing I can think of is the retailer somehow got a bad batch? That'd be surprising though, based on my experience with No. 8 Tackle. I'd maybe reach out to them, their CS is very good from my experience with the company.

Post Your Comment
12/9/15 @ 8:28 AM
ezturn
ezturn
USER since 9/4/12
I have 2-CGI8s, 1 Eagle Claw Tony Roach and 1 Frabil 371. Even though I have had to make adjustments and modifications to all 4 with my arthritic fumble fingers they are easier for me to use then spinning reels. I would complain to the seller or the manufacture. Good Luck

Post Your Comment