Both Ice Auger Blades cracked off today. Help?!

12/22/14 @ 8:56 PM
ORIGINAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02
Here's the background. Maybe some of you can help so I can avoid this in the future. Blades are about a year old. ION Blades. Probably drilled about 400 holes. Recently sharpened. I put them back on. Two of the hex nuts were stripped. I put on different hex nuts-same size. Seemed snug. Used the auger last weekend. No problem. Used it today. First hole, the inside 1/3 of both blades cracked off. From the inside to the part where the first hex nut sticks out. Oddly, my auger still worked today, but I have no idea why this happened. Like I said, both blades cracked off during the first hole I drilled and I found the parts in the slush pile. Nothing suspicious about the hole. Didn't see a rock or anything in the ice....Help?!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
12/23/14 @ 10:16 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02
Thanks guys. Appreciate it. I got a response from an ION representative and he said that when reinstalling blades you must tighten the outside bolts first. Or there is a risk of cracking .

Seems to make sense. I think I over tightened the hex nuts as well. Still, it concerns me that somebody else had this issue with ION as well. Great auger, hopefully the blades are quality as well. We'll see with my new pair I guess.

Post Your Comment
12/23/14 @ 3:37 PM
plumber32
plumber32
USER since 1/25/08
This happened to me first time out also. 8" Ion auger with a brand new set of blades, not resharpened. I think I drilled maybe 15 holes that day. One blade cracked not quite in half. What do you want for $40 Angry Angry Angry

Post Your Comment
12/23/14 @ 1:08 PM
Prop
Prop
USER since 4/9/03
I had a strike master laser blade break on me this year too. Blades were probably 2 years old. Never sharpened them as they still cut good. No idea how it happened either. It still cut so I was able to finish out the day. Motor had to work lot harder.

Post Your Comment
12/23/14 @ 11:15 AM
Fish Hound
Fish Hound
USER since 1/29/02
"Could the temper of the blade metal have been screwed up in the sharpening process?"

I agree, or heat during the sharpening process may have caused warping that resulted in weakness once tight back on the drill.

Post Your Comment
12/23/14 @ 8:51 AM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
USER since 3/20/02
Could the temper of the blade metal have been screwed up in the sharpening process?

Post Your Comment
12/23/14 @ 5:18 AM
Edward Felcohands
Edward Felcohands
USER since 2/24/09
I haven't really looked closely at ION blades, but it they are cheap steel, over-tightening against a drill assembly with poor mechanical tolerances could create a weak spot. it will be really interesting to see if this happens more, these things haven't been out long and i could see this being a chronic problem.

Post Your Comment