Black eyed Susans

12/23/15 @ 7:45 PM
ORIGINAL POST
crobar
crobar
USER since 6/19/01
Years back we used to get Black-eyed Susan,(flowers) grubs for ice fishing. From the Milwaukee to Madison line north you couldnt find them ,cold temps, in the stalks, but closer to the Wis./Ill. line you could harvest them in the field, similar to Golden rod grubs. You would see guys coming out fishing with with Susan sticks in their 5 gal. buckets. Anyone use them anymore or is it a thing of the past. Thanks Crobar
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 17 Posts
12/13/16 @ 2:15 PM
gram
gram
USER since 11/11/14

No. I use them exclusivly. Very seldom do I buy bait. Always my choice. I gather them every fall around pheasant hunting time or after a hard frost.

Post Your Comment
12/12/16 @ 4:08 PM
quick strike
quick strike
USER since 1/3/10

Thanks ifish, you're the master of searching! I looked all over on google and couldn't find anything on grubs inside black eyed susan stems. Found a bunch about goldenrod galls though. Sounds like I need to find big patches of susies to get some grubs. Good luck this winter, quick strike.

Edited on 12/12/16 4:35 PM
Post Your Comment
12/12/16 @ 3:02 PM
ifishwi
ifishwi
USER since 1/12/05

Sorry, my bad. Suzies and golden rods are differing plants and grubs. 50 years ago that's all dad & I used besides minnows. Suzies always too hard to find but golden rods not so much. Personally I don't think either are worth anyone's time. The topic comes up almost every year and there's even more fine reading from the past here...

golden rods and black eye susans

Black Eyed Susans

Grubs in weeds

For some reason Lake-Link search doesn't always find these if you're not in the right forum but google does. Also if you Google 'black eyed susan grubs' or 'goldenrod grubs' there's a world of additional info to be had. Just trying to be helpful to the OP.

edit: Credits: guttersnake and CDS seem to be the masters of useful information of topic.

Edited on 12/12/16 3:06 PM
Post Your Comment
12/11/16 @ 5:16 PM
SkiLLz4GiLLz
SkiLLz4GiLLz
USER since 2/4/09

I remember getting them with gramps when i was younger, most i've found was 5 in one stalk...lol jackpot

Post Your Comment
12/11/16 @ 2:41 PM
quick strike
quick strike
USER since 1/3/10

that post from 12/1 was for goldenrod grubs not black eyed susans

Post Your Comment
12/11/16 @ 1:13 PM
ifishwi
ifishwi
USER since 1/12/05

Pretty good info on a recent LL post...

here on 12/1

Post Your Comment
12/11/16 @ 12:02 PM
guttersnake
guttersnake
USER since 9/15/05

Typically find them in fields or roadside ditches.theyre pretty much everywhere in Kenosha co

Post Your Comment
12/11/16 @ 10:18 AM
quick strike
quick strike
USER since 1/3/10

How are you guys finding them? Roadsides, open fields or what? I've been looking for a few months without luck. I'm not seeing any with cut off stems on the plants I see.

Post Your Comment
1/3/16 @ 4:47 PM
Chemist
Chemist
USER since 6/17/01
Well I went and grabbed a few sticks today and I found 2 of them!!

I'm pretty happy. Not that 2 is a lot, but heh, now I kind of know what to look for.

Post Your Comment
12/30/15 @ 4:48 PM
luremaker
luremaker
USER since 1/23/12
The old timers told me it was the larva of the lighting bug. I did some reasurch and don't believe that's accurate. I am still trying to figure this out. There are 2 things I look for one a sawed off stick and the other I would have to show you.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 17 Posts