Best noodle rod with solid backbone?

1/24/16 @ 9:15 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Pointer Eye Slayer
Pointer Eye Slayer
USER since 4/12/09
Hey everyone! Just wondering what you believe the best noodle rod is with a solid backbone? Was thinking about getting the Jason Mitchell meat stick. Can't really justify the $90 it costs to get a TUCR. Any thoughts?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 12 Posts
1/31/16 @ 9:29 AM
tippycanoe
tippycanoe
USER since 12/26/04
I also have a clam meatstick and love it. Very solid backbone and super sensitive tip. Cabelas has it on sale for $27.95.

Post Your Comment
1/31/16 @ 12:36 AM
greg2507
greg2507
USER since 1/13/13
I have a jason mitchell meatstick and really like it especially for the $35 dollars i paid for it. They are on sale at gander mountain for $30 right now.

Post Your Comment
1/27/16 @ 2:02 AM
abacab
abacab
USER since 12/23/03
I also like the wright and mcgill noodle rods. I have 3 of them now. Great rod for the money.

Post Your Comment
1/26/16 @ 9:32 PM
rapidsjigger24
rapidsjigger24
USER since 2/17/11
I've been really impressed with the Wright and McGill Power Ice Noodle. Relatively cheap for an off the shelf rod and liked my first one soo much I went and bought another.

Post Your Comment
1/26/16 @ 8:28 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
Some spring bobbers are worse than others. The St. Croix ones have an eye the size of a rod so you only have to keep that part ice free. Some of those smaller ones are a pain though, I agree.

Post Your Comment
1/25/16 @ 5:30 PM
Gunsnbowses
Gunsnbowses
USER since 6/17/01
As I said earlier, I have a shallow water setup I love and won't change. One of the graphite rods where the line is inside the rod. It doesn't work well for "deep" water as you have to retrieve the line hand over hand. It's got the cheap handle that folds up. Many guys even make this rod nowdays, but I've got an old setup I just can't part with.

But I am looking to use an inline reel for deeper water, so I thought a noodle would be a good choice, because the spring may freeze up when reeling in line from 20fow.

If I can't find something I like, I'll simply use a spring bobber I guess!

Post Your Comment
1/25/16 @ 12:40 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
Ever think of a regular rod with a spring bobber? I'm not a fan of noodle rods myself because of the back bone. The St. Croix rods with the nice spring bobber work well and are around $50. Can get cheaper b and c stock ones at the shop in Park Falls.

Post Your Comment
1/24/16 @ 10:03 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
USER since 10/17/04
Tickle stick

Post Your Comment
1/24/16 @ 9:57 PM
Boder
Boder
USER since 2/13/03
What are you fishing for and what baits are you gonna use? The meat stick is an awesome rod. It's not gonna work well with really small panfish jigs like 3mm tungsten jigs. It has a very nice back bone and will handle bigger game fish. It's probably the most versatile rod on the market. If I could only use one rod for ice fishing it would b the meat stick. Another noodle I like but does not have as much back bone in the St Croix avid glass.

Post Your Comment
1/24/16 @ 7:17 PM
The Fishinnut
The Fishinnut
USER since 8/11/10
Have you checked out DH customs or Thorne bros. ? Don't have any noodles but I don't think I paid $90 for any of mine except my TB tripwire ($120) like the other poster said you get what you pay for,and I LOVE that rod Wink

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 12 Posts