Best ice rod case

2/19/16 @ 3:18 PM
ORIGINAL POST
reefhawg
reefhawg
USER since 1/23/10
I've been looking at an alternative to my 5 gallon bucket method of ice rod storage, for several years actually. I am leaning towards one of the hard cases, but would like some opinions. I would like one that doesn't require the reel handles to be folded in. I see both Frabill(42") and Otter make a deluxe style case which appears in photos to allow for full combos. Any opinions/suggestions?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 Posts
2/20/16 @ 3:30 PM
walleyejak
walleyejak
USER since 1/19/10
Cool

Post Your Comment
2/20/16 @ 10:01 AM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
I bought one of the Gander rod cases in the middle of last season. I liked it enough to buy two more towards the end of the season. I bought a fourth this year as a back-up. Tucked it in the rafters of my basement.

With spinning reels attached,the case really holds 3 rods unless you'd want to risk damage...Or have to be more careful than I tend to be in the cold and wind... Two would be better.

Post Your Comment
2/19/16 @ 9:15 PM
Prop
Prop
USER since 4/9/03
As many cases I've seen on the lost an found thread. I'm thinking about going back to the 5 gallon bucket. Wink Smile

Post Your Comment
2/19/16 @ 8:04 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
I use an extra hard gun case I had laying around but I have to fold the reel handles now so that won't work for reefhawg. I wasn't sure at first but it only takes 10 seconds. I've been very happy since I've done that. No more worrying about rods breaking and they are wedged in the foam nice and tight so they aren't rattling around.

Post Your Comment
2/19/16 @ 7:48 PM
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
USER since 1/22/15
I'm curios on this too. Tired of the 5 gLlon bucket or bottom of the sled method. Gander had one that hold I think 4 rods. Looked pretty nice. For 69.99.just seen most of their stuff is 30% off ect. But I do like the otter. Prolly should go back to gander and snag a case

Post Your Comment
2/19/16 @ 4:39 PM
diver hunter 1987
diver hunter 1987
USER since 9/29/09
I use 2 styles of the blue fabric/plastic rod cases can fit 2-3 rods per case I like them because I have 1 walleye 1 panfish 1 middle rod bag which can still fit in a bucket if needed or strapped to your back also the price(10$ on sale) Tried to go with the frabill smaller hard cases but they don't fit the inline reels I have. I would say otter case is by far the best but I don't like the room it takes up and also the price 100$ ish. The one by striker ice new this year looks really nice and can be made into a back pack but once again 100$ish

Post Your Comment
2/19/16 @ 4:25 PM
The Fishinnut
The Fishinnut
USER since 8/11/10
I have 2 of the Otter boxes, I can put 4-6 combos in them and I do not have to break the handles down.

Post Your Comment