Best electric drills for augers

11/28/12 @ 2:20 PM
ORIGINAL POST
BlueGillman
BlueGillman
USER since 8/3/03
Looking for some advice/ experiences on purchasing a 18-20 volt lithium drill for ice fishing.Currently own a 6'' Lazor,planning on getting a Nils orange.Any suggestions???
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 73 Posts
3/1/17 @ 9:02 AM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

why buy a Niles when you have a lazer? It's a horse a piece IMO.  Nils cost more,  blades are more and you are getting nothing more,  I've used them both VERY often.  I agree with a MIlwaukee Drill tho,  but if you have a Lazer 6 inch you'll dig 40 holes with 12 inches of hard ice.  If you go out now,  you'll go all day and never kill that battery late ice.  I'm not a Niles fan at all.  I personally HATE a 6 inch hole for panfish and a 4.5 is too small.  I think they need to fix that problem anyway.  5 is perfect for gills and perch.  6 is good for everything else.  

Post Your Comment
2/28/17 @ 4:21 PM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
USER since 2/13/17

Milwaukee Fuel 18. Brushless, 1200 in lbs of torque. This drill with my K-Drill 8 is amazing. I drilled at least 40 holes last wed and thursday and I was still at half life. 14-17" of ice.

Post Your Comment
2/27/17 @ 10:54 PM
Fishnsilly
Fishnsilly
USER since 7/13/15
A few weeks ago I purchased a 20v Master Force brushless drill with 4ah battery and 600 lbs of torque for $100. Matched it with 6" laser auger. Went to Bago and drilled 20 holes thru 18" of ice and still had half charged battery. I thought it was a perfect setup for someone not wanting to spend too much money on a drill that will only be used for ice fishing. Drill is still on clearance sale at Menards.

Post Your Comment
2/24/17 @ 9:35 AM
baconsbaits
baconsbaits
USER since 1/12/09

i found a brushless hitiachi 18 volt hammer drill a few years ago on a huge sale at menards.  drill, 2 larger batteries, handle, case, all under $100.  torque ratings just under the big milwaukee at the time. i got the clam plat just because i prefer the feel of a traditional auger.  i however went cheap on the auger and against all reveiws i used an 8 inch mora.  i loved it the first two years... this year that mora is showing its failures.  ice drilled hard, and battery life is starting to suffer from age.   looking to try a craftsman 19.2 brushless on a better auger next year.  since i already use craftsman stuff i have lots of batterys.  keep the batteries warm, the easiest way i have found is to use one of those air activated charcoal warmers and a sock or some other way to keep it on the battery and provide a little insulation.  does the trick.  without the drillplate im into my current setup for way less then half of a new gas auger, and a quarter of a comercial electric auger.  this is one of the best things to come icefishings way in a long time,  and it keeps getting better as more use it.

bacon

Post Your Comment
2/23/17 @ 12:05 PM
1fowl one
1fowl one
USER since 12/9/10

You can't go wrong with the Milwaukee fuel elec tools. But batteries are just as important. Some kits come with a small battery. Get at least the red lithium XC or the XC 5.0.

Post Your Comment
2/23/17 @ 11:28 AM
Fish Hound
Fish Hound
USER since 1/29/02

I just finished the first full season with the Milwaukee M18 Fuel - Model 2706 (there are several models of the M18 but this is the one with 1,200 in-pounds of torque) and the 8" K-Drill. I couldn't be happier!!!

Drilled faster and easier than Jiffy Pro-4 and new Ion-x side by side. Had several friends buy the after trying mine and other say it's next years purchase.

Post Your Comment
2/4/17 @ 9:32 AM
hunter270
hunter270
USER since 4/2/14

I just picked up a Milwaukee on ebay for  $222 brushless. And I use the k drill. Love the set up. 

Post Your Comment
2/4/17 @ 6:15 AM
gforce
gforce
MEMBER since 8/12/01

Had the 6 inch Ion for 5 years. Same battery for 5 years. It is light and drills excellent. Batteries are expensive but you get what you pay for. The torques are not as high as some so once in a while you need a rubber mallet to knock the ice off the fins. I started a thread on it about 4 years ago which lasted quite a while. Still might be around. Called "The Ion Files".

Post Your Comment
2/4/17 @ 12:04 AM
CBQRR1
CBQRR1
USER since 4/4/06

I just picked up a Master Force 20volt lith. with 600 in-pd of torque and a new Strikemaster 7 in auger. It is a great setup.  Goes through 14 inches of ice in seconds.  The higher the torque the better the it will cut through the ice.  I had a Black and Decker 112 in-pd drill and a Strikemaster 5 inch auger setup.  worked great for 3 years.  A few weeks ago it started smoking real bad when drilling holes.  That's when I started doing my research for the highest torque drill my money could afford.  $160 for the drill and $45 for the auger on sale.  I'm thinking it could handle an 8 in auger but do not have one to try on it.  But then what is one less inch in diameter?  I don't go for big fish just pannies.

Post Your Comment
2/3/17 @ 4:55 PM
twobuck
twobuck
USER since 12/27/11

Milwaukee hammer drill with side handle is the best. I use it with the K-Drill .The best combination out there. 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 73 Posts