Best electric drills for augers

11/28/12 @ 1:20 PM
ORIGINAL POST
BlueGillman
BlueGillman
USER since 8/3/03
Looking for some advice/ experiences on purchasing a 18-20 volt lithium drill for ice fishing.Currently own a 6'' Lazor,planning on getting a Nils orange.Any suggestions???
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 80 Posts
TODAY @ 1:09 AM
Ulbian
Ulbian
USER since 9/24/03

"Just about every brand makes a high torque brushless drill now that are 500-750 in/lbs and if you already use that brand and have batteries they might be a better option for you."

This is the most sane comment about using a drill I've seen in a long time. The Milwaukee drills are nice but they aren't the only ones out there that will work despite what the fan boys of that brand will tell you.  

-Minimum torque of 500 pounds...the higher the better...obviously

-Brushless 

-Large capacity batteries. Minimum of 4ah. Many drills will be sold with 1.5 or 2.0ah batteries. Those won't get you very far.  

-Keep batteries warm

-Hammer drills are necessary. They will have higher torque ratings and will typically have beefier gearing inside of them 

-Set drill on low speed

-Set drill on "drill." Not on "hammer."  

-Crank the torque setting way up. 

-Make sure your blades are sharp

-Understand blade types...which ones are aggressive, which ones are not as aggressive

-Mate the drill with a bit that will not kill the drill. A 500lb drill turning a 10 inch bit is dumb. You'll kill the drill. If you want bigger holes you'll need a drill with more torque.  

Post Your Comment
12/15/17 @ 11:51 AM
baconsbaits
baconsbaits
USER since 1/12/09

Milwaukee offer enough drills to create confusion.  The 2703 is 1200in/lbs. The 2704 a s the hammer drill version at 1200in/lb.   The 2701 and 2702 is 750 in/lbs I think.  There is a small brushless that is 500 in/lbs.  These are the newest models, there are other older models that all work, but the 270X models are kinda the end all be all right now.  And price comparison to others is close enough to just go that way since Milwaukee batteries are really ahead of others Imo.  Just about every brand makes a high torque brushless drill now that are 500-750 in/lbs and if you already use that brand and have batteries they might be a better option for you.    Bacon

Post Your Comment
12/14/17 @ 9:34 PM
MRGLAX
MRGLAX
USER since 10/20/05
No you are not going to get "a ton more torque" by going to a different battery.  The Ah rating is measure of capacity.  Will putting a bigger gas tank in your car make it more powerful? No, but it will drive farther.

Post Your Comment
12/14/17 @ 6:59 PM
perch chaser
perch chaser
USER since 2/6/03
Anyone upgrade from the  M18 fuel 3.5A. XC to the 9A. XC battery. Supposedly a ton of more torque, a big advantage when using a larger dia. auger. Wondering if the standard side handle will still hold up and if you  need to upgrade to a different milwaukee charger? The weight is a beast, 2.4# almost 5# if you carry around two all day, that's the only disadvantage I can really see.   

Post Your Comment
12/14/17 @ 3:01 PM
GILLSURGEON
GILLSURGEON
USER since 12/1/16

No doubt the Milwaukee M18 Fuel is my recommendation, they now also have 9amp battery for that drill which is what you need for ice, its all about the amps, coupled with a K-Drill and you have the best system you can get. Trust me I've owned every auger out there.

Post Your Comment
12/14/17 @ 3:03 AM
MRGLAX
MRGLAX
USER since 10/20/05

If you're worried about expensive, finicky, impossible to sharpen blades I'm not sure the Nils is the one for you.  I've used a 6" Nils on a Clam plate with a Dewalt 996.  It shreds through ice right up until you hit any sort of imperfection and then you get to not use your auger while you send the head in to Frank De Luca to get sharpened or order a new one for $60 bucks online.

The 996 seemed like a decent drill for the setup.  There's a guy on e-bay selling them for $150 for just the bare drill and a 5ah battery.  Add a charger and you've got a good drill with the big battery for under $200.

Post Your Comment
12/13/17 @ 9:17 PM
Wooferwuff
Wooferwuff
USER since 4/23/15

Oops!! Kind of intended to direct my reply to USAbrams1991.

Are your torque spec's right though??? On the M18v Fuel brushless cordless drill the only spec's I see or can find is 725lbs. of torque. Now if your using the M18v Fuel brushless IMPACT drill or I think they also make the M18v Fuel in a drill/driver(to many models to choose from), I could see 1200lbs of torque being it has 2 or 3 different speed settings and perhaps a drill lock position on the collar(all recommendations say to use your lowest speed settings when drilling holes thru the ice).  Just been shopping my self last two days for a drill and of course best deal in price and can't decide yet what to get. As far as auger's, I disagree with some views on if you have a SM Lazer already, why did you go with a Nils? Mostly MPO, but I see where my Lazer would grab sometime's. If people think other's have poor blade's on their augers, SM Lazers are about the closest thing to Highway Robbery you can buy or have. What percentage of owner's can sharpen them correctly, even if you have experience yourself sharpening other brand auger blade's? Now the SM Lazer hand auger blade's, yes, you can touch them up, but on their Power Auger's is a different story. Either or, the price SM charges for new blade's has to be a big money maker for the company. In comparison with going with a Nils instead this year and a cordless drill, again my own MPO, but after reviews and comments the blade's issues and maintenance is going to be less expensive for me in the long run. Plus I like all video's I've seen of the Nils cutting performance versus a SM Lazer. Just have to decided on a cordless drill purchase here soon. Ugh!!!

Edited on 12/13/17 9:21 PM
Post Your Comment
3/1/17 @ 8:02 AM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

why buy a Niles when you have a lazer? It's a horse a piece IMO.  Nils cost more,  blades are more and you are getting nothing more,  I've used them both VERY often.  I agree with a MIlwaukee Drill tho,  but if you have a Lazer 6 inch you'll dig 40 holes with 12 inches of hard ice.  If you go out now,  you'll go all day and never kill that battery late ice.  I'm not a Niles fan at all.  I personally HATE a 6 inch hole for panfish and a 4.5 is too small.  I think they need to fix that problem anyway.  5 is perfect for gills and perch.  6 is good for everything else.  

Post Your Comment
2/28/17 @ 3:21 PM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
USER since 2/13/17

Milwaukee Fuel 18. Brushless, 1200 in lbs of torque. This drill with my K-Drill 8 is amazing. I drilled at least 40 holes last wed and thursday and I was still at half life. 14-17" of ice.

Post Your Comment
2/27/17 @ 9:54 PM
Fishnsilly
Fishnsilly
USER since 7/13/15
A few weeks ago I purchased a 20v Master Force brushless drill with 4ah battery and 600 lbs of torque for $100. Matched it with 6" laser auger. Went to Bago and drilled 20 holes thru 18" of ice and still had half charged battery. I thought it was a perfect setup for someone not wanting to spend too much money on a drill that will only be used for ice fishing. Drill is still on clearance sale at Menards.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 80 Posts