SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Auger size

12/27/18 @ 9:05 PM
INITIAL POST
Solid
User since 5/25/06

This will be my first year ice fishing.  What size auger would you guys recommend?  I would most likely be going out on Lake Winnebago for panfish and sturgeon bay for whitefish.  Would 6 inch be enough or should I upgrade to 8?  I would probably be using hand auger and if I really want to be serious next year I will upgrade to a gas.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 40 posts
1/23/19 @ 7:51 AM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
User since 2/13/17

If you're hand augering 20-24" of ice, God love you. Also, stick with a 6.

1/22/19 @ 8:58 PM
ducks forever
User since 10/15/07

From my experience a 8 inch is the smallest I would go. I have an old jiffy with a 7 inch auger that I used for a number of years. Now that I've gotten into fishing Whitefish a lot more. I run a 10 in. When I was using the 7-inch I lost a lot of fish trying to get them to turn and come up the hole in deep ice conditions. For me it's a lot easier to get big fish to come up a bigger hole. You could do it with the 6in but would just make it harder in my opinion

1/22/19 @ 7:57 PM
Jamie G
User since 12/2/05

One advantage the 6" has over an 8" hole for whitefish is if and when they get off in the hole they don't have enough room to turn around and swim away before you can grab em.....talking from past experience 

12/29/18 @ 2:25 PM
Fishsqueezer
User since 5/19/06

I was given the OK by my accountant (wife) to buy an auger about a year ago. Originally planned to pick up a jiffy or Eskimo propane but upon reading up on the electric augers I decided to go that route. So it was between the ion x and the strike master 40v and I ultimately went with the strike master 8” after watching some videos where the strike master consistently outperformed the Ion like 3 holes to two. Plus it came with an extra battery. I’m not hardcore but a little more than a casual ice fisherman and it’s been awesome for me so far. But I can see how the hardcore hole hoppers would still prefer internal combustion. 

12/29/18 @ 2:01 PM
walleyeguy1988
User since 5/28/12

I run the strikemaster 40V 8". Went from hand auger to this. Seems to be the way to go.

Chevy or Ford?

Strawberry or Grape jelly?

Gas Auger or Battery?

Always going to be a fan group for one or the other. Two things we can all agree on though is Aaron Rodgers is overpaid for what he does and Hillary should be in prison

But in all honesty, battery is the way of the future of ice fishing! :)

12/29/18 @ 12:13 PM
jwog666
jwog666
User since 7/30/10

Gas augers are hardly obsolete,  if my gas blew up tomorrow I would buy another gas. Never have to charge a battery, don't have to keep batteries warm, don't have to keep a drill from getting wet, just like it better. That and the cost is about the same once you get done buying the overpriced auger, plate with gearbox and drill. I like the idea, don't let me wrong, but I wouldn't buy a k drill unless it was half the cost of a gas setup. I run 10" and only 10". Not going to mess around with 3 different auger bits, plenty of room for the transducer without having to pull it with every fish, and gives more room to help get those big pike heads up without shredding the florocarbon leaders on the edge of the hole.

12/29/18 @ 11:24 AM
brews4995
brews4995
User since 4/2/10

I can't keep batteries on my drills effective for more than a couple years without replacing them and I don't use them very hard.  I hate to think what an auger would do to them. 9 years on my 9" jiffy and never a problem. I will stick with that. Couple years ago everyone was saying propane was the only way, what happened to  them, is anyone buying them anymore?

Am I the only guy who has only 1auger?

12/29/18 @ 10:30 AM
markrazzy
User since 6/23/09

I used to be in the camp that bigger was always better. Started with the 10" Lazer pro with the solo motor. Was especially nice for Lake Erie eyes. Used it for about 5 years, then sold that auger bit and got an 8" lazer bit for the gas auger. Works great for the fishing I do with a 6" Lazer hand auger for early ice. The last two years, I got a 6" fin bore III hand auger (not available in US) that I use at early ice... And I've actually used that longer and longer for panfish and walleyes. The fin bore is nice because it's essentially a lazer hand auger with an offset handle. Don't even need a drill for it, very easy drilling. Bonus that it takes lazer blades so I don't have to deal with the head, like a Nils. My gas auger is still holding on strong and it's drilled a lot of holes in the last 9 seasons.

I'm not interested at all in going with the power drill route, k drill, clam plate. The 40V strikemaster does interest me. Quick holes, long battery life... My only concern with all these battery options is how many seasons will the batteries last? Three seasons from now, will everyone be buying more lithium battery packs because theirs don't hold a charge anymore? I'm very tempted to find out, but it's hard to get rid of an auger that has been so good to me to find out. 

As far as Green Bay whitefish, bago pannies, and even bago eyes, I think 6" is fine. 

12/29/18 @ 10:22 AM
JamesD
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

Since gas augers are obsolete and worthless...

I'll be willing to take any Strike master 8" gas augers with the 2hp Tecumseh. I'll provide this service free of charge.

I've never had a problem with mine, but I'm willing to help you guys.

12/29/18 @ 10:12 AM
lip rippin
User since 4/16/09

Gas augers have gone the way of the Dinosaur. Save your money and by the one you want from the get go. 

12/29/18 @ 6:01 AM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

The legendary Dave Genz uses a 6 inch auger for both panfish and whitefish. I’m sure he has a ton of augers at his disposal, but that’s what he uses. Nuff said.

If you are using a hand auger, as the question was put forth, it’s twice as hard to drill an 8 inch hole as a 6 inch hole, in my opinion.

12/29/18 @ 4:47 AM
SkiLLz4GiLLz
SkiLLz4GiLLz
User since 2/4/09

I hear ya ice, love my 10in eskimo gas auger. Viper engine is quiet, though a win for the folks that live on the lake when I turn ice into swiss cheese early mornings and late night excursions. Lol

12/28/18 @ 9:41 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

Ulb.  I have an idea!  Do what we used to do. Use a spud! Cheap,light, quiet. Needs no gas or battery,only a file.    CARPIO.  Lol.  

12/28/18 @ 8:23 PM
kyl_me
User since 7/21/08

These guys are all wrong. You want an 8” gas auger, I (and many others) have one to sell you on the cheap. 

I now use the a Milwaukee drill and 6” laser most of the time, but switch to the Milwaukee with a clam plate and 8” laser later in the year. No issues punching holes with either. The Milwaukee has 1200in-lb. people say all you need is 700 in-lb, it may work most of the time, but go big if you can. The octane drill with 9amp hour battery is currently on sale for under $200, good deal.  

I like to be mobile, so the 6” gets the call most of the time. 

If you want an 8” gas auger, just post a WTB in the trading post and you can have your pick. 

12/28/18 @ 2:48 PM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

i have a 6 inch mora hand auger that i could cut through 2 feet of ice in fairly easily as far as hand augers are concerned and i used that as my sole auger until i bought my ion this year.  however, i've used 8 inch hand augers and lets just say it's not fun if there is more than say 7 or 8 inches of ice. it makes you not want to ever change spots.  i'll use my mora early ice even with the ion and if i needed a hand auger it would be a six inch.  make sure to keep sharp blades.  

Displaying 1 to 15 of 40 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE