atv floats

1/30/13 @ 8:38 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Whitetails-Fishtails G&O
Whitetails-Fishtails G&O
USER since 1/8/13
Big tires make them float. No plans needed.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 23 Posts
10/5/15 @ 2:06 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER since 6/22/01
icefitchin, the dane county inspectors do check everything, but they're pretty good about giving the permits. A coworker of mine showed up one time to renew his and they didn't even check and said it was his responsibility to make sure the atv floats if it breaks through. I got the nebulus float for my snowmobile last year and they just made sure I had the tether attached around my steering wheel. Obviously if my snowmobile falls through the ice the nebulus won't prevent it from going under, but it won't sink to the bottom either. Works for me! I spent as much money on the Nebulus (400) as I did the sled a few years ago! But I ice fish enough to figure it was worth it vs paying someone 20 bucks a ride each time I wanted to do some perch fishing out on Mendota!

Post Your Comment
10/3/15 @ 8:20 AM
icefitchin
icefitchin
USER since 12/13/03
Ive read that info before.

I guess im just curious how picky they are. Do they verify what type of flotation material is in your float?

Post Your Comment
10/2/15 @ 11:02 AM
icefitchin
icefitchin
USER since 12/13/03
Couple questions, im hoping you guys can help me with.

Im going to be building some floats for my atv. Ive got a Kolpin convertible rack on the back of my ATV. Can I attach the floats to the rack, or does it have to be mounted directly to the ATV? Do I have to have the same sq/ft of floats on the front and rear?

Second, how picky are they when inspecting? Do they need to remove the top to inspect what type of floatation material is used?

Thanks

Post Your Comment
1/9/15 @ 7:20 AM
bigstorm
bigstorm
USER since 1/10/05
Just finished mine last night, going to get them inspected Saturday morning. Made a 3ft x 1ft x 1ft box out of 2x2's and 7/16" OSB and filled with styrofoam (1 box for the front and 1 for the back)

Edited on 1/9/15 7:20 AM
Post Your Comment
1/8/15 @ 9:58 PM
ksjmaj
ksjmaj
USER since 1/7/14
Willfish4food - The reason you only need 5 CF is because ATVs float because of the wheels. therefore you only need to have 5 CF of floatation. it is mostly so you can have something to hang onto.

I called and spoke to them and it is a total of 5CF for an ATV under 750#. It is supposed to be distributed evenly front to back. So 2.5 CF on front and 2.5CF on back.

However that picture shown has the floats in the back only.

Post Your Comment
11/10/14 @ 6:31 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
How much money does Dane county make for for these Government Forced Float Boxes? If I lived in Dane, I would have to move. Sorry you guys have to go through all of that junk.

Post Your Comment
11/10/14 @ 2:10 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER since 6/22/01
Does anyone know how to mount the Nebulus packs on a snowmobile? I'm looking at this option for this year, but I need to know how I can legally attach it to my snowmobile so I can get the Dane County permit.

Post Your Comment
11/10/14 @ 12:27 PM
dpacapt
dpacapt
MEMBER since 1/16/09
That is exactly what it says, you need 5 cubic ft for an atv, the examples they give you are for 1 cubic ft of flotation, multiply each by 5 for the length you need, then divide that by 2 to make 2 floats for your atv, one on each side or one in front & one in back For example: 12 inch cylinder X 15 inches long = 1 cubic ft, so 15" x 5 = 75" divided by 2 = 37.5" long so you would need 2 cylinders 12" diameter by 37.5" long for an atv, to get 5 cubic ft of flotation.

Edited on 11/10/14 12:28 PM
Post Your Comment
1/23/14 @ 11:20 PM
Ice Duels
Ice Duels
USER since 12/28/13
A quick and easy fix...and Dane County approved http://www.j-wheelz.com

Post Your Comment
1/31/13 @ 7:18 PM
DecoysRUSM
DecoysRUSM
USER since 9/15/12
For Madison you need 5 cubic ft. for a atv. I built my boxes 12"x12" and 3 feet long. More than what you need for Madison. Used plywood and 1" square stock. Screwed it all together and chaulked all screwes and seams. I put u-bolts inside on the bottom and it bolts easally to the machine. Can be taken on or off fairly quickly. Painted both then added a wood bracket for the auger on the front box and I can add my bucket holder on the top the rear one. Also have for holders on the back box. Works great. Hope that helps.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 23 Posts