Are gaff's legal in Wisconsin?

2/2/15 @ 1:56 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Fisher Doon
Fisher Doon
USER since 1/19/09
Can a gaff be used to land large fish through the ice? Mainly pike. I've never used one, and don't even own one, but have had a few times where one would have come in handy. Spoke to a few fellow fishermen who thought they were illegal. Thoughts? I did search the DNR sight for about 10 minutes and didn't see much about them. Not saying it's not there, but I couldn't find it. Thanks, FD
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 Posts
2/2/15 @ 7:12 PM
Fisher Doon
Fisher Doon
USER since 1/19/09
Thanks for the info guys. I'll call the DNR number tomorrow after work.

Post Your Comment
2/2/15 @ 6:30 PM
Tim_T
Tim_T
USER since 6/17/11
I hope they are! I've been using one ever since I can remember.

Tim

P.S. Ditto to what the previous poster said. You can even chat online instead of calling the number he listed.

Post Your Comment
2/2/15 @ 5:47 PM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
Next time you have a legal question regarding WDNR regulations,give them a call. They're happy to give you a correct answer and you don't have to search for 10 minutes and you don't have to trust folks you don't know.

Call Center Staff Available 7 Days a Week (7 a.m.-10 p.m.) Call Toll Free 1-888-WDNRINFo (1-888-936-7463)

Edited on 2/2/15 5:48 PM
Post Your Comment
2/2/15 @ 5:44 PM
drummer boy
drummer boy
USER since 3/14/08
We use to braze a large treble hook to a steel shaft,it works better than a gaff for ice fishing.

Post Your Comment
2/2/15 @ 2:02 PM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
Legal. Just don't hook undersized fish through the guts. Wardens might have a problem with killing fish that won't be part of your bag. Mrt.

Post Your Comment