MEMBER since 2/22/08
What do you ice fisherman think of these cameras? Pros and Cons.... Cool
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 Posts
4/24/16 @ 9:16 PM
CHARIPAR BROS.
CHARIPAR BROS.
USER since 6/16/08
I found a used one at a pawn-chain store for $60!!! I agree it is hard to see in daylight. Also infrared lights don't help in dark dirty water-all you see is plankton-like stuff. Otherwise it beats carrying the old AquaView black and white mini-TV ; )

Post Your Comment
4/24/16 @ 9:05 PM
CHARIPAR BROS.
CHARIPAR BROS.
USER since 6/16/08
I was about to buy one at Cabelas bargain cave but backed off after realizing it wasn't a real good deal. Month later I came across one at Pawn America. I spent half hour in the store looking it over, and bought it for $60!!! I couldn't believe it; it works great except in dark dirty water, even the infrared lights don't help. But clear water it has AWESOME color display. I agree it is hard to see in daylight, and the plastic spool for the cable broke off in my bib pocket ; )

Post Your Comment
2/24/16 @ 8:19 PM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
USER since 2/8/06
I bought my Micro when they first introduced them. I couldn't be happier with the performance of my unit. Even though I have used it for open water Walleye fishing. I bought it for use on the ice. This unit has made a huge difference in my fishing success by allowing me to not only pinpoint the area I'm looking to fish, but it allows me to veiw my bait as I set it. I target large predetor gamefish and use both live and dead bait. Once I lower my baits to the depth I want I use the Micro to see that my dead bait is positioned correctly or my live bait is able to freely work the area I want.

Just last weekend I lowered it to check a bait that I set earlier and got to watch a huge Northern swim in and show interest in my bait. I pulled the camera up and quietly walked away and within 5 minutes I was setting the hook.

I carry mine in the pouch of my hoodie while I'm on the ice which keeps it safe and warmer than a jacket pocket. When I'm traveling out to my target are I keep it in the factory case in my backpack. I also remove it from the case to charge and allow it to dry when I return home.

Post Your Comment
2/24/16 @ 5:11 PM
boge
boge
USER since 2/2/06
Man I gotta tell you,Ive had one for a few years and hardly ever use it.If you are in any kind of sun its worthless.It does come in handy for other uses,and what it needs is a kind of tube that you could press against your face to shield the light out.That kind of defeats the "small"factor.I don't like it and regret buying it.

Post Your Comment
2/24/16 @ 9:42 AM
northernexsposure
northernexsposure
USER since 3/15/08
Huntin2, I just throw it over the side of the boat while at anchor or drifting. I use it to check the weeds and cribs. You can see A LOT farther with it in the summer, no ice and snow to block all the light and it comes up in color if you are in a clear lake. I fish some sand grass in 30' of water, amazing how many fish are laying around in that stuff in the summer that doesn't show up on sonar. Very handy to tell if it is worth fishing or to keep moving. I never leave it in the water and watch my bait, I just use it as a scouting tool.

Post Your Comment
2/23/16 @ 6:41 PM
Madgill
Madgill
MEMBER since 12/26/01
Now I bought one this year, Farm & Fleet for $200, I quite like it, still playing around with it. Nice and easy, fits in the pocket, just another tool to find fish. It's been working great for me on the Madison lakes, seems to work better in clearer water and the view is much better inside the shanty without sunlight. I sat on Cherokee Marsh one afternoon with a perfect picture down the hole and watched the fish ignore my bait, quite cool, a good picture. I need to get the mount that will hook up on the blue box. Lot's of YouTube videos will give you ideas on how to use this, hooking to a pole and poking around under docks in summer looks interesting! A good tool, I'm gonna hook it to a pole and poke around under my deck this spring and see where that darn rabbit has a hole.

Post Your Comment
2/23/16 @ 12:41 PM
Huntin2
Huntin2
USER since 1/31/08
northernexsposure, what is your open water technique. Do you have it mounted to your trolling motor? I just bought the trolling motor mount but have not used it yet.

Post Your Comment
2/22/16 @ 8:17 AM
northernexsposure
northernexsposure
USER since 3/15/08
I got the MicroVu plus. They are very handy, fits in your pocket or tackle box and gives a nice clear picture. I fish a lot of walk on lakes and it is perfect. And in the summer is where you can drop it over the side of the boat and check things out. I use mine more in open water than during the winter. But I have had several issues with it not working properly. When I first got it I had to take it back several times and exchange for a different one because, they wouldn't turn on, cable holder was broke, or the unit wasn't sealed and when you opened it the top yellow part wasn't attached to the black base part. Finally got one that worked and within a year it quit working, sent it in and got a new one without any hassle. Now about a year and a half into the new one the cord for the camera must have a bad wire in it because it just shows a blue screen but if I wiggle the cord about 6 foot from the end just right it will turn on. I take it as easy on it as I can but issues keep popping up. My review is they are great but are prone to problems. Mine is about 3 years old so maybe they have fixed some of these issues, but by looking at reviews on other sites I am not the only one have problems with them.

Post Your Comment