???anyone ever checkout a smittys sled

12/13/13 @ 10:26 AM
ORIGINAL POST
shakey47
shakey47
USER since 7/15/05
its a sled built on skis to haul your shack out ,but I cant figure out how to attach it to skis don't want bolts hanging out bottom and ideas let me know thanks cuz im doing this cuz I busted the bottom on my clam and for what they want its cheaper to buy a new one to replace it but that aint in budget now its got a hole and huge crack gonna try sheet metal and rivits I think doubt jb will hold up
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts
9/11/14 @ 8:40 PM
kyl_me
kyl_me
USER since 7/21/08
Use mine with my frabill 2 man flip over. Works great. Have two now, one out of 2x4, one out of 2x8 when the snow gets real deep. Pulls way easier.

Post Your Comment
9/11/14 @ 7:43 PM
jchunter76
jchunter76
USER since 12/12/10
I built one a couple of years ago and use it for my 2 man Frabill when the snow makes it a pain to pull. That is when I don't have my snowmobile with anyways. I'd say it cuts the work in half. Definitely worth having a smitty sled.

Post Your Comment
9/11/14 @ 8:59 AM
Thump55
Thump55
USER since 7/19/04
I have one I made a few years ago for sale. Skis with an aluminum angle frame and flat top. Message me and I will send pics if you want.

It is much easier than pulling just a shack, especially if it is heavy and there is snow.

Post Your Comment
9/11/14 @ 8:22 AM
icefitchin
icefitchin
USER since 12/13/03
How big a difference do these sled really make? I sold my 1 man pop up this summer, and want to buy a large 2 man this winter, but I do all my travel on foot. I see some of these shacks can weigh 110- 130lbs.

Does the sled really help? Id like to buy the shack and make a sled, if its really worth it.

Thanks

Post Your Comment
12/14/13 @ 11:08 AM
chickbeerfire
chickbeerfire
USER since 3/30/07
Smitty Sleds are sweet. Little bit more stuff to bring with, but pretty cool design

I opted for the easier version, mounted skiis to the tub. Buy some cheap skiis from Goodwill or something. Hacksaw off the ends. Drill some holes thru the skiis and thru the tub. Counter sink the holes in the skiis. Run the stainless bolts thru the skiis and tub and use some loctite. Your nuts will be in the floor of the tub. Your done. Pulls fine, saves the tub from being worn out and it costs about 10 bucks. One tip i do, dont pull your shack on anything besides grass and ice.. concrete and pavement is bad for anything.

Post Your Comment
12/13/13 @ 1:35 PM
CazTrait
CazTrait
USER since 6/15/01
I don't know the details, it's not my sled in the picture. Do as others suggest and check out iceshanty.com, search for "smitty sled", grab a beer or two, get comfortable and start reading. Anything you ever wanted to know about smitty sleds can be found there.

Post Your Comment
12/13/13 @ 1:19 PM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
USER since 2/8/06
CazTrait - That's one of the nicest mods I've seen done to a flip over. I've been wanting to do something for mine and didn't like the idea of a full Smitty Sled. How did you fasten the sled brackets and what material did you use for those?

Post Your Comment
12/13/13 @ 12:39 PM
kyl_me
kyl_me
USER since 7/21/08
Yeah, Iceshanty has more than you could care to know about the smitty sled. I have made 2, one picture is posted on thread below.

I did like someone else mentioned, pre-drill the ski into the wood base, then counter sink the hole for a long deck screw. The cross members are removable so it gets much more compact; couple of bolts sticking out each end of the 2x4 cross members...PM me if you want more detailed pictures, I can get them at home.

http://www.lake-link.com/forums/Ice-Fishing/discuss.cfm/103782/Frabill-Trekker-Max-Ice-Shanty

Post Your Comment
12/13/13 @ 11:22 AM
jeffm
jeffm
USER since 12/9/09
Go over to iceshanty.com and search "smitty sled". Many posts with pictures. A couple of skis and 2x4s or 2x6s and your set. As far as attaching the skis, just use 3-4 inch deck screws and countersink them so they are flush to the bottom of the skis. You can also google smitty sled and find some pics

Post Your Comment
12/13/13 @ 11:03 AM
CazTrait
CazTrait
USER since 6/15/01
Guys who want removable skis that stow nice use conduit risers on the skis and a couple u-bolts on the sides of the sleds. Slide the risers up through the u-bolts for transport, then you can easily slide the skis out when you set up to fish. See pic.

Most just seem to build a solid frame for the skis which you can set your shack/sled on top of and just bungie or ratchet-strap it down to the frame for transport.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts