Any structured ice safety-rescue training for teens available?

12/25/14 @ 7:21 AM
ORIGINAL POST
rodmaker
rodmaker
USER since 9/21/04
I have been trying to set this up for a couple of years but with the recent tragedy in central wisconsin it just re-enforces the need. Are there any formalized ice safety-rescue presentations out there that can be presented at our local high school through our Outdoors Club? DNR? Local fishing clubs? It would be very beneficial to provide, during the school day, an hour long assembly on ice fishing safety and self rescue and assisted rescue. This would benefit student ice anglers and snowmobilers. If that is possible I see us inviting students from area high schools to attend also. We would be happy to pay a speaker if need be. Any help would be appreciated. Buzz
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 Posts
12/25/14 @ 1:11 PM
fisher88
fisher88
USER since 1/21/08
Correct, YouTube does have a few. Also there has been a video floating around on Lake-Link in the past years on this. I have not seen it yet this year. However, yes they are very good in helping get the point acrossed to us viewers, but nothing like it would be if it was presented. It my be worth checking with a local fire/rescue department, they usually have the equipment for this kinda event. I am 26 years old and I would definitely recommend doing this. I know at my age I would still go see something like this. I don't take chances on the ice but you never know, it might not be you that you are saving either.

Let me know where you are at and if I could help in anyway.

Post Your Comment
12/25/14 @ 10:39 AM
Stevekeno
Stevekeno
USER since 12/21/08
There are several very good rescue training videos on You-Tube, just google them. Would think one could choose a couple and make up a program from them... A very good idea that I'd think would be welcomed by any school...

Post Your Comment