MORE
Ice Fishing

*** What is the best Pop-Up ***

2/18/16 @ 7:28 PM
INITIAL POST
Clam89
Clam89
User since 12/16/15
I have a Clam Nanook, but thinking of getting a pop-up one as well for when I have a few people fishing with me. I want something that 3-4 guys can fit in comfortably. Something like the picture I posted, open to Clam, Eskimo, etc. Any recommendations? I would like to be able to stand up in it as well, I'm 6' Thanks in advance!!
Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
12/14/18 @ 8:49 PM
AWichman
AWichman
User since 1/6/16

Otter would be my first choice because they are proven year after year to be the most durable and they put a lot of thought into the design. My second would be the Eskimo hubs. I may be biased because I’ve been running Otter now for about 20 years and really only upgrade because I find my needs changing or in some cases the thermal was too good to not go to. The Eskimo shacks have really stepped their game up. I’ve fished out of them a few times and can’t really say anything negative about them. They are really well made. The one I would avoid is Clam, they make too many models now and the quality has dropped over the last few years in my opinion. 

12/14/18 @ 5:02 PM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03

I have the Shappell Wide House 6500 and I love it.  When I shopped around before I got mine several years ago, I felt that the Shappell had the thickest, highest quality shell.  They use 600-denier polyester.  Eskimo and others use 300-denier.  The window locations on Clams are terrible if you are tip up fishing.  They are two high when sitting and two low when you stand.  And the Shappell was the cheapest when I bought and I think it is slightly bigger than the 949.

12/14/18 @ 3:32 PM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

I have an Eskimo 949i.  Upgraded from the 747i version.  I haven't used it yet, but I can say this...if you are getting a pop up, get the insulated one.  You will stay much warmer and drier.  

I popped mine up, on the lawn.  Took all of about 30 seconds to pop it up.  Can't imagine the anchors are any more difficult to put into the ice than the 747i version.  But...I do take the Milwaukee Electric drill with me, so that becomes very easy.

12/14/18 @ 11:16 AM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Eskimo came out with the Outbreak 450i this year.  It is an insulated house that started out as a 949, they added a 5th small panel to the roof that starts as a V and ends at the walls about 36".  This is all door that goes all the way to the ice.  There is no fabric in a D shaped door to trip on when you walk in.  Allows you walk in very easily, no material for kids, older folks or us fat guys to trip on.  Well worth a look.

2/24/16 @ 10:52 AM
northernexsposure
User since 3/15/08
A couple of years ago I was looking to get one and after looking them all over at a ice fishing show I thought the Eskimo Fatfish 949I was the beast out there. While I was waiting for a sale to go on them my Dad won a Clam Bigfoot at a raffle and didn't want it. I gave him $100 for it and it has been good to me. Haven't looked at the updates over the last couple of years but at the time the eskimo's windows velcroed in but the Clam's(mine)windows are fixed. If one ever cracks (and it is only a matter of time)there is no replacing it. I believe Clam's are replacable now but not sure. I think they are all good if you take care of them. I always bring mine in the basement and dry it off after every use.
2/23/16 @ 4:25 PM
Clam89
Clam89
User since 12/16/15
Thanks guys! If anyone knows a buddy trying to get rid of any hubs send them my way! Not in a huge rush to get one.
2/20/16 @ 3:57 PM
FlyAllDay
User since 11/2/04
I have the eskimo 949I and can give you the plus and negative. Positive is it is tall and roomy and stays relatively warm with just a mr. buddy going. Two doors are nice and 3 people is ideal...4 would be crowded. Negatives are it is pretty long to carry on your back...I manage to go about 1/4 mile and that is enough for me. It hits the back of your calfs and goes above your head. I recommend getting a larger sled to drag it in would be ideal. The ice anchors it comes with do not screw in like butter. It probably takes 2 people 10 minutes to work together to get it popped up. I recommend ice anchoring at least 2 hubs or else they will buckle in wind. The big advantage versus a regular shanty is weight and room.
2/20/16 @ 10:47 AM
Clam89
Clam89
User since 12/16/15
I have been thinking about the 949! Glad to know it will fit a few guys. The CLAM is the closest one to the 949? Fits 3-4 guys comfortably?
2/19/16 @ 12:02 PM
pwbobber
User since 2/20/08
I have clam xl 4000t. It's very roomy at 96"x96" with 82 inch center head room. It's insulated so it stays warm with no condensation. It has a large bag that it easily stores in but a little heavy. Only used it a few times but so far I like it very much.
2/19/16 @ 10:02 AM
jjwegs
jjwegs
User since 2/15/12
I have the Eskimo 949 as well and it's a nice hub pop up. I have fished 4 guys out of it. It was tight, but we managed. 3 guys fish with no problems. My recommendation would be to spend a little more and go with an insulated model. Keeps it warmer inside, prevents frost buildup inside, keeps windows clear, and prevents the rain drops of condensation down your back. Also, read the forum "Hub in wind" - you have to be sure to tie it down in anything more than a light breeze or you'll have a kite on your hands. I almost burned my shanty down last year because I didn't have a hub properly tied up. The wind popped it in while I was out checking a tip up, knocked the heater onto my chair and burned the chair inside the tent. Lost a chair, a clear vinyl window in the tent, and some prideSmile Good lesson learned.
2/18/16 @ 7:58 PM
BASSNASSN
User since 3/31/07
Eskimo 949 can easily sit 4 fish 3 comfortably lots of room and height. Packs a bit large but has some very nice thick spikes.
Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE