MORE
Hot Deals & Discounts

Fillet Knife Deal!

5/21/18 @ 4:57 PM
INITIAL POST
Darin - Lake-Link
Darin - Lake-Link
PRO MEMBER User since 5/17/01

We worked with Bubba Blade to get you the best price on the web for their fillet knives. They are now offering Free Shipping on all orders with no minimum! PLUS you get 20% off of the price with promo code Lake-Link.

If you were on the fence to get one of these knives now is the time to get one. These are great knives and they just launched the new Wiffie Super Flex Knife which should be great for panfish and more delicate fillet jobs.

https://www.bubbablade.com

Displaying 1 to 15 of 26 posts
2/14/19 @ 9:39 AM
wini
User since 3/27/06

I have decided to sell the two Wiffies I purchased last summer. They are not bad knives but the handles  are just too big for my hands and the way i clean fish. I have tried using them several times and I find myself always going back to one of my other fillet knives. To each his own.

2/13/19 @ 1:46 AM
milosuitable
User since 1/25/19

Damn, the knife looks amazing. Wish I found this thread earlier, just bought a Victorinox 6 Inch Curved Fibrox Pro Knife after reading this guide last month, it didn't come sharp enough and after uses, it doesn't hold its edge all that great.

9/3/18 @ 3:55 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

Between Canada, Delevan, Fox River, and Tichigan I’ve cleaned around 100 fish this summer.  

Still have not had to sharpen my Bubba Blade. Zipped through 25 pannies Saturday morning - just a great knife - very happy with it.  

9/2/18 @ 12:33 PM
jeff68
User since 3/15/11

1095 steel, skip SS. It's not rocket science.

7/23/18 @ 11:15 AM
wini
User since 3/27/06

My review  of the of the Bubba knives.  I purchased two: the large and small thin ones. They did not come sharp. I did finally get an edge after a lot of sharpening. Also,  the handle is too thick. I can not lay the knife flat enough on a table to make a thin slice.

7/12/18 @ 7:38 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

Zipping through the ribs with an electric knife is easy living if compared to regular knife.  

That likely explains the difference... 

7/12/18 @ 1:00 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

I get that going through ribs will dull the blade faster, but I still can't get over how poorly it performed for being brand spanking new. Is it possible I got one with a defective blade? I can't imagine that's the case since it seems to shave my fingernail pretty well (my method of testing sharpness...super accurate lol) . I will say the tip seems a bit sharper than the rest, though not sure if that's by design. 

To be honest, I've been using an electric fillet knife for a while, so maybe I'm just spoiled. Or maybe I need to relearn how to properly angle it to get through the ribs. Or just maybe I learn to do it differently and avoid the ribs.

Darn it, now I've gotta go get some more fish to practice on! 

7/12/18 @ 11:45 AM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

I have the 9" stiffie (see what I did there??) and use it for salmon. I can fillet a king in about a minute. Flies right through the ribs. I "hone" it with a 50+ year old German honing tool with a handle made from a Red Stag antler. I wouldn't trade these 2 for anything. Well, maybe the Japanese carbon steel knife my brother has. Those are $300+ though.

7/10/18 @ 8:04 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

I have the 7” inch and really like it. Easily the best knife I’ve owned.  

That said, I go around the ribs, not through the ribs. Going through the ribs will dull a knife much quicker than going around them.  

7/9/18 @ 11:13 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

So, had an opportunity to use my new knife on a couple 19" walleyes. Honest opinion? I was not impressed. It separated the meat from skin really well, but getting through the ribs was a serious chore. I was really expecting to kind of fly through the ribs, so this was a big surprise. It felt like cutting through white bass with a dull blade. I've been filleting fish for over 30 years,  so I'd like to think I know what I'm doing.

Anybody else have a similar issue?

6/26/18 @ 5:41 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

Agree with Darin.  The 7" is a good all-around knife, and it works awesome for eyes, and does a decent job with Gills too. 

As mentioned, it isn't quite as flexible, but I angle the knife at a 45 with the Gills, and separate the meat from the skin without any trouble.  

6/26/18 @ 5:39 PM
Darin - Lake-Link
Darin - Lake-Link

The 7" will be a great all around knife for most game fish. I personally still like a smaller blade with more flex like the 6" Wiffie for panfish, which I see is sold out for now. Not saying you can't do some quick work on panfish with the 7" but again I think it comes down to personal preference.

Only way to find out is try!

6/26/18 @ 2:42 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Just got a 7" for my birthday! Pretty excited to use it. Question though...I'm mainly walleye and panfish, with the occasional cat or northern, and hopefully some salmon in the not too distant future. Is this a decent all around blade length? Or am I going to be wishing for a different or multiple lengths?

6/25/18 @ 8:34 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

Just got back from a Canadian fishing trip, and we cleaned lots of fish.

The knives are still as sharp as when I first got them.  

Best fillet knives I’ve owned to date.  Really a good buy!  

6/20/18 @ 9:54 AM
Darin - Lake-Link
Darin - Lake-Link

Big jig,

I think you made the right decision! With those two knives I think you can tackle anything you will catch in the Midwest.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 26 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE