SEARCH
MORE
Guns & Shooting

what gun to take

7/16/18 @ 9:33 AM
INITIAL POST
Big Kahuna
User since 8/11/02

Going on a Wyoming pronghorn  hunt this fall wondering what gun to take 30-06, 270, 243 or AR 10 first time going any advise would be appreciated

Thanks  

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
1/30/19 @ 4:20 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

I also used a .308 for mine . My meat was not too good though . Suprisinly since it was at the butcher an hour it was shot . And it was cool Temps  .

1/30/19 @ 3:04 PM
Bowhunting Guy
User since 5/22/18

I killed my antelope with a .308, mostly because I was the most comfortable with that particular rifle at long ranges. My advice is to use whatever you’re most comfortable with as those are all adequate calibers.

You’ll have fun. Truly a unique animal and absolutely delicious as long as you care for it properly. 

1/20/19 @ 11:07 PM
Clearwater Alask Outfitters
Clearwater Alask Outfitters
User since 10/18/18
According to me, 270 is a better option.
7/24/18 @ 6:11 PM
fetch-um-up
PRO MEMBER User since 2/19/06

They will all work.  Congrats on first pronghorn hunt?  Unique animal and very good on the table.  If you want to enjoy it,  get it field dressed and skinned on the spot and on ice ASAP and you'll have great eating....

7/22/18 @ 8:08 PM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01

Goats kill easy, it does not take much as long as you get it in the boiler room, a bad shot and it really does not matter what it was.  Shot plenty with .257rbts and 100gr bullet. but mostly prefer .280 with 140gr ballistic tips.

Consider its more important to be able to cleanly hit your target out to 300 yards and perhaps beyond and let that be the determining factor.  Mostly why I mainly use the .280 with a bipod I am able to stretch my effective range out to 350 + with a laser range finder, and stationary target.  You certainly can get closer shots but not always.

No matter what you decide I suggest you practice at 250 and beyond before taking those shots you may be surprised what your rifle and yourself can or can't do.

good luck

7/17/18 @ 9:18 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

I would take the one that groups the best.

7/16/18 @ 6:33 PM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

The 243 is the quintessential antelope caliber. 

7/16/18 @ 3:53 PM
Paddle Power
Paddle Power
User since 1/6/17
Between your 30-06 and .270, which rifle weighs less? Pronghorn are elusive and may require some serious foot travel to get to and pack out should your hunt be successful. The only way I'd take an AR-10 is if it were the only rifle I owned, they usually aren't light weight rifles. 243 will work but the '06 and 270 are both better options imo.
7/16/18 @ 3:38 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

Any of those would work for a Pronghorn, but the .270 would have the best combo of knockdown and range.

7/16/18 @ 11:08 AM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

Not a big animal , but their lung size is incredible for size . Must be all that running  . A heart , lung shot will still work . But will go a bit further than a similar white tail .

Any of the rifles mentioned would work , AR-10  ? Depends on its accuracy  .

7/16/18 @ 10:00 AM
RandyPrice
RandyPrice
User since 9/25/17

I would take the .30-06 or the .270.  Both are good pronghorn guns.  Of the two I'm more of an '06 fan.

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE