MORE
Guns & Shooting

Vortex scopes

12/19/18 @ 9:39 AM
INITIAL POST
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

In the market for a new scope and my research keeps bringing up Vortex scopes. I've always been a Nikon or Leupold guy, but from what I've read, Vortex ranks up there with the best for quality and warranty. I have a vortex scope on my AR-15 but just an entry level with 3x zoom so any scope will do the job. I need something with 4-12x zoom and high quality lens as I stare right into the sun in the morning and the crappy scopes don't have enough light cancellation to focus in.

Can anyone attest to the quality of Vortex??

Displaying 1 to 15 of 17 posts
1/5/19 @ 11:17 AM
Paddle Power
Paddle Power
User since 1/6/17

Kvan- I wanted to add some things without editing my previous post.. again. 

Just from my experiences using a cds equipped Leupold scope for the last two gun deer seasons and a few outings chasing yotes as well as sending well over 1k rounds at steel at unknown distances. 

Leupold's cds system - overall pretty happy. NOT, I can't emphasize this enough, NOT geard towards the WI woods. Western plains hunting (think range finders) or kd range use is what cds was designed for, known distance engagements.

If you're a stand hunter or sit in a blind over fields with long shots it might be ok. If you like to stalk/still hunt just stay away, unless you're willing to drop the coin on higher end glass i.e. VX5 or better as they have locking cds turrets. Otherwise you're going to constantly be checking your elevation turret. I'm not saying they move too easily but if you're busting thru the thick stuff it will move.. ask me how I know. 

Now back on topic. Vortex, if I were looking to add one to a hunting rifle it'd be either the Viper HS or Razor HD LH. SWFA has been selling the Razor LH for $499 on and off over the last few months. However, I think the magnification on the Razor LH tops out at 10x. Imo when it comes to glass on rifles, clarity and quality always trumps magnification. Like someone mentioned before Swaro, S&B, Kahles, Steiner and the like but those are waaay above your price point. I don't think you can go wrong with Vortex as long as you stick to Viper or better glass. 

May I  suggest one more piece of glass to look at, and imo the best bang for the buck in hunting scopes. Leupold's VX-R, NOT the patrol models. That little firedot is insanely bright, like almost literally stare into the sun bright and it has an auto off/on system so it won't kill the battery. My cousin has been using a 3-9 firedot duplex for the last 3 years and is still on the original battery. I will be replacing my VX-2 2-7 cds with a 2-7 VX-R this year. I personally think you have to at least double the money to get a "better" hunting scope than the VX-R. 

Edit: I see the Razor LH comes in a 3-15x model, keep an eye out on swfa. They currently have the 1.5-8 model for $499 and I know the 2-10 model had been on sale for that price too. Also I think Midway has had similar sales. SHOT show is right around the corner and manufactures are going to be moving old inventory soon. 

1/4/19 @ 9:37 PM
Paddle Power
Paddle Power
User since 1/6/17

I have put a couple hundred rounds down range with a first gen PST 1-4 that sits atop a buddies AR, everything from 7-50 yds while shooting low light with weapon lights and day time on steel out to 400. He also has a 30-06 bolt with a Viper HS 2.5-10 that I've shot out to 300 during day light hours. 

I own a VX-2 2-7x33 cds and have shot many many 308 rounds thru a VX3i LRP 4.5-14 TMOA reticle. My wife's .243 has VX-3 2.5-8x36 duplex reticle. 

I like Vortex glass, I know their warranty is outstanding and I would own anything in their Viper lineup without hesitation. All I've ever owned was Leupold, Weaver, Aimpoint, and Trijicon.

With all that said what is your main objective? I'll assume hunting.

You can get a VX3i 4-12 duplex for $550, the Viper line is nice too. I personally like the VX3i lineup mostly due to weight. 

Lmk if there's anything I can answer. 

Edit: the vx2 cds lives on an ar in 6.8 spc, rifle in first pic laying down and the one I'm shooting while sitting in 3rd pic. Bolt gun is the LRP.

1/4/19 @ 4:16 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Thanks for the feedback Bass, sounds like I gotta start searching for some deals. Haven't really heard any negatives about Vortex on here or from anyone yet.

Madforlabs - all the Leupold VX-6 with CDS that I'm seeing are priced around $1600 and up which is more in the price range of the Swarovskis. The Vx-3i is more in that $800 range though. Might check that out when I get to Scheels or Cabelas next.

1/4/19 @ 10:49 AM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

I have a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44.  It's msrp is $500 or so, but I think I paid $300 or $350.  I see them on sale all the time for $350-$400.  

Compared to Nikon or Leupolds at the same price point I'd say the are all pretty nice and comparable, but the Vortex warranty is what separates them imo.  I have a gun with Leupold VX-3 and a Nikon Prostaff so I have firsthand experience with all three brands.  I've never tried their high end models, but have a friend with a Diamondback low/mid end Vortex and it's pretty nice for the price.

I have it mounted on my Browning X-Bolt .300 win mag and it fits the gun nicely.

1/1/19 @ 12:22 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

With that price point you could squeeze into a Leupold VX-6 with the Custom Dial System (CDS) which allows you to dial in your known yardage for a specific cartridge. Great product I highly recommend, particularly if you consider longer yardages encountered out West.

Leupold warranty and service on par with Vortex.

1/1/19 @ 10:47 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Glad to get some feedback on the topic!

Price point would ideally be around $500, up to maybe $800ish but I can't justify $1000+ when I really only use the gun several times a year. I do plan on using it out west, so maybe I should start working on the wife and go for a Swarovski and call it a day.

My concern is what Big Mac mentioned. I'll be the first to admit that customer service is a big driving factor in choosing one brand over another for me, but I haven't broken a scope in my 20ish years of rifle hunting so I don't know that I want to base my decision on a good warranty. Probably just jinxed myself there.

12/30/18 @ 7:52 PM
shadling1
User since 1/17/12
Price point for the original poster is probably something we need to know. There are alot of great scopes out there. Swarovski, Schmidt & Bender, Nightforce, Leopold, etc. But what are you willing to spend on a scope? That # will either eliminate alot of stuff  if its its low or give you ALOT of really great options if you are willing to spend some serious cash. 
12/30/18 @ 10:47 AM
big mac
User since 2/19/02

If Swarovski & Leupold had better price points,  I would be a happy user!

But being an "average Joe", spending over $1000.00, on a scope is a tough pill to swallow.

And I know the old adage about scopes & purchases. 

Big Mac 

12/30/18 @ 5:33 AM
blackbrd
User since 1/9/07

Pike River is spot on. Apples to apples if you're comparing to nikon, bushnell, but once you own a swarovski, probably won't have an interest in any other optics.

12/28/18 @ 10:07 AM
big mac
User since 2/19/02

The general consensus is that  Vortex makes a good scope, with great customer service & great warranty. 

With that being said, the other thing I hear & sense,  is that the scope is made cheaply in a foreign country. With the low cost of manufacturing the optics,  they can sell at a low/production cost. 

And still make a good profit.

Now, does that reflect a good product? That is where  customers must decide if the cost, lower quality of product,  good warranty,  fit their needs. 

Weigh your options.

Big Mac 

12/28/18 @ 9:00 AM
icefitchin
icefitchin
User since 12/13/03

Dodger is correct.

No proof of purchase... original packaging.. or anything else needed to claim a warranty with Vortex products.They're products are warranted for life. I stopped at their HQ with an issue i was having with my DiamondBack binoculars back in October. Super nice people greeted me at the door, and showed me around their showroom. They had them fixed and shipped back to me within a week. Along with some window decals and a nice hat.

I own a pair of binoculars, and 2 DiamondBack HP rifle scopes. Theyve got my business for life.

12/28/18 @ 8:09 AM
dodger
dodger
User since 9/3/01

I have two Vipers.  I also own other scopes for rifles and pistols. You can't go wrong with Leupold but for my money and situations I will buy Vortex from now on. 

I was told that the warranty is transferable. If I sell a scope, the lifetime warranty goes with the scope.

I hope my comment helps,

Dodger

12/26/18 @ 1:39 PM
Bowhunting Guy
User since 5/22/18

I can vouch firsthand for Vortex’s service. Last year I had a bit of an accident duck hunting and went for a swim with my binoculars. After being in the water for almost 30 minutes, my binocs had some water damage. 

Not really knowing what to expect considering most “warranties” are a joke, I couldn’t believe it when I called the company and a capable person answered the phone immediately. I told him my story, and he told me it was “no problem” and to send them back. I had a new pair of binoculars shipped to me in a couple weeks.

I’ve since bought a Vortex rangefinder and will be moving my rifle scopes over to Vortex as well. 

12/19/18 @ 10:27 AM
ere
User since 2/22/07

You cant go wrong with them, I've been to the plant in Barneveld and there company philosophy about treating the customer like a 'king' there words, are spot on. Yes, the other 2 companies mentioned are fantastic products, but from a quality standpoint, price, and arguably the best warranty in the industry a person will be very pleased. 

12/19/18 @ 10:14 AM
fishfillet
User since 1/8/13

I have a Vortex  Diamondback.  For the money it's pretty nice.  No complaints so far.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 17 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE