Should I shoot this muzzle loader?

12/8/14 @ 8:08 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Lund forever
Lund forever
USER since 1/21/08
When I loaded my muzzle loader a few days ago with a sabot, I was very hard to push in the sabot but I think I have it all the way down. Once you start, you can't stop and redo it as my Thompson center New Englander does not have a removable breach plug. What would you do? Don't need it blowing up in my face. Lund
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 Posts
12/15/14 @ 11:57 AM
Lund forever
Lund forever
USER since 1/21/08
Yes it was a clean gun. I swabbed it with bore butter before putting it away last year. Think I'm going to try the Powerbelt bullets as I don't want to deal with lubing the bullets each time. Thanks for the info. Lund

Post Your Comment
12/14/14 @ 7:44 PM
SB Dad
SB Dad
USER since 8/16/09
Lund,I've been shooting 385 gr Great Plains Bullets out of a quick twist side lock rifle.They load easy and shoot nice groups.I think they would be bad medicine on a deer!They are full bore,so legal in CO.Track of the wolf has them for about 10 bucks per 20.

Edited on 12/14/14 7:47 PM
Post Your Comment
12/14/14 @ 11:23 AM
percheye1
percheye1
USER since 6/24/01
You didn't mention and I didn't ask was this a clean gun or had you been shooting? As it gets harder to load in general I run a patch down it. Powerbelts do load easier than most sabots I have shot I shoot them and have harvested Mulies and Whitetails with them but have not been crazy about the retention they seem to come apart too much for me so Im back to sabot until I hunt Colorado where I cant shoot a sabot.

Post Your Comment
12/13/14 @ 9:05 PM
gotacarp
gotacarp
USER since 2/2/10
Use some bore butter when you clean your gun makes pushing the bullets down a lot easer.I shoot the 300grain shock waves.

Post Your Comment
12/10/14 @ 2:27 PM
Lund forever
Lund forever
USER since 1/21/08
Ok, I rigged up a safe way to shoot with me in safe place and the thing shot without an issue. Just did not feel comfortable with a gun that took that much effort to load. For what it's worth I did a search and saw some comments from guy's who claim the plastic sleeve sabot I loaded are very tough to load and go on to recommend Powerbelt bullet or Thompson Center bullets that suppose to load easier. Any comments on bullets to use? Lund

Post Your Comment
12/9/14 @ 2:37 PM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
If I was going to shoot it, my equipment would include a vise and 20 yards of cord. I found out the hard way that you can't be TOO far from potential danger. Mrt

Edited on 12/9/14 2:38 PM
Post Your Comment
12/8/14 @ 1:21 PM
percheye1
percheye1
USER since 6/24/01
If you have the mark from the round ball the sabot is probably twice the length of the round ball if that makes sense on your ram rod and you and then you feel confident it is seated on the charge then you should be good to go. In other words I would expect the mark on the ram rod to be a off the end of the barrel by the difference of the length of your sabot vs the round ball.

Post Your Comment
12/8/14 @ 1:06 PM
Lund forever
Lund forever
USER since 1/21/08
I had a mark on my rod when I used round balls and judging from that, allowing for the extra bullet length, I should be close. Are either of you saying I should not shoot it as? Lund

Post Your Comment
12/8/14 @ 8:28 AM
percheye1
percheye1
USER since 6/24/01
Do you have a mark on the ram rod from a loaded and unloaded standpoint? If your not sure of it being seated get a puller that you can screw on your ram rod screw into the bullet and pull it out. Then next time you establish your load scribe the ram rod empty and loaded so you will know at a glance when you put the rod in the barrel.

Post Your Comment