SEARCH
MORE
Guns & Shooting

scope test for brightness...

8/28/16 @ 8:08 PM
INITIAL POST
ardeekaye
User since 12/31/09

I just got done testing 10 riflescope for brightness... I set them all at 4x unless noted.... starting looking at a big pine tree a ways ( 90 yds) and as they were not able to make a decent shot... they got a number... 10 was the lowest grade... etc...

# 10.... McStar  ( straight 6x 42) first to go.....

#9......Nikon Primos (monarch) set at 4x.... a surprise...

#8...Weaver 3x10x38 classic V....

#7.... nikon prostaff 3x9sx40

#6.... Redfield Renegade (USA) 3x9x32 (sorta expected..)

#5... Meopro 3x9x42..( with top-grade Leup. price wise..)

#4...Leupold straight 6x... an older gloss scope..

#3.... Leupold vari x III older, 3x9x40 gloss....

#2.....Leupold vx II newer scope, 3x9x40

#1... best for me... Vortex Di. Back 3x9x50... the brightest..

I hope not to step on toes... these are the best for these old (70) eyes.. hope this helps some one in their search for a scope... ardeekay

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
12/11/17 @ 4:12 PM
Wieland Outdoors
Wieland Outdoors
User since 3/27/10

Appreciate the effort to compare glass.

If anyone is wanting to see the true difference in glass quality and parallax error, best to pick up a good optical chart that can clearly define resolution. Amazing what it reveals when used properly

9/18/16 @ 1:56 PM
Tim_T
User since 6/17/11

Everyone's eyes are different.  Personally, I have never looked through a comparable Leupold that is better than Nikon. Don't have much exposure to Vortex but have looked thru a pair of binoculars that were really nice. All my optics are Nixon.

Tim

9/16/16 @ 4:32 PM
WalleyeLouie
WalleyeLouie
User since 9/11/16

I have a Swarovski X5 3x9x50 and it is great in low light condtions.I may be the best on the market.

9/14/16 @ 3:48 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

Not surprising for me.  Leupold are always near the top for quality.  I prefer my Vortex Viper to any other scope I've used including Leupolds, Nikon, Burris, and Bushnell.  My Vortex is a $500 scope so I suppose it should perform well against these.  I am surprised that the Nikons didn't perform well.  I've liked every Nikon I've tried in the $150-$300 range.

9/12/16 @ 11:40 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10

Glass quality is WAY more important than glass size.  I'll take a quality scope with a 30mm objective than a cheaper one with a 50mm objective.  In fact I see no reason to ever need a scope with a 50mm objective unless you're trying to shoot in low light with high (over 14) magnification.  

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE