SEARCH
MORE
Guns & Shooting

Scope options for a 45-70 lever action.

12/2/16 @ 10:34 AM
INITIAL POST
big mac
User since 2/19/02

I have a Marlin Guide Series Stainless steel lever action. It has a very restrictive open (shroud barrel pin/sight) & I need to get a solid quality scope. I don't plan on shooting at critters more than 100 yards out.

Thanks,

Big Mac 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 26 posts
7/25/18 @ 11:29 AM
OO Buckshot
User since 10/4/05

I just put a leupold 2-7 x 33 on my marlin 35 rem.  I went with an AR style rail mount which I like since you are able to adjust the scope forward and backwards to get the perfect distance from your eye when shouldering the rifle there is also alot of options to choose from.  a 2-7 is perfect for most hunting situations in wisconsin for a brush gun.  The year I shot a buck at 15 yards had no problem getting it in the scope.  I wish there was more options in a 2-7-40mm for more field of view but after getting my 35 back off the shelf and put a new scope on last yest it will now be my designated woods gun again, my 7mm will only come out for open area hunting.

7/16/18 @ 10:37 AM
Henome
Henome
User since 10/26/17

And how about smart HD optics? Did someone of you use this? I'm found interesting variants here, and I want to try some from X-sight series. Such scope has smart rangefinder and smart shooting solution to make the the easiest to aim and shoot scope. I think it is amazing)

6/29/18 @ 4:23 PM
big mac
User since 2/19/02

Jim, thanks.  But I believe "you get what you pay for", saying. 

Barska, I believe is a very low end manufacturer of scopes.  And it would not hold up well, to the large pounding the 45-70 would put out.

Thanks, 

Big Mac 

6/29/18 @ 4:55 AM
JimLi
PRO MEMBER User since 12/20/11

Update, I don't have it listed on lake-link. It's listed on Armslist.com.

Jim

6/29/18 @ 4:43 AM
JimLi
PRO MEMBER User since 12/20/11

BigMac, I have an unused Barska 3-9X40, silver colored scope  that would work good for you (I think). It is listed on lake-link for $30. I am a little East of Madison if you're interested.

Jim

6/24/18 @ 2:12 AM
big mac
User since 2/19/02

Thanks for the input Large Bore hunters! 

I'm leaning towards a low power scope. Such as suggested  (1.5--4 power). 

Leopold is a bit pricey. But, I got a good deal on the gun. Plus, I don't want any issues! 

Big Mac 

5/20/17 @ 3:00 PM
big mac
User since 2/19/02

I'm leaning towards a shotgun style scope. No need for anything more than a 4 power.

Big Mac 

5/12/17 @ 6:29 AM
Old Salt
Old Salt
User since 8/14/02

The front sight did come with a shroud installed but I took it off. As I recall it simply slides right out of the grooves in the front sight.

5/11/17 @ 5:51 AM
big mac
User since 2/19/02

Again,  thanks for all the input!  Please keep it coming 

Adam, did your front sight have the shroudover the sight? 

Big Mac 

5/10/17 @ 5:53 PM
adam k
User since 12/15/10

I added a Nikon Prostaff 2x7 on my 45-70.  Great scope and have it dialed in perfectly.  Make sure to buy quality mounts.  I had to return my first set and upgraded to tactical mounts.  Love the gun and its a definite head turner at the range.  I have the Stainless and dark walnut model.

5/8/17 @ 6:56 AM
Old Salt
Old Salt
User since 8/14/02

I tried a Bushnell Holosight on my Marlin 45-70 but ended up swapping it out for a Nikon Pro Staff 1-6X shotgun scope for when I want to reach out there a bit further. It works well and was had for around $200 iirc.

5/7/17 @ 8:18 PM
fetch-um-up
PRO MEMBER User since 2/19/06

I'm a big fan of Vortex.  Own 3 binoculars and 2 Scopes..... Price and quality beat many other bigger names, and your are right on with customer service and warranty.....

5/3/17 @ 10:27 AM
Paddle Power
Paddle Power
User since 1/6/17

That's a beautiful picture you have there fetch-um!

I don't think you go wrong with Vortex Optics. WI based company with outstanding customer service and a warranty that seems to be second to none.

5/3/17 @ 8:31 AM
fetch-um-up
PRO MEMBER User since 2/19/06

Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24 with lighted reticle works for me on my new Henry 45-70............

5/2/17 @ 9:46 AM
Paddle Power
Paddle Power
User since 1/6/17

I wasn't sure what your budget was so I offered what I've had experience with. I think the VX-R is near the ideal hunting scope for most situations, power of magnification may vary of course.

If you want a budget optic that is light weight and good for 100 yards I'd strongly suggest you look at the Weaver V3 1-3x20, I have one that sits atop an AR that has seen a few thousand rounds and bagged me a few yotes. I have often thought about buying a second, it has always held its zero and never fogged up on me. They can also be had for less than $200. They are made in Japan, weigh in at 8.5 oz and have glass that rivels some Leupold, Vortex, and Nikon glass that I've used in the $300+ range.

As far as red dots go. If you want rugged and/or reliability the answer is Aimpoint. Yes they are expensive but they are the ONLY standard when it comes to red dot style optics. As far as durability, I beg to differ. I've seen thousands upon thousands upon thousands of rounds get sent down range with Aimpoints and EOTechs sitting atop USMC rifles and machine guns, your 45/70 can't dish out vibrations like that. Aimpoints are built to military standards.

If you want to look at budget dots I would suggest an offering from Vortex optics, all their products carry an unconditional lifetime warranty.

EDIT: I attached a photo of my general purpose carbine. The scope is the Weaver V3 1-3x20. It's a very capable and handy little rifle and the glass is very well fit to a stomping around rifle. On 1x it's VERY close to a true 1 power, I can easily do room clearing drills. I recognize that a 5.56 gas gun doesn't have anywhere near the recoil of 45-70 but I've beat the snot out of this rifle for several years now and the glass has never let me down.

Check it out on Midway USA, they have a ton of positive reviews in favor of this little guy and I even think there's one or two that make mention of people putting them on 45-70s. Good luck with your search!

Displaying 1 to 15 of 26 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE