Rossi 243 help

11/1/15 @ 9:36 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Lundguy2
Lundguy2
USER since 4/22/15
I bought a new Rossi single shot in 243 with a 3-9/40 scope. I bought it for my boys when they start hunting but am having trouble sighting it in properly. I have put 4 or 5 boxes through it am seems like every time I shoot it is off and needs to be adjusted again. I've never had this problem before, is it I need to shoot it more to break in the barrel, something else I am missing or just the gun itself? Right now have a hard time hitting a paper plate at 50 yards.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 12 Posts
11/26/15 @ 8:21 PM
ditto
ditto
USER since 12/6/10
It's a Tasco, throw it away and you'll be better off.

Post Your Comment
11/26/15 @ 4:27 PM
catchnfillet
catchnfillet
USER since 9/24/15
Tasco could have a loose reticle or ??? let someone use it as a drum stick and just replace it.....

Post Your Comment
11/23/15 @ 3:18 PM
Lundguy2
Lundguy2
USER since 4/22/15
I finally got the chance to shoot the gun with a different scope on it...what a difference. I put the Simmons scope from my 17 hmr on it, I didn't have it bore sighted or anything, took 2 shots and was high and left but both were within a 1/4 inch of each other. Within 10 shots I put 2 in the red. Every time I took 2 shots and adjusted and both holes were less than a quarter away. Now my question is...the Tasco scope that was on the gun that was all over the board...was it because of the recoil of the gun the it would get off? If I put it on the 17 that has very little recoil will it be fine or do I just buy a different one?

Post Your Comment
11/4/15 @ 5:55 PM
Lundguy2
Lundguy2
USER since 4/22/15
Thinking I'll try the scope off of my 17 hmr, if that works it will give me a reason to get a better one for that rifle, I love that little 17 for popping squirrels.

Post Your Comment
11/4/15 @ 1:45 PM
catchnfillet
catchnfillet
USER since 9/24/15
My son has the same gun with a Pro 50 Simmons on it and its a tack driver ........ its gotta be the scope and or mounts.

Post Your Comment
11/1/15 @ 3:39 PM
Lundguy2
Lundguy2
USER since 4/22/15
When I lock the action there doesn't seem to be any play in it, I'll try different scopes, when I bought it, I'll admit I didn't break the bank knowing it's for my boys first deer rifle, he will be read in 2 yrs or so. I have a Simmons scope on my 17 and a Bushnell on my 30-06 all 3 the same size, I'll have to try one of those.

Post Your Comment
11/1/15 @ 2:54 PM
ditto
ditto
USER since 12/6/10
First barrel break in is a myth started by barrel makers to get you to shoot more shots and wear out your barrel sooner. It may help, and I even doubt that, but if it does it will only help a premium barrel and not the barrel on a Rossi. It's a break action so make sue that the action locks up real tight, if there's play when it's locked up then there's not really anything you can do about the accuracy except send it to Rossi and hope they can tighten it up.

My bet is the scope is the problem. Tascos are not known for quality having one go bad is pretty common. My first thing to do would try another scope on it. Either one of better quality or that you've used before and know is reliable.

Post Your Comment
11/1/15 @ 1:55 PM
BeerTownFyreman
BeerTownFyreman
USER since 6/15/01
I'd look at the scope setup too. I have the same gun, and have shot it for 4 years. My daughter uses the iron sights and it's pretty accurate out to about 75 yards with the irons.

Post Your Comment
11/1/15 @ 10:33 AM
fallflights3
fallflights3
USER since 12/30/04
If you are inconsistent at 50 yds, 99% of time its you/scope/mount...if you have another scope set up, try that first

Post Your Comment
11/1/15 @ 10:02 AM
Lundguy2
Lundguy2
USER since 4/22/15
Scope is Tasco and seems to be tight and doesn't appear that it is sliding around but it seems every time I go to shoot it, it is either high or low.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 12 Posts