Repairing dinged wood stock?

12/11/14 @ 1:12 PM
ORIGINAL POST
jch84
jch84
USER since 8/4/08
So, I let a good friend of mine borrow a rifle. Long story short, he put a series of dings/dents, I guess you could call them, in the stock where it was apparently rubbing on his treestand when he was walking. It's hard to get upset about because I could see how bad he felt about it. Lesson learned for me I suppose. It's a newer rifle; would anyone attempt to fix these imperfections or would it be more trouble than it's worth? It's not scratched, and I don't see it causing any other issues aside from reminding me not to lend expensive items in the future.
Edited on 12/11/14 1:12 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 Posts
12/20/14 @ 10:53 AM
JimLi
JimLi
USER since 12/20/11
If the scratches aren't too deep, use a rag and steam iron. Sometimes the steam will draw out the dent/scratch.

Post Your Comment
12/16/14 @ 7:34 PM
ShootCatchEat
ShootCatchEat
USER since 11/4/11
Im a professional wood restorer and if steaming doesnt get them out it needs to be Burned in/ filled and possibly top coated. If you really want it fixed shoot me an email.

Post Your Comment
12/14/14 @ 10:01 PM
ditto
ditto
USER since 12/6/10
Only until the towel is dry. The times I've done this it was a slow process, don't expect it all to come out in one or two tries. If you're seeing some improvement then I would just keep doing it.

Post Your Comment
12/14/14 @ 8:33 PM
jch84
jch84
USER since 8/4/08
How long would you guys recommend leaving the iron on there? I let it steam about 30 seconds at a time for about 6-7 times and I'm definitely noticing some difference! Wanted to let it sit awhile and try again.

Post Your Comment
12/12/14 @ 6:10 PM
BeerTownFyreman
BeerTownFyreman
USER since 6/15/01
That's what was done on mine with great results

Post Your Comment
12/12/14 @ 2:06 PM
marinerman
marinerman
USER since 6/27/01
I'll second Ditto's steaming recommendation. It's a well known proven technique used on old military stocks.

Post Your Comment
12/11/14 @ 9:45 PM
jch84
jch84
USER since 8/4/08
Awesome, I'll try it this weekend. Thanks for the idea.

Post Your Comment
12/11/14 @ 2:46 PM
ditto
ditto
USER since 12/6/10
If the wood is dented and the grain isn't "cut" and it doesn't have a glossy plastic coating like some Remingtons you might be able to steam them out. Get a rag soaking wet and put it over the dent and let it sit for a while with the water soaking into the wood. Then put a hot iron on the rag in the spot where the dent is. Keep repeating this process several times. Sometimes this method works great and other times it doesn't do anything, it depends on the wood and the dents. Either way it does not do any more damage to the stock.

Post Your Comment