Remington Scopes

3/16/16 @ 5:04 PM
ORIGINAL POST
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
I stumbled upon a great deal on a NIB Remington 700 ADL Scope and Rifle Combo. I'm also selling a rifle with a Redfield Revolution 3x9 scope that I really like. Does anyone know who makes the scopes that go on Remington combos and if they are of the same relative quality as the Redfield Revolutions? I don't know a ton about scopes but am assuming someone other than Remington is making the scopes that Remington is putting their name on.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 Posts
2/15/17 @ 8:01 AM
Paddle Power
Paddle Power
USER since 1/6/17

BT I would stick with your Revolution. Redfield is owned by Leupold and also warranted as such.

I have to be that guy now, Jimmy I'm not arguing that your experience with the Browning has been great but the Marine Corps and U.S. Army may argue that Bennelli has perfected the autoloader in it's M4 design. I know every day that I passed thru the Camp Lejune gate the only scatterguns around were Mossberg 500s and Bennelli M1014. Sorry BT couldn't let that slide.

EDIT: I also agree with madforlabs. Spend the money on good glass. Good optics can make a cheap gun shoot better but cheap glass won't make an expensive gun shoot well. Nikon's Monarch line is good. I'm personally a Leupold or Vortex fan if your talking budget/mid range glass, I personally don't go below Leupold VX2 or Vortex Viper glass. Please consider this is just my opinion.

Edited on 2/15/17 8:48 AM
Post Your Comment
2/15/17 @ 5:05 AM
jimmymuller
jimmymuller
USER since 6/20/16
I have bought the Browning last year. It is a most reliable shotgun in the world. It is a semi auto modern designed shotgun loaded with many features. It is available in different models with different configurations such as 28, 30 or 32 inches barrel and 12 inch length of pull.

Post Your Comment
3/17/16 @ 5:31 PM
BOATSUSN
BOATSUSN
USER since 12/7/05
Unless their quality has gone down in the last 5 years or so. As a good compromise, check out the Nikon Pro Staff series. They can be had for under $200 and haven't failed me yet.

Post Your Comment
3/17/16 @ 5:37 AM
madforlabs
madforlabs
USER since 12/20/12
Bugle; You have no idea what you're missing. The Redfield is a pretty low end product. Not bottom of the barrel but close. One of the key measures of good optics is clarity and crispness of vision in low light conditions. This is where a quality product can really make a difference. Even a good mid level scope like the Leupold Vari-X II would be a huge upgrade. When buying on a budget, spend more on the scope and less on the gun.

Post Your Comment
3/16/16 @ 7:40 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
Thanks, totally agree that Revolutions aren't top of the line. But for the average hunter in WI that's shooting no more than 100-150 yards, they're a pretty good value IMO. I'll probably swap the cheap Chinese scope out for my Revolution and end up with a great new hunting rifle to succeed my grandpa's Winny Model 88 that I should have retired to the vintage collection years ago. Ironically that pre-64 88 has a Redfield on it as well.

Post Your Comment
3/16/16 @ 6:50 PM
ditto
ditto
USER since 12/6/10
I guarantee you that Remington isn't making their scopes considering most lower end scope companies don't actually make their own scopes. I'm sure they're sourcing them from somewhere in China. I would say to compare them to other scopes consider them to be the absolute bottom tier scope, maybe a $50-$60 scope, nowhere near the quality of a Readfield Revolution which is not all that great of scope to begin with.

Post Your Comment
3/16/16 @ 5:37 PM
Tim_T
Tim_T
USER since 6/17/11
I prefer Nikon scopes. Vortex are very good also. Can't help you on a Remington scope.

Tim

Post Your Comment