SEARCH
MORE
Guns & Shooting

Problems sighting in air rifle with new scope

1/15/18 @ 7:36 PM
INITIAL POST
Musclehead
User since 7/10/01

I decided to have a scope mounted to my air rifle, because I was having problems shooting without my cheater glasses handy. They bore sighted it, and I thought I could dial it in, shooting in the basement. It was only 20-25 yards but I'm mainly shooting at blackbirds in the bird feeders. The vertical was fine, but it was shooting R, about 2 inches. I did the 8 clicks, even though it was 1/4 inch/100 yards, with no change. I did 30 clicks and very little change. I was going to do 100 clicks and at around 80, it was as far as it could go. I shot and it was maybe an 1/8th inch difference. Am I doing something wrong? Is it the mounting? Does it have anything to do with the short distance and being an air rifle? What should I do now? I don't want to have to aim 2 inches to the L, every time I shoot.

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
1/19/18 @ 10:10 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

I got a Leupold airgun scope for my RX break barrel. The scope on it wasn't working well, which is why it got sold to me used at a reasonable price. Now it's the most accurate air gun I own. I have a cheaper Hatsan that I use only with peep sites because I'm afraid it'll rattle any scope to destruction. "Straight Shooters" in Minnesota has a website with good info on tough, reasonably priced airgun rated scopes. They also sell scope mounts made for adjusting to the peculiarities of airguns. You might try adjustable mounts first. Practice with airguns made me  much better at offhand standing shots with regular firearms.

1/18/18 @ 10:37 AM
ere
User since 2/22/07

That what I was trying to say haha

1/16/18 @ 4:44 PM
ere
User since 2/22/07

I wouldn't advise using a normal scope on an air gun. Reg scopes are not designed for the type of 'recoil' from an air gun. Something about 2 or multiple movements inside the gun to operate, Do a little research on it, it would suck to destroy a decent scope.

1/16/18 @ 3:49 PM
prop-buster
prop-buster
User since 6/14/05

Rifle scopes - Air gun scopes, there is a difference. IHMSA News ...

www.lasc.us/rangingshotrifleairgunscopes.htm

the first thought when I read your post was to snicker at such nonsense then read this...you were mostly right...."nuthins ever easy"

1/16/18 @ 2:50 PM
Paddle Power
Paddle Power
User since 1/6/17

Are you using a scope that is rated and/or intended for air rifles?

I don't know much of anything about air rifles but I do know most rifle scope manufacturers do not warrant or advise that their scopes be used on air guns.

1/16/18 @ 12:30 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

I agree, tap lightly on the scope.  I have sighted in several air rifles in my back yard.  I too am shooting very short distances as well on critters in my yard.

1/15/18 @ 11:44 PM
prop-buster
prop-buster
User since 6/14/05

if the crosshairs on the scope don't seem to move try a tapping it with the heal of your hand a couple times after adjusting it...if they still don't move you may have a faulty scope.

1/15/18 @ 11:36 PM
prop-buster
prop-buster
User since 6/14/05

The Easy Way to Sight-In an Air Rifle Scope - YouTube

Video for can you bore sight a pellet gun? 3:02

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLirsAFpsfE

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE