Mossberg 500 shotgun- upgrade or buy another gun

11/27/15 @ 6:42 PM
ORIGINAL POST
fishingmaster1997
fishingmaster1997
USER since 4/18/12
Hi, I hope everyone had good thanksgiving. I would like some opinions on my current situation. Right now I own one firearm, my Mossberg 500A 12 gauge with a 28 inch barrel. I use it for everything I hunt. Squirrels and rabbit all the way up to coyote and deer. Well lately I was thinking of a purchase different guns that will do a better job. I love my Mossberg and it works great for me, but my only downfall is range. With a full choke I have no problem cleanly killing a squirrel at any reasonable range I'll encounter in the woods. Coyote and deer are a different story however, I had to pass up on a huge buck this past week. It was over 50 yards away which I just don't feel comfortable shooting with a slug out of a smooth bore barrel with a open bead sight. My question is this, should I get a scoped rifle? Or should I purchase a rifled barrel for my Mossberg? I like the idea of owning multiple guns for multiple species but I can't seem to get myself to open up to the idea of actually hunting with a gun that isn't my Mossberg. I mean, every memory of hunting has been with that gun. All my buddies tell me to get .22 for small game, a .223 for coyote, and a 308 for deer. But to me it just isn't the same as my Mossberg. I was looking online and I found a lot of parts for the Mossberg 500. Would it make sense to get various barrel, chokes, and maybe even other parts like an external magazine? Sorry for the rant, I just have a lot to say. To summarize, would it make sense to turn my gun into a customized badass hunting machine? Or should I get a few rifles better suited to do the job. Thanks in advance and have a great weekend.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
11/27/15 @ 10:26 PM
fishingmaster1997
fishingmaster1997
USER since 4/18/12
Interestingly, I've never found my 12 gauge to be overkill for squirrel. I use #6 out of a full choke and it blows the head off with no damage to the meat. Actually once after a long day of unsuccessful goose hunting we shot a few chipmunks with #2 steel. Believe it or not the meat was completely salvageable. We cooked it in our dorm hall kitchen and had plenty of weird looks

Post Your Comment
11/27/15 @ 10:19 PM
fishingmaster1997
fishingmaster1997
USER since 4/18/12
I'll look into .243s. Getting a handgun is high on my list of things to do. I think the order of what I want is as follows Deer gun (243 possibly) .22lr semi auto squirrel/plinking gun .45/.410 revolver

That should be plenty for what I need. I also foresee an AR in my near future, but that depends on if my buddy ends up selling his

Post Your Comment
11/27/15 @ 10:19 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
Years ago, Using a 12 ga. with open bead site I completely missed a deer at 25 yds. That was the end of that. At least get some iron rifle sites or a scope on that 12 ga. Both you and the deer deserve better than open bead sites.

But I know what you mean about a certain gun being your all around gun. The remington 870 was my first gun and Ive got a strong affinity for the 870. But if you can afford it then start diversifying. A shotgun on small game is overkill plus youll be chewing on lead BBs. A shotgun slug on deer bruises and ruins a lot of meat. Like a previus poster said, coyote hunting can be with almost anything you like, dont worry about diversifying there unless you really get into the sport and start killing more than a few coyotes every year.

Post Your Comment
11/27/15 @ 9:04 PM
muskrat30
muskrat30
USER since 10/14/01
I vote an additional gun, then start working on the handguns. The 243 is great for coyotes and deer. The 308 is fine for both too. One isn't getting rich skinning coyotes anyway.

Just use 'big game' bullets in the 243, does just fine.

Post Your Comment
11/27/15 @ 8:22 PM
fishingmaster1997
fishingmaster1997
USER since 4/18/12
Thank you very much sir, I appreciate your input. What caliber do you recommend for deer/coyote? Would a .223 be sufficient or is it not enough? As for slugs out of a smooth bore, I limit my shots to under 30 yards. It's frustrating at times. I'm still considering using my Mossberg, but you bring up many good points I'll take into consideration.

Post Your Comment
11/27/15 @ 7:22 PM
ditto
ditto
USER since 12/6/10
I'll be honest. Get some different guns. If you want to make a "bad ass hunting gun" I certainly wouldn't start with a Mossberg as while they work OK they're on the low end of the quality spectrum.

IMO deer hunting without any sights on a shotgun is one very small step above being unethical. You don't point a slug you aim it and you can't do that with a bead. You could go with a rifled slug barrel but I would MUCH rather have a rifle than a slug gun for more range, better accuracy and more power. Most people don't really need a special coyote rifle as 95%+ of coyote hunters in this state don't shoot more than 1 or 2 per year, just buy a nice deer rifle in 308, 270, 30/06, etc and use it for coyotes also. Pelts are worth next to nothing so why worry about what the bullet does to the pelt?

I would also pick up a 22 as they're great fun to shoot cheap ammo with and if you like squrell hunting a 22 makes it into hunting vs shooting with a 12 gauge.

Post Your Comment