Marlin 336

1/26/14 @ 11:04 AM
ORIGINAL POST
PIKE-FAN
PIKE-FAN
USER since 8/4/09
I'm thinking of buying a Marlin 336 for next years deer season. What caliber would everyone recommend. I'm new to rifles being a shotgunner for most of my life. I'm considering the .30-.30, the .35 Rem and possibly the .45/70. I hunt small parcels of woods and almost all my shots would be under 200 yards.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 15 Posts
7/2/14 @ 10:24 PM
collegeboy
collegeboy
USER since 3/27/02
I just bought a scoped marlin 336 in .35 Remington. I have not had the chance to shoot it yet. .35 is supposed to be a great brush caliber. I have found that ammo is near impossible to find. I would buy new in .30-30 for availability to buy bullets. I would gladly sell you my 1976 version with 1.5 boxes of bullets.

Post Your Comment
5/15/14 @ 11:57 PM
Lectrotech
Lectrotech
USER since 11/19/09
I've got a .444 S Marlin, older gun, heavy but comes up quick. It hammers deer real hard but I wouldn't recommend beyond 200 yards even though accurate has not been an issue. I am using controlled expansion 240 grain .44 mag. bullets 1,000 fps faster than recommended (hand loads). It's just the way I roll.

Post Your Comment
5/13/14 @ 12:40 PM
WILD THING SPORT FISHING
WILD THING SPORT FISHING
USER since 5/31/05
I own two Marlin 336s one in .35 rem that my Dad brought from sears in 1950. Three years ago I replaced the rear site apperture with Lyman peep site, the receiver was drilled and tapped from the factory. I had a smith clean 50 years of copper fouling out of it. Used Hornaday Leverlution ammo and got one in groups holding 1 In high at 100 yds. Put lots of venison in the pot, still tighter than a 15yr old virgin. When I had the chance to horse trade a Finnish Nagant for a Marlin 336 in 45-70 jumped at it. It was never used. Tink he was afraid of it. Dont know how they are now that Remington took them over. Heard some stuff. Winchester Levers always seemed loose to me. Took a spiker with it, the out hole was the size of a beer glass...

Post Your Comment
2/26/14 @ 5:24 PM
Guidedfishing
Guidedfishing
USER since 8/2/01
We have a pre-cross bolt safety 336 in 30-30. Its well fitted, smooth as silk. Wears a low power 2.5X scope and at 100yards holds just a tight as group as any bolt action rifle. With a handload I can get it less than 1in. Mostly the boys use it for bear hunting early season now, and sees some action with one of the nephews during deer hunting. Its taken a lot of critters by many of the family.

Most everyone hunts with a bolt gun now, almost all Ruger M77's or Hawkeye's but that little 30-30 sure handles nice and shoots as nice as it did when I bought it in H.S. back in the 70's,

Can't speak for new Marlins, but any of the calibers they are chambered in may not be glamorous by today's standards but they will make anything just as dead.

Hit something with the pumpkin size slug from a 45-70 rumbling along and the stuffing will come out of it pretty quick.

shoot straight and shoot often. GF

Edited on 2/26/14 5:25 PM
Post Your Comment
2/26/14 @ 3:45 PM
RainbowRunner
RainbowRunner
USER since 5/31/02
I hesitate to post this up, but now that the issue of "quality" has been brought up.....

Buddy of mine wanted to go to Cabela's and buy of bunch of fishing stuff for next season. I went along for the ride and spent most of the time in the gun department, looking at this and that, and looking at the Marlin 336.

It seemed kind of "junky", quite frankly.

Maybe I'm just used to the precision of a nice bolt action rifle, or even my Dad's old Winchester 94 32 Special. The Marlin 336 was certainly LIGHT IN WEIGHT, no doubt about that. But I think it had a synthetic stock and the action seemed all ratchety and not smooth at all. I really didn't like the gun and I most certainly will not be buying one.

Kind of "disappointing", really......

Post Your Comment
2/24/14 @ 11:25 PM
Lectrotech
Lectrotech
USER since 11/19/09
Better do some searches about Marlin Quality. Has something to do with a recent purchase by Remington. Fit, finish, trigger pull issues to name a few. Want a 336 maybe look into used. Nice gun. I'm not a 3030 fan I like bigger, but they do work well with modern ammo.

Post Your Comment
2/4/14 @ 4:13 PM
RainbowRunner
RainbowRunner
USER since 5/31/02
Look on the left side of the receiver, just in front of the hammer. If there are two holes that have plug screws, this is where a receiver peep sight is to be mounted. Replace your front bead with a ORANGE glo sight. Unscrew the insert from the peep. It is a FAST and effective sighting system.

No kiddin'?

I'll have to print this out and have a look-see when I get home tonight.

SAY....are you trying to diminish my enthusiasm for purchasing yet another firearm?!?!?

*insert little red flaming guy emoticon*

Post Your Comment
2/4/14 @ 2:45 PM
Badgerloader
Badgerloader
USER since 4/10/11
Mr. Rainbow runner: Although I have a half dozen Leupold scoped rifles, I usually use my Mod.94 32 Spcl. when shots are usually 50 yards of less and never over 150 yards. Look on the left side of the receiver, just in front of the hammer. If there are two holes that have plug screws, this is where a receiver peep sight is to be mounted. Replace your front bead with a ORANGE glo sight. Unscrew the insert from the peep. It is a FAST and effective sighting system. I have used it to shoot deer from 2 yards up to a measured 140 yards. I prefer a peep over my Leupold - scoped rifles for timber hunting.

Post Your Comment
2/4/14 @ 12:24 PM
RainbowRunner
RainbowRunner
USER since 5/31/02
HEY....that Marlin 336 looks like a real nice gun.

Yeah, I could see adding one of those to the collection.

As far as the 30-30 caliber, lemme tell ya, I've been shooting 30.06 (Remington 700BDL and Browning BAR) as well as 35 Whelen (Remington 700CDL) for the past 30 years or so and either of those calibers are "way more than enough" for whitetail at the distances you mention. In my own whitetail hunting (Nicolet National Forest) many shots are at less than 50 yards. I've shot whitetail at 10-15 yards. At those distances, the 30.06 is plenty and the 35 Whelen borders on "gross overkill".

The last deer I shot (a doe) went approximately 0.8 inches after being shot with the 35 Whelen at 20-25 yards.

It would be nice to add a lever action gun to the collection. I have my Dad's old Winchester Model 94 in 32 Special but, being a top ejector, I can't mount a scope on it without hacking the gun all up (my LL colleagues convinced me to not "butcher" my old 32 by adding a scope). I like the certainty of putting the crosshairs on the chest and BLAMMO, dinner is served.

Marlin Model 336 30-30 hey?

I'm going to check this out.

RR

Edited on 2/4/14 12:25 PM
Post Your Comment
2/4/14 @ 7:25 AM
land man
land man
USER since 9/12/06
Both the 30-30 and 35 Remington would be good choices. The 45-70 kicks too much for me. I second the recommendations of everyone else as far as cost and availability of ammo for the 30-30. It is always the cheapest deer rifle ammo out there and almost every store carries it. Fleet Farm, Gander Mountain, etc. have 35 Remington ammo too, but the cost is more (about 50-75% more). The 30-30 and the 35 Remington have very similar ballistics.

The 30-30 is a very good deer caliber out to 150 yards with standard ammo. I have used it with very good success in a Marlin 336 and now my sister bought mine from me and killed a number of deer with it.

Back in the 1950s and 1960s the 30-30 was the #1 deer killing caliber out there. My dad and grandfather killed a HUGE number of deer with that caliber back in the day. Deer now are not any larger, stronger, or tougher to kill, so it should work very well for you. The primary reason I don't use it anymore myself (having bought a 270) is because I hunt marshes and field edges where 200+ yard shots are fairly common. The 270 is better for those. But, if your shots will all be closer, the 30-30 is an excellent choice.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 15 Posts