SEARCH
MORE
Guns & Shooting

Hoppes 9 or CLR or....?

4/11/17 @ 9:35 PM
INITIAL POST
goju
User since 12/30/10

I've always been old school and used Hoppes 9 cleaner, solvent and gun oil.  Had 2 gunsmiths at 2 different shops tell me today that they use nothing but CLR and it works better.  Both claim that consistent use of CLR makes it easier to clean a weapon and helps prevent buildup from forming.  We were talking 22 RF but they said it applied across the board.  

Any ideas or alternate choices? Please don't suggest gasoline, I am not that old school. Anymore.

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts
12/11/17 @ 3:58 PM
Wieland Outdoors
Wieland Outdoors
User since 3/27/10

Without a doubt, CLR and other synthetics are much better for modern firearms. The need for solvents has pretty much gone to the wayside. Even though some powders burn "dirty", they are still much better than ever before.Old school practices in cleaning had you "Oiling the bore". Having oil in the barrel when you shoot leaves carbon deposits as the oil burns. All my barrels are swabbed with windex window cleaner so that I have no oil in the barrel.

I shoot 338L and 270wsm for 1200meter and under. With the hundreds of rounds I send a month, I still do not use any solvent based cleaners. A light coat of synthetic Breakthrough, and I have flawless results. I'm getting 9,000 to 12,000 rounds per barrel so I don't argue with the results.

I do use all copper bullets (Barnes) in my hunting rifles. After anywhere from 250 to 400 rounds, I will begin to see a very slight drift in my groups at 300 to 400 meters. That is when I do a copper solvent KG-12.

4/12/17 @ 10:15 AM
Goosecaller
User since 7/21/01

Honestly,

The best cleaner there is for you gun is Simple Green... Let your parts soak for a couple hours, then wipe. You will never get your gun/gun parts cleaner..

4/12/17 @ 7:02 AM
Paddle Power
Paddle Power
User since 1/6/17

I still clean everything with Hoppe's, it just plain works and I like the smell.

For lube I use Break Free CLP, Machine Gunners Lube, or Slip 2000 products. Slip 2000 is awesome if you are into carbine classes or like to run your stuff hard. You can find Machine Gunners Lube in tiny little bottles that fit great in some AR stocks and grips.

CLP is a pretty good jack of all trades master of none type of stuff. I may be biased though, as that's all I used when I worked for Uncle Sam.

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE