MORE
Guns & Shooting

High end air rifles?

3/4/19 @ 11:22 AM
INITIAL POST
mac da gaff
mac da gaff
PRO MEMBER User since 9/23/01

Thinking of getting one to plink, small game hunt and etc... Anyone have any experience with them and recommendations?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 21 posts
1/31/21 @ 2:49 PM
rottenfisher1
rottenfisher1
User since 11/8/10

I was just thinking about the ammo shortage. Air rifles can be one solution, if you are looking for a rifle. Ammo is still cheap and available. They do make them in .45 caliber, too.
https://topairgun.com/product/45-seneca-big-bore-909s/

9/30/19 @ 6:45 AM
Shellfish
User since 7/19/03

My brothers wife contacted me and asked for help on finding her husband a high end air rifle.  I researched and came up with Weirauch air rifles.  Contact Air guns of Arizona for help, they were very helpful to my sister in law in making the purchase.  After he recieved his gift I asked my lucky brother how his Weirauch was shooting.  He reports 1.5 to 2 in groups at 75 yards.  He states he is a threat to gophers all through his big yard.  Sounds pretty good for a 22 cal air rifle.  Comments about air rifle compatible scopes are important.  The odd recoil of air rifles will cause premature failure of standard rifle scope.  You need to use scopes designed for air rifles.

This rifle is not your daisy red rider and will set you back a few bucks.  Cost range will be $350 up to holy crap dollars.  Scope will be extra.

Good luck and have fun shooting.

Shellfish

4/2/19 @ 9:05 AM
oldhunter
User since 2/28/13

I should have added that in my extensive research, I found that matching pellets, brand, type and weight, to the particular gun is quite essential to obtain accuracy. Even pellet guns can be complex.

4/1/19 @ 8:31 PM
Lectrotech
Lectrotech
User since 11/19/09

I tried a few break barrels Gamo, RWS and another brand, in .177 and .22.  Wasn't happy with any of them.  For accurate shooting I have a Crosman 766.  I'm looking into something better. Thanks for the leads.

4/1/19 @ 5:45 PM
oldhunter
User since 2/28/13

First decisions to be made are how serious do you want to be and how much do you want to spend.  I too had screwed around with cheaper versions that you couldn't shoot a ten inch group at 15-20 yards. I finally decided enough of that and after a lot of research, I purchased a RWS 350 Magnum combo break barrel in .177. With the right pellets, I have no problem with consistently  hitting squirrels, rabbits, etc. at 40-50 yards.At the time it costs about $450.00 for the package which included a quality 3X9 scope and hard case and extras.

Just google "pyramid air".  All they deal with is pellet guns and ammo, reasonable and trustworthy dealer.  They probably have every brand of pellet guns available. Good Luck!

3/31/19 @ 7:53 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

I have a .22 Weihrauch. I really like it. Knocks squirrels over dead, and is accurate enough to knock a cowbird off his perch at 30 yards.

Im sure most know this, but you can’t use a regular scope on a pellet rifle. The recoil will turn them into junk in short order. You have to purchase a scope designed for the specific recoil of pellet rifles.  Also, the scope mounts are very different from that of conventional mounts. 

I purchased my scope and mounts from Air Gun Depot 

They have a really nice selection of quality scopes.  

High end air rifles? photo by Plmlk
3/30/19 @ 10:19 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

Jake all that was done,I have  mounted scopes for 50 years.I have no interest in guns that can not shoot well.My sheradan shoots .250 groops at 10 meters gamo is lucky to shot 2in that will not cut it.

3/30/19 @ 6:49 AM
Jake & Dan
User since 4/4/09

I have a gamo and it shoots great with the right pellets. First you need to lock-tight the screws for your scope so it does not walk on you. Second you can't use cheap pellets and expect accuracy. I do not remembe the brand but they are the ones at Fleet with the red plactic tip.

3/29/19 @ 11:55 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

Glad you are not looking at a gamo,they are a pos like said before my 50 year old sherdan shoots way better than that crapi use less cement block.

3/29/19 @ 8:26 AM
mac da gaff
mac da gaff
PRO MEMBER User since 9/23/01

Lots of great feedback from you all! I really appreciate the insight.

I am unfamiliar with air guns but can hold my own on most other firearms. It's time to clear a gun or two out of my cabinet to make room for a new air rifle!

Thanks to all of you and keep it coming, I can't be the only guy thinking about getting a new high performance air gun.

Mac

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pyramydair.com%2Fimages%2FPY-1498_Diana-RWS-34P-Pro_1473359308.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pyramydair.com%2Fs%2Fm%2FDiana_RWS_34P_Pro_Compact%2F1498&docid=krPBNaZ0Akv2uM&tbnid=v2oIfztoRqXL2M%3A&vet=1&w=1600&h=1200&hl=en&source=sh%2Fx%2Fim

3/22/19 @ 12:33 PM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

I lucked out getting a used Beeman RX because I asked my local gun shop to tell me if any break barrel springers came in. All the airguns I have are .22 cal. The first thing, is to find out what pellets it likes. One low powered springer shot great with 3 different pellets. Another only liked  one kind but they were really hard to push into the breech. Search for pellets in different weights as well as brands to see what works best in you're gun. Cheap pellets may work fine but the whole idea is to get the best accuracy and pellet selection for that particular gun. An example of this was my slug barrel for my shotgun, only liked copper solids. Pest control with .177 cal. means perfect shot placement to avoid "ice picking" where pass thru shots don't hit enough vitals. RWS pellets cost a little more than some brands but they are very accurate in several of my guns. I paid $99 for my overpowered Hatsan and "couldn't hit the side of a barn". As mentioned earlier, you could spend thousands on a pre-charged air cannon. I'd recommend getting a Wierauch HW50 for $325 from Airguns of Arizona.

3/21/19 @ 6:03 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

I got Gamos and theyre defintiely overpriced POS. Like you say cant hit the broadside of a barn with them and theyre loud. Absolute waste. When its time to eliminate pests in the yard the go to gun is a 20 year old crosman 760 that cost us $25.  The cheap crosman looks like its been through a war but the damn $150 gamos dont even come close to being anything respectable.

3/21/19 @ 11:55 AM
sheephead
User since 2/8/17

I have a gamo 177 cal air rifle and i can't hit the side of a barn with it. I can site in and it is good for about 4 shots and then it is spraying pellets all over. I thought about buying a different scope and see if that would help. 

3/20/19 @ 8:37 PM
shadling1
User since 1/17/12

Plenty of air rifles put there if that's what you really want, or want an excuse to buy something new. I ran into a pest problem when I lived in town and debated a high end air rifle. 

However after shooting a friends, found it was louder then my 10/22 or bolt action .22 loaded with CCI quiet loads. CCI quiets were only about 4 bucks a box and pushed only a bit over 700fps. Took plenty tree rats at about 25 yards and a couple rabbits out of the garden at about 35 yards. Only downfall was manual ejecting them out of a 10/22 as they wouldn't cycle the bolt, but still no big deal.

3/20/19 @ 7:21 PM
Bullman
User since 4/10/15

As already mentioned, just get a bolt action 22 and purchase 22 long CB caps. Much quieter than the pellet gun and actuate out to 50 yards. Better knock down power as well.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 21 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE