End 24 'Cooling Off' Period for Handgun Purchase?

2/26/15 @ 8:59 AM
ORIGINAL POST
muskrat30
muskrat30
USER since 10/14/01
This is the talk and hopefully a bill making it's way through the WI legislature that would eliminate the 48 hour waiting period for handgun purchases. One still would have the background check, as with a 'long gun'. I strongly support this rule change. MI went the same way, tied to a CCW permit there I believe. I have stopped in various gun shops in my WI travels where I would of bought a handgun if I didn't have to swing by again after 48 hours. Some may say, 'no one needs a gun that bad they can't wait two days'. My answer to that is, what good does this restriction do? If they want they could even tie it to a valid CCW permit. How about some support on this issue? I don't even need anything, but once in a while the 'impulse' strikes. Sorry, I ment 48 hour period in title.
Edited on 2/26/15 9:14 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 14 Posts
3/10/16 @ 6:47 AM
muskrat30
muskrat30
USER since 10/14/01
Well I did an 'instant check' the other week, still took about 5 hours. Luckily I was cooled off by then. LOL.

It was a local shop, so I drove on back. It is a Ruger LC9 'Pro', very nice so far.

Post Your Comment
2/5/16 @ 7:44 PM
bowtech Dee
bowtech Dee
USER since 10/23/12
If he didn't have access to a gun he would of done it some other way.

Post Your Comment
2/5/16 @ 5:55 PM
ere
ere
USER since 2/22/07
I guarantee that this will be brought up in the coming days, shooting on Madison's east side tuesday night, 24 year old female shot in the head and abdomen by ex-boyfriend with a documented history of mental Illness. Gun was purchased on Monday, would have shot her Monday evening but by the time he 'practiced' with the gun she had already gotten off work. He then waited for her Tuesday evening shooting her in the parking lot where she worked.

Post Your Comment
6/26/15 @ 3:19 PM
Timmer72
Timmer72
USER since 12/26/06
This has gone into effect as of today (06/26/15). As a dealer it should help with sales at gun shows, especially when I'm an hour or more away from home. One thing that many folks don't know is that part of this bill allows the DOJ to take up to 5 business days to give an approval or denial. BGC's usually take from 10 minutes up to 2 hours for approval. This afternoon the customer had to hang around just over an hour waiting on the DOJ. Long gun BGC's go through the FBI, are free and normally take a couple minutes at most. Many states just use the FBI NICS to run background checks. Why not WI? Probably the extra $10 they get for every check that is submitted.

Post Your Comment
6/26/15 @ 8:48 AM
muskrat30
muskrat30
USER since 10/14/01
This was signed into law the other day. I don't know if it's in effect yet.

Post Your Comment
2/28/15 @ 9:06 AM
muskrat30
muskrat30
USER since 10/14/01
Guided, I totally agree that just a CC permit doesn't add much if anything to the 'instant' check. I offered it up if some wanted a stepping stone before the regular check.

Beside the 48 hours I don't see what the reason is for the two days, it isn't like they do any additional checks over that 48 hour period.

I also believe it's mostly urban myth about any lawsuits with same day gun sales. When I mention 'impulse buys', it effects my wallet but not any criminal activity.

The representative on the news mentioned all the data bases the NCIS gun check looked at. It was rather extensive.

Post Your Comment
2/28/15 @ 8:18 AM
Guidedfishing
Guidedfishing
USER since 8/2/01
Why would we limit this to CCW only to make a same day purchase? Since WI does not require finger prints our CCW permit is essentially the same as the NICS check when you boil it down. Same check rifle, shotgun, pistol.

I hardly feel that a background check with a hunter safety certificate makes a CCW permit holder more qualified to make a same day purchase than anyone else who is going to have the same NICS check performed at the time of purchase.

I would argue that it would make more sense to do a NICS check at the time of purchase as opposed to using one that may be over a year or more old from your state CCW permit. Today if you purchase and you have a CCW permit you still have to do a NICS check at the time of purchase and I doubt that will change so your CCW permit really will not get you anywhere in WI..

As a permit holder in multiple states and a retirement full of years in the infantry I don't feel that should influence a person's ability to make a legal purchase. And using the unsubstantiated myth of a cooling off period to justify a waiting period is not backed up by any analytical data of substance.

"walmart stopped selling hand guns because of impulse buying" That would be an interesting read, more urban myth. Anything that happens at walmart is linked to making money and not making money vs market & risk.

Good Luck

Post Your Comment
2/28/15 @ 5:26 AM
muskrat30
muskrat30
USER since 10/14/01
I think the vast majority that buy a handgun already own one. If they wanted to 'go postal' they have the means already.

How about if we do it like MI then, with a CC permit you take it home the day of purchase?

Post Your Comment
2/27/15 @ 8:48 PM
Guidedfishing
Guidedfishing
USER since 8/2/01
Point is you can walk out the door with any rifle or shotgun you like after a legal purchase and background check.

If you want to take the route of pushing the unvalidated so called cooling off period, then what about the women that wants to make a purchase to protect herself but can't because she has to wait. I know she buys a shot gun.

That is how lame the waiting period argument is. And since we are only one of 10 states that still has it, we have not exactly heard a rash of states going back to the antiqued waiting period because of impulse emotional purchases.

good luck

Post Your Comment
2/27/15 @ 10:16 AM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
Walmart stopped selling all handguns because of these impulsive purchases and subsequent (same day) killings.

Yes Bugle, you can easily buy a $200 hand gun, check out fleet farm.

I believe that the current push to change the law back to "no cool off" period is that state law now prevents lawsuits against the retailer. When the cool off law was orignially enacted retailers were under pressure from potential liability. So this push for change is probably coming from the retail industry and their lobbyists to boost "impulse sales" that muskrat speaks of.

Edited on 2/27/15 10:17 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 14 Posts