MORE
Guns & Shooting

Does anyone have the Browning A5

7/7/14 @ 12:44 PM
INITIAL POST
Duckmusky
Duckmusky
User since 12/31/11
Hi! Im looking at getting the Browning A5 3.5 chamber with a 28" barrel in camo. I would be using it for primarily duck hunting. I hunt till season closes. This gun will be used and abused through ice up. Does anyone care to offer their opinion. It's right in my price range and looks like a quality gun that I could hand down to my 2 year old son someday. Thanks Cool
Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts
9/16/18 @ 3:19 AM
Jared
Jared
User since 7/22/01

I have 3, two are from my Dad when he passed. They are great guns. Never really had any problems.

I loved my A5 (left). Got the LT-20 from my dad as well and it's pretty sweet for upland birds. 

9/15/18 @ 2:29 PM
Purple Skeeter
User since 7/2/06

My brother gave me a new A-5, 3.5 inch, 30 inch marshland camouflage browning 3 years ago just before he passed away from cancer.

I’ve been duck hunting for 47 years with everything from a double to many autos.   Here’s my assessment on the new A-5.

love the feel of the gun, quick to mount,  shoots excellent.  Perfect plane to swing and find birds.  Regular 3” low recoil.  Gun functions well with no ejection problems.   I love the feel of this gun with about 500+ rounds.

the bad.... I’ve sent the gun back to browning 2 times in 3 years.  Gun will not fire first shell,  no dent on primer,  bolt completely closed.  never fails after that.  Browning found problem on second return.  Now I always bring An extra auto loader in the boat just in case my new a-5 fails.  I just bought a new browning gold 10 gauge auto,  marshland camo,  can’t wait to shoot it.  I know it’s slower than the 12- 3 1/2’s,  but I shot one for 10 years and loved it.  I also shot a new Franchi 12, 3 1/2 infinity for a backup last 2 years,  love this gun,  same configuration as the a5.

Watch for the rebates, I’ve seen them go from anywhere from $1150-1500.

3/2/17 @ 8:57 AM
jimmymuller
jimmymuller
User since 6/20/16

I have a Browning A5 which my father used regularly for duck hunting. It is the best shotgun . I have used for duck and goose hunting

7/14/14 @ 1:06 PM
uplander
uplander
User since 10/6/09
I had a older A-5 when I was young lad, I bought it from my foreman at the time and he really liked me so he gave me a deal I couldnt pass up. Then I had a gunsmith friend of mine put a new blue job on it. Really a pretty gun.everyone who tried it loved it, The problem was I couldnt hit the broad side of a barn with it. so I traded it to a buddie of mine dad who collected them 250 bucks and a remington model 81 in 300 savage.then I sold that for 200 bucks. all in all I made 250 when it was all said and done. But a fine gun it was and I still look at them when I see them. I love them.
7/11/14 @ 12:26 PM
SHEEPD0G
SHEEPD0G
User since 5/22/12
I love my new 3.5" a5 as well, it cycles everything from the lightest trap loads to the heaviest 3.5" mags with ease. I bought my dad a maxus last year as well, and that gun is a shooter too, but for me the sight plane on the a5 just fits my eye better. In my opinion you really can't go wrong with either.
7/10/14 @ 10:47 AM
lovestofishnhunt
PRO MEMBER User since 6/13/06
Ironically enough, gun stories had a half hour episode last night on the Browning A5. I never new the whole barrel retracted to kick out the empty on that gun (the old A5's) Very interesting story.
7/8/14 @ 10:44 PM
1fowl one
1fowl one
User since 12/9/10
I do agree, the 3 1/2" is unnecessary. But for the hundred extra bucks, to have the option is worth it. (It's nice if you run out of shells and your buddy still has a hand full of 3 1/2" in his pocket) or to be able to buy whatever is on sale? I had a maxxis, didn't care for the location of the bolt stop, cleaning another gas op, and you couldn't add a extended tube to it (for the snows).....and that's only my opinion. But after seeing this thread, I had to go pull it apart and clean it. Think I could have ran another 500 threw it? Took a pic of the Briley oversized op handle, with the factory one in front of it. I also hunt till the end of the season and it's a must when you're shooting with large frozen gloves on.
7/8/14 @ 5:44 PM
muskrat30
muskrat30
User since 10/14/01
I think it would be fine, I have a Browning Gold 12 ga. I know it's preference, but I'd get a 26" barrel & a 3" chamber. If you ever need max performance just use the high $$, high density ammo. You can also get an aftermarket choke & add an inch to the barrel. I like Trulock chokes, others are fine too.
7/8/14 @ 4:03 PM
1cast-away
User since 2/2/09
You guys line up your beads while I shoot the ducks. Haha I looked at an A5 but the Maxxus fits me better. I'm still using my original Gold Hunter without a bead...it broke off years ago. If I had the extra coin I would probably pick up a Maxxus myself.
7/8/14 @ 2:06 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
Just remember that you shouldn't be looking straight down the barrel you should be able to see the entire rib. Double beads should be one on top of the other, not behind each other.
7/8/14 @ 12:48 PM
Duckmusky
Duckmusky
User since 12/31/11
Thanks for the input. I went to Gander and put it to the shoulder a few times and it felt great. I really like how the "humpback" is flat unlike the conventional curve. My eye seems to be forced to look straight down the barrel. Take care all!
7/8/14 @ 9:13 AM
1fowl one
1fowl one
User since 12/9/10
I've had mine about a year now, great gun! As someone posted, before you buy it, try it. Put it up a few times, maybe even try something else that's equivalent, put that one up to your shoulder a couple times, then go back to the A5. Far as fine tuning, it comes with plenty of shims. For some reason, I did need to use a shim. Otherwise, a tad noisier than my SBE, but smoother, its easy to clean, and love the auto load function (need to get familiar with it, or it will get a finger). The only thing I didn't like was the charging/operating handle, a little small. So I switched it out with a aftermarket oversized one. It is so nice I switched my other ones out also. And to be very honest, I pulled it apart after the first two times out, just to take a peak, looked great, assembled it. Between the waterfowl season, pheasant farms and sporting clays, gotta have 500 rounds through it and not a glitch. That's everything from 3 1/2"-2 3/4". If it feels good on your shoulder, you'll love it.
7/7/14 @ 2:17 PM
lovestofishnhunt
PRO MEMBER User since 6/13/06
The old A5 is kind of a bugger to clean. I don't know about the new ones but I do know as Ditto says that the internals are very different. I have a few Brownings and I love every one of them...however, that A5 doesn't fit me at all so obviously shoulder it before you get your heart set on it.
7/7/14 @ 2:11 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
The A5 that the OP is talking about is nothing like the original except for the name. That's probably a good thing as the original was a revolutionary design when it came out but has been outdated for decades hence why they don't even make it anymore.
7/7/14 @ 1:25 PM
Badgerloader
User since 4/10/11
The A5 design has stood the test of time.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE