Cooling off a barrel

9/19/18 @ 12:03 PM
ORIGINAL POST
hockeyguy39
hockeyguy39
USER since 8/24/07

Is there a way to cool off a barrel at a range to shorten the time between shots for the sake of sighting in?  My follow up shots with a warm barrel tend to group together, but off from where my first shot with a cold barrel hits. 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 Posts
9/26/18 @ 11:58 AM
hockeyguy39
hockeyguy39
USER since 8/24/07

It's a Remington 783 in 30/06. 

Someone at the range mentioned that as a possibility. 

Post Your Comment
9/25/18 @ 9:17 PM
1up
1up
USER since 7/22/06

you have a bedding problem  what type of rifle you using  make model?

Post Your Comment
9/21/18 @ 1:54 PM
madforlabs
madforlabs
USER since 12/20/12

For all practical purposes, barrel temperature is a total non-factor for typical big game shots inside 400 yards. Take a look at any ammo manufacturers ballistics tables and mess with the ambient temperature variable and you'll see what I mean.

Barrel temperature during sight-in can have an impact but for Wisconsin ranges it's pretty insignificant. You can minimize the impact by making sure you never have a live cartridge in the chamber while cooling down as this heats the powder resulting in greater velocities.

Sorry hockeyguy, your first shot was just a poor one.

Post Your Comment
9/21/18 @ 1:26 PM
hockeyguy39
hockeyguy39
USER since 8/24/07

Haven't sighted it in this fall yet, but when I went after the December doe hunt because I didn't hit the deer anywhere near where I was aiming (actually wound up unzipping it with my shot ...not much left to gut once we found it), the first shot was about 6" left. The 2nd and 3rd shots were right on target though. 

Post Your Comment
9/21/18 @ 11:38 AM
kvandehei33
kvandehei33
USER since 12/19/11

How much of a difference are we talking? Haven't heard of this being an issue before but it makes sense. Just curious how much off you're noticing with the warm barrel.

Post Your Comment
9/21/18 @ 10:01 AM
countyline
countyline
USER since 1/2/13

I hang two targets. The last first shot I used. I'll use 5-6 times.  Then bang away on the other just to shoot .

Cold bore sighting. Painfully long process.

I usually bring the pistol so I can keep busy while it cools or other rifles. 

I reload using temp stable powders.  Depending on what is loaded in your cases from the factory, you could have some major fps differences from now till November. Resulting in another sight in. 

Post Your Comment
9/19/18 @ 4:02 PM
One shot one kill
One shot one kill
MEMBER since 8/12/02

Unless it's a big difference,  I'd go with where the cold shot goes . Your hunting , not fighting a war . If it's only a difference of an inch or three at 100 yards just keep it in mind for a follow-up if needed  . 

Nothing should cool better than air and time without affecting the barrel  .

Post Your Comment