conceal & carry insurance

1/15/16 @ 5:49 PM
ORIGINAL POST
hawkeye#1
hawkeye#1
USER since 1/10/02
does anyone have input on pro and cons of the insurance available? i see the NRA has a company they are affiliated with, good bad or otherwise?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 12 Posts
4/26/16 @ 9:17 PM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
Very good comments from ifish2fish, as I too have thought about carry insurance.

Post Your Comment
1/25/16 @ 1:12 PM
ditto
ditto
USER since 12/6/10
I think it's uneccessary if you have a head on your shoulders and aren't shooting people because they look funny. And for the VERY unlikely chance that 1. You'll ever have to draw your gun 2. You would then have to shoot it and 3. you would then be sued I hope the premiums are about $2.00 per year.

Post Your Comment
1/24/16 @ 10:59 AM
1fish2fish
1fish2fish
USER since 11/23/01
I used to own a holster company that exclusively made concealed carry holsters and I have worked with many other companies in the firearms industry. The details of what is covered and not covered, when they pay and how they support you all makes a difference when choosing this type of insurance.

In general, I think it's a good idea. People found not guilty can still have to shell out over $100k due to the fees associated with a legal and civil court battle. Also, just because you win the legal battle doesn't mean you will win in civil court.

Questions you want to ask before buying are

1 - When do they come to your aid?

2 -Will they pay for your lawyer up front or reimburse you for the cost after the trial?

3 - What are the limitations of the policy?

4 - Who decides if you qualify for the pay out?

There are three companies I would recommend researching are:

1 - Legal Defense Network. Massad Ayoob is a board member. If you carry a firearm for self defense and do not know who he is you should stop reading this and google him.

2 - USCCA. Wisconsin based company that supported carriers long before it was legal in Wisconsin

3 - NRA. Needs no introduction.

All three are reputable and would stand behind their products.

Post Your Comment
1/22/16 @ 3:31 PM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
The info from one of my companies is that they will provide coverage if they deem that your actions were reasonable for the defense of persons or property.I don't have a CC but if I did, I would buy the specialized coverage. This exposure is much broader than described above and coverage is subject to interpretation , after the fact.Mrt

Post Your Comment
1/22/16 @ 3:01 PM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
I will order a brief from one of my company's legal departments and post the highlites. Mrt.

Post Your Comment
1/19/16 @ 7:39 PM
hawkeye#1
hawkeye#1
USER since 1/10/02
trapper jed I appreciate your input not biased towards anyone in particular just wanted to hear the general publics opinion.

Post Your Comment
1/19/16 @ 10:18 AM
Trapper Jed
Trapper Jed
USER since 3/7/11
My wife works for the USCCA "United States concealed carry association". They're a wisconsin company and They were the first to offer concealed carry insurance to the general public. The wife has told me a bit about the NRAs insurance and you won't get near the support and customer service if you go with re NRA. Not to try to make a sale or anything but the USCCA is a great organization that has helped quite a few people already not to mention the information they make available through there website and magazines. Sorry for the sales pitch but I highly suggest checking them out if your considering consealed carry insurance.

Post Your Comment
1/18/16 @ 5:58 PM
hawkeye#1
hawkeye#1
USER since 1/10/02
my co worker has it his dad told him about it he is a certified NRA handgun instructor and recommended it.Depending on the plan you get they provide civil suit defense,civil suit damages accidental shooting,criminal defense cash bonds, attorney retainers and compensation for while in court. just wondering if anyone has it or looked into it

Post Your Comment
1/17/16 @ 8:38 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
I've always viewed concealed carry as insurance.

Post Your Comment
1/17/16 @ 7:48 PM
muskrat30
muskrat30
USER since 10/14/01
Waste of $$ as far as I'm concerned.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 12 Posts