Browning Maxus

1/5/15 @ 10:58 AM
ORIGINAL POST
muddog22
muddog22
USER since 10/21/10
Looking at buying a new shotgun and really like the browning maxus. Anyone have any experience with gun? Good, bad, or indifferent? Thanks in advance.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 Posts
2/8/17 @ 10:11 AM
1fowl one
1fowl one
USER since 12/9/10

Mud dog

I would look at the browning A5 also. The maxus is a great gun, no doubt. Imo tho... I have both gas and "inertia/ kinematic" driven shotguns. Far as recoil, weight, and cycling speed, minimal difference. But keeping them clean so they perform flawless constantly. The inertia driven are more forgiving. And midway through the grind of the waterfowl season that's important to me. My guns kinda get neglected. Most importantly is feel and fit.

And I'll beat someone to it. If the "hump" of the A5 is a distraction/in your view. THAT'S GOOD! It means the gun don't fit you correctly and you'll shim the stock. Which means now the gun fits you better in return more hits. 

One minor thing to think about also. If you hunt snows, you can't put a X mag rail on the maxus.     Good luck.

Post Your Comment
2/8/17 @ 8:06 AM
jimmymuller
jimmymuller
USER since 6/20/16

The new Browning Maxus is the softest and most reliable shotgun in the world. It is ultra reliable, fast handling, semi auto shotgun and totally modern design loaded with many features.

Post Your Comment
1/7/15 @ 11:15 AM
muskrat30
muskrat30
USER since 10/14/01
Do you have the chamber length and barrel figured out? I would get a 26" barrel with a 3" chamber, JMHO of course.

Post Your Comment
1/7/15 @ 10:40 AM
AllDayIDreamAboutSmallies
MEMBER since 3/14/06
I would shoulder and point all the candidates before purchasing one. I didn't go to the store with one specific gun in mind. I had been leaning towards a Benneli SB Eagle.Just settled on the one that I was most comfortable with. Use my SX-3 pheasant hunting alot. Probably picked it out of the cabinet more than my nice O/U's! Good luck! Let us know what you decide.

Post Your Comment
1/7/15 @ 8:59 AM
muddog22
muddog22
USER since 10/21/10
I would use the gun primarily for pheasant but try for ducks on occasion. Very rarely would i be chasing after geese. I don't like the hump back design on the A5, the maxus just seems to shoulder much better for me. Thanks for the comments guys.

Post Your Comment
1/7/15 @ 8:26 AM
MEMBER since 3/14/06
Check out a Winchester sx-3. In my opinion it points nicer than the other autos. And I looked at Benelli, Beretta, Browning etc. Winchester and Browning are the same company now. Nice gun for about a grand if you shop around a bit!

Post Your Comment
1/6/15 @ 10:21 PM
1fowl one
1fowl one
USER since 12/9/10
Muddog, why are you leaning towards the maxus? Did you check out/put up the A5? Is this going to be your "go to", primary, hunting shotgun? You really can't go wrong with either, but.....The gas op Maxus needs a little more TLC, such as cleaning more often. Also, if you hunt snows, no one makes a mag extension for it. Some say not yet, some say never? Also, If I recall the A5 was a couple hun less than the max, but i purchased them a couple years apart. Far as recoil, I have ran everything from light trap loads to heavy 3 1/2" through both. If you really pay attention, switch up from one to the other, I guess you can tell a difference between the two. It's minimal. Just my two cents, good luck.

Post Your Comment
1/5/15 @ 6:06 PM
samfox
samfox
USER since 3/17/09
Shot one for the last season and a half. Love it

Post Your Comment
1/5/15 @ 3:58 PM
TRetzlaff
TRetzlaff
USER since 12/4/09
It's a solid gun on a proven platform. It's the next evolution of the Browning/Winchester Gold series.

Post Your Comment