MENU Lake-Link.com MORE

Anyone here a 1911 fan?

7/1/14 @ 10:11 PM
ORIGINAL POST
lovestofishnhunt
lovestofishnhunt
MEMBER since 6/13/06
Thinking about purchasing my first 1911 but there are a million different options out there. I am not really interested in Kimber. I have heard just as many horror stories as positive ones with that brand. So far, I am leaning towards a sig sauer. Anything else in terms of brands I should look at?
Edited on 7/1/14 10:12 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 39 Posts
6/19/19 @ 9:37 PM
Its all G
Its all G
USER since 10/29/09

Watch Dunham’s for Remington 1911 .45 

They have sale prices at $525, but recently I’ve seen a rebate with that which brings it to $450.  

Post Your Comment
6/18/19 @ 8:54 PM
1up
1up
USER since 7/22/06

My real life experiences have taught me this. If you shoot the mofo in the brain box they die. What caliber type of bullet does not matter.  Shoot the most powerful reliable handgun you can afford accurately.   Take bridge of nose shots and they die but this takes practice practice practice and real live stress in real life to accomplish.   Or shoot them center mass as many times as fast as you can and let them leak out there hydraulic fluid (blood) But 1 well placed head shot means death now. I have a Sig 226 way old Austrian made in 9mm my best friend for 33 years+ in 9mm always went bang when needed 

Post Your Comment
6/18/19 @ 7:27 PM
goju
goju
USER since 12/30/10

Local gunshop has a Rock Island 1911 in .45 ACP for $399.  For $50, he can install a safety that allows a basically double action style.  

Post Your Comment
3/15/19 @ 4:40 PM
JimLi
JimLi
USER since 12/20/11

ANYTHING is better than nothing. A .22 will work if you are accurate with it. Good read. "Ballistics as seen from the morgue"

Post Your Comment
3/13/19 @ 8:29 PM
Viszla-Terrier
Viszla-Terrier
USER since 12/27/10

JimIi, there are examples of people being shot multiple times w/various bullet calibers and either continuing the fight &/or surviving. 

I am certainly not saying the 45 acp is not a good round, it most certainly is. I have carried one on and off for more years than I'm willing to tell. 1911 and other platforms. That being said you claimed the 9mm is worthless. NONSENSE. Plenty of facts prove otherwise. You said to look up some stats. There are plenty of "stats" to support an argument either way. I was simply saying that it is your opinion the 9mm is worthless. I do not know you or your background nor do you know mine. There are a lot of things I could refute from statements you made here, but there is no need as we have gotten off the intended topic. I'm sorry to those looking for 1911 only info.. I do not plan on commenting about this again.

For those interested in more on ballistics check out 

Looserounds.com fbi 9mm justification from 9-21-14

Bulletsfirst.net fbi claims stopping power a "myth" 9-30-14

Buckeyefirearms.org an alternate look at handgun stopping power 7-8-11

3 different reads. The 1st supports the 9mm, the 2nd refutes much of the 1st.  The last is the most comprehensive. 

I'm still a fan of the 1911, in 9mm .40 s&w and .45 acp just not exclusively.

Post Your Comment
3/11/19 @ 12:33 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

I had a conversation with a buddy of mine this morning who is ex-Army with combat experience. He thought that 9 mm would be the way to go for me since this gun will primarily be for range use. I have plenty of other firepower to defend my house and it's not like I'm going to conceal carry a 1911. He also mentioned the Barretta 9. I will have to consider that as well but I've wanted a 1911 since shooting one many years ago. I've never shot another handgun that fit me better than a 1911 but I can't say I've ever shot the Barretta.

Also, I ran across this article this weekend about 9 mm vs. 45 acp. The 14 experts have some pretty impressive resumes and 12 of them selected 9 mm. Their comments as to why are in the article.

9 mm vs. 45 acp

Post Your Comment
3/11/19 @ 10:35 AM
One shot one kill
One shot one kill
MEMBER since 8/12/02

When I was looking for a pistol for 3 gun action shoot I went with a Beretta 9 . Ease of cleaning  (4 parts) vs 20 something in an 1911 . And then there is ammo cost . I rarely pay more that 10$ for 50 . Able to practice more  . 

Plus now I have a 9mm Hi Point carbine so i buy ammo in larger quantities  .

Edited on 3/11/19 10:36 AM
Post Your Comment
3/11/19 @ 6:39 AM
JimLi
JimLi
USER since 12/20/11

Do some research. Maj. Husan, US Army. How many times was he shot and still alive. Costing tax payers millions of $. Check out ballistics101.com and see for yourself the differences.

Post Your Comment
3/10/19 @ 12:16 PM
Viszla-Terrier
Viszla-Terrier
USER since 12/27/10

I am a fan of the 1911. Just not exclusively. If you purchase one from a  quality manufacturer and keep it clean at "regular" intervals it should serve you well. Besides having a mystique there's a reason they have been around as long as they have. I personally have never had any issues with Kimbers I have owned. I do personally know people who bought higher end 1911's from 2 very well known custom manufacturers and they had nothing but problems, 2 finally getting their money back from one of them after a lot of back and forth with the guns.

If your going to get one, depending on your intended usage, and the ammunition type you will be using. I say get it in .45, but primarily because of capacity. With limited capacity, go with the bigger bullet, strictly my opinion. Tho I may have gone the opposite way of this thinking a time or two. That being said, Jim Li your opinion on 9mm is just that. Your opinion. Several years ago your opinion probably was closer to the truth. 9mm ballistics have come a long way. Search your info again. Pictures don't tell the whole story. Do a little more research. Ammunition capacity is not the sole driving force behind law enforcement agencies at all levels being primary 9mm. You can argue that recoil control because of lack of training on the individual officer is part of it, and that would be true. Most .45's have noticeably more recoil, but to say 9mm is a worthless round is foolish. Shot placement is the driving factor. Thank God many of our nation's heroes have survived being shot by many pistol calibers & rifles which most would agree can be  far more devastating.

Jim Li if your .45 caliber choice is not driven on its mystique and you believe it carries so much lethal force, maybe you should consider 10mm? Just don't bash 9mms as worthless. Proven fact,that is strictly your opinion.

1911, 9mm-.40 s&w-.45cap,yep I'm a 1st hand fan. Just not exclusively.

Sorry for the rant. Good luck on your decision.

Post Your Comment
3/10/19 @ 10:00 AM
JimLi
JimLi
USER since 12/20/11

Also, Look up some stats on ballistics and you'll see how worthless 9mm is. If you are an Olympic shooter and have no adrenaline, I would stick to .40 or .45. There have been numerous cases of humans being shot 10 times w/9mm and still lived. I don't see a lot of survivors hit w/40/45. A .22 would be good if you can consistantly put it between the eyes under extreme situations.

Look up, "ballistics as seen from the morgue"

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 39 Posts