Wireline Dipsy Rods

5/24/15 @ 8:11 AM
ORIGINAL POST
kaptainkirk_24
kaptainkirk_24
USER since 6/21/07
I'm looking to add a pair of wireline Dipsy rods to my arsenal this year. I have a question on which rods to get. I've looked at Shimano Talora Wireline rods. I was thinking of getting 8 footers so they fit inside my braided dipsy rods. The Talora 8 footers have the stationary roller tip and not the swivel roller like the 9 footers have. They are also $100 cheaper each. Is there that much benefit to the swivel tip? Would I have trouble with the 8 footers that don't have them? Also, does anyone else know of any other decent rods I could buy online? Yesterday I had plans to go to Algoma Hardware to see what they had and got there to find out they have been closed since October and no one in town knew any more. Anyone know of anywhere near Green Bay that carries wireline dipsy rods? Thanks, KaptainKirk_24
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 29 Posts
2/13/17 @ 10:16 AM
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06

Picked up (2) of the new Okuma White Diamond wireline rods. They have compact stainless steel guides and a swivel roller top. At the $100 price point I felt they were my best option. I was considering going with 19 strand wire but after talking to a bunch of people I will go with 7 strand Malin. Looks like old man Winter is losing the battle with the warmer weather predicted over the next week or so. Might have to get the boat out and try to find some browns and ho's. After I have used the new wire rods a half dozen times or so, I will post something to evaluate just how good they are. Can't wait for Summer!!

Edited on 3/11/17 10:22 AM
Post Your Comment
2/2/17 @ 12:08 PM
Fish Hound
Fish Hound
USER since 1/29/02

I use the same 8' Talora's with the Torpedo Wire swivels tip and really like them.

For me I couldn't go any longer because the wire is our inside/deepest diver so there has to be another longer rod "outside" it for the braid diver and sometimes a third which is a Slide Diver.

I use the 8' Talora rollers, 9' Talora MH diver rods for braid, and then a 9'-6" old school brown Daiwa Heartland for Slide Diver's.

Post Your Comment
2/2/17 @ 9:43 AM
Grey Beard
Grey Beard
USER since 1/27/02

If they were $149 likely they were 8'. The price jumps drastically when you go to 10'.

I have 8' Taloras and wish they were 10'. I have been on boats with the 10' and I think the extra 2' works like a shock absorber. Upgrade was more than I wanted to spend but I did change the tip to a swivel tip by Torpedo and works fine. You really have to be careful not to put grooves in your tip. If you don't have a gimbal the rods tend to pivot in the dipsy holder. The swivel tip helps a lot.

Grey Beard

Post Your Comment
2/2/17 @ 9:41 AM
eyecatcher84
eyecatcher84
USER since 3/19/08

You do not need any type of special rod to run wire, IF you use Bloodrun wire. My wire dipsys are just regular Okuma glt dipsy rods with the tip replaced by a Twili-tip. Theyve been in use for 4 seasons now, literally caught hundreds of fish, and are no worse for wear. No grooves in the eyelets and no fraying of the wire whatsoever. Plus they're easier to use and more fun to fight fish on than other wire rods which are cumbersome and heavy. I honestly wouldn't even trade them for Taloras, unless I could sell those and pocket the difference ;)

Post Your Comment
2/1/17 @ 8:06 PM
2nd shift
2nd shift
USER since 8/7/15

Last time I was at Cabelas they had a couple Shimano Talora wire rods with roller guides for $149.99

I didn't think they could be bought for less than $240.00 

But looking online the price is correct.

Post Your Comment
2/1/17 @ 6:40 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

I didn't go through all of the posts to see if anyone mentioned Eagle Claw Roller Rods but I ran two for years with wire dipseys and never had an issue.  When I bought them, they were $40 a piece.  That was 10-15 years ago.

Post Your Comment
2/1/17 @ 6:22 PM
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06

Does anyone have experience with the Okuma White Diamond wireline trolling rods? At 100 bones they look like a good option. No roller guides but a swivel roller tip. Thanks. Really want to get into wire dipsies and just can't see spending 250 bones on a single rod as a weekend warrior.

Post Your Comment
7/10/15 @ 12:28 PM
Bork
Bork
USER since 8/1/01
Mayo16, if you are getting your line wrapped around the diver, usually that is caused by letting it out too fast when you set the rod. Let the diver creep out with the drag.

Post Your Comment
6/30/15 @ 10:47 AM
mayo16
mayo16
USER since 5/23/12
Running wire dipsey had no problems til recently. Lately when I try to release it to check the line the rubber snubber has wrapped around the dipsey. Have caught fish on it this year so I don't think it is set to tight. Any info would be appreciated.

Post Your Comment
6/17/15 @ 2:38 PM
ptuna100
ptuna100
USER since 12/29/07
For knots on wire dipseys they make a product called no knot it's a wire that you just wrap your wire line around it has a hook on the bottom side to first connect the wire too then you wrap it around 4 or 5 times and slip it through the end . I have been using these for 10 years now and never had 1 fail. You can buy them at the bait box in port Washington or the warf in Sheboygan I will take a picture of them and post it on here so you can all see how they work Smile

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 29 Posts