what should I do/excpect after the morning bite?

7/16/15 @ 6:38 PM
ORIGINAL POST
PabloFC
PabloFC
USER since 6/19/05
What do you guys do after the morning bite? Do you go deeper, speed up, slow down, change lures or go home? Should I fish in the morning and then come back before sunset? Please help me out guys! Thanks!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 Posts
8/16/15 @ 10:29 AM
irishff
irishff
USER since 1/17/07
You are going to hit lulls thats for sure but I think there are a couple of things that you can do put fish in the box even when your fishing less than ideal times. 1) With less fish and bait your not going to find fish everywhere even if the temperature is what they like. There are specific spots that are prime real estate that just seem to hold higher concentrations of fish at various times throughout the year. A depth finder with gps waypoints can really come in handy in establishing hot spots. Those hot spots will produce but you have to be diligent when the bite is slow. 2) Network, Network, Network. Get a group of friends that you can share info with. Fish are finicky but once you figure out the presentation they want its amazing how quickly the "fish shut down after sun up" turns into "Fish! Fish! Fish! We have another one on that down rigger with the _____ on it." Having a network of friends can help you figue out that presentation preference a lot quicker. 3) Fish for whats there. I will be the first to admit that I am a king salmon snob and there is nothing I would rather catch then a king that is pulling out line like its hooked to a race car. But, If I only fished for kings there would be many days with an empty cooler. Instead I'll run a dodger with a spin n glow right on the bottom for lakers. Or I'll run a few orange dodger peanut fly setups for coho. When steelhead are around I'll run spoons and gladly tie into some of those jumping crazy fish. Hours of trolling with no hits is awful. By mixing in a few presentations preferred by other species of fish you can add a little action to that post sun up slow time. Good luck, I hope the info helps.

Edited on 8/16/15 10:38 AM
Post Your Comment
7/16/15 @ 10:44 PM
smokercraft427
smokercraft427
MEMBER since 4/16/06
I drive 2.5 hrs. each way every time I go. And since God hasn't made a fish yet that's important enough for me to catch to get out of bed at 12:30am, I always seem to fish late morning into mid day. I guess I don't know any difference between a 4am bite and a 10am bite. I just try to dial in a depth range before leaving, usually have better luck on a north troll and use all the same presentations as guys do that fish the am dark or the pm dark. The only difference I can think of is I use very little glow stuff. In the past 10+ years I can't remember catching a fish below 55'. Most of the time I'm targeting 45' and up but paying attention to thermal Cline and temp at the ball. 1.9 - 2.2 at the ball

Post Your Comment
7/16/15 @ 10:32 PM
muskymike275
muskymike275
USER since 1/6/08
Keep moving and find fish that have not been pounded on all morning. That might be deeper or shallower depending on where the boat traffic was working. Also if everyone leaves an area do not be afraid to swing through it an hour or so after everyone is gone. We also put on a spoon spread with a few FF down deep and go hunt rainbows in deeper water. Just keep fishing and good things will happen.

Post Your Comment
7/16/15 @ 8:11 PM
ShooterMcGavin
ShooterMcGavin
USER since 9/5/13
If your flies or spoons stop producing after the morning it could be partially because the fish are noticeably more finicky and no longer find your offerings acceptable because their eyes have adjusted over to day-vision mode and can inspect the lure more easily with all the ambient light penetrating the clear water. That is a known fact btw, look it up, the salmon's eye takes about an hour to adjust from night-vision to day-vision and vice versa, during these times the fish are more easily fooled because their vision is adjusting.

It doesn't seem to matter as much before and during the morning bite, but once you figure out the direction of the undercurrents you will want to be more precise about your heading in order to dial in your prime targets.

For example say early on in the morning you had success trolling across the depth ranges east/west, but the currents are flowing SW. After the bite dies you would want to skip out into deeper water, slow your troll down, and head the opposite direction of the current to increase the action impacted on your setups down in the depths. Most rigs should be set around or below 60. Usually flies outproduce spoons when properly dialed in like this.

If flies aren't triggering bites but marks exist and kings are in the area, I would suggest switching to spoons because speed is not as critical without a flasher Cool

Remember fish smarter, not scribbled.

Uncle mcgavin

Post Your Comment