What line to use on dipsey divers

4/28/14 @ 8:53 PM
ORIGINAL POST
amstel239
amstel239
USER since 12/28/01
What line and how many pound test to use on dipsey divers? Mono backing? need help with setting up to rounds.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 48 Posts
4/17/15 @ 3:45 PM
luckylou
luckylou
USER since 8/25/11
For me:

30# power pro (you want the 8lb diameter mono equivilent) on the divers in April, May, June.

30# 7-stand wire from mid-june on out. If rare occasion brings me into skinny water, i'll put the braids out.

Also, if tournament fishing, i'll put a high diver out on braid.

Mono loses too many fish.

Post Your Comment
4/16/15 @ 11:39 PM
Tie1on
Tie1on
USER since 1/29/15
Probably gonna get laughed off here for this post but here goes... Why not a PENN 209lc with Torpedo 19 strand on a 8 1/2' Shimano TDR. Probably the cheapest way to roll all the way around! Put on a twilly tip if ya want. Yeah....I know, retrieval rate is slow as he!! but I bet it would get the job done. Something else I really haven't heard anyone talking about is the 19 strand? Any reason? I know they had a bad run the first couple years, but I've heard about guys using that on their DEEP rigger rods as well when then the sea fleas get bad!? I'm defiantly no expert, and when it boils right down to it, this isn't a cheap sport to get into, but I see no problem with this! Watch a few online vids with guys in the northern half of the state rolling 309's with pump handles off of BIG BOARDS...

Anyhow, to answerer the main question. When fishing the top 45' with dipseys, I run mono (25lb Big Game), after that (Spring time) Power Pro 50lb spool cut in half for the two Dipsey reels to top off the reel.

And then you get into the whole Core/Copper deal......Well, if you're trying to run Copper/or core (say 10 color/300'copper) to target the same fish you're trying with your wire Dipseys, that's a HUGE MESS waiting to happen!

Good Luck boys and girls!

Post Your Comment
4/16/15 @ 1:00 PM
sslayer
sslayer
USER since 6/9/06
I would suggest the 30# seven strand marine stainless steel trolling wire from Blood Run Tackle that is 0.015” in diameter. A1000' spool costs about $40 plus shipping. I would start the reel spooling with about 25’ of 25 or 30 pound monofilament line. Splice 600’ of 50# super braid to the mono and then splice the 30# SS trolling wire line to the super braid and fill the reel. I’d use a back to back Uni knot (Double Uni) to splice the mono to the 50# super braid and an Albright knot to splice the 50# super braid to the 30# SS trolling wire line. The knots mentioned are used commonly when splice copper and leadcore lines to super braid. Verify each knot is tied correctly and holds under a normal stress test of the knot before spooling the line type onto the reel. I’d use a reel that had a line capacity around 300 yards of 20# line (.018” Dia.) and a very smooth drag. I’d also recommend a retrieve ratio of 5:1 or higher if you are planning on letting out more than 200’ of line for getting deep with a diver. See attached image on depth. A medium heavy rod that is anywhere from 8’-6” to 10’ in length should work. A twili tip is another option for a rod tip so the wire don’t cut the tip. A Twili Tip runs about $7 plus shipping

Here’s a link on installing a Twili Tip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIraFZzU35g

Good Luck

SS

Edited on 4/16/15 1:01 PM
Post Your Comment
4/16/15 @ 12:02 PM
toyman2k
toyman2k
USER since 5/15/02
Holy dollars batman!! Okuma CV30 = $100- / okuma roller rod $125 and was out the door @ 250ish total at R&R with new wire dipsy with 1000ft of 30# wire. to those that have 6-800 per set up thats overkill and we are now talking salt water type gear which isnt needed for 20# salmon. My wire goes much deeper than my braid using reg. dipsys no ring. Only difference is have different rod for braid and its a little cheaper.

Post Your Comment
4/16/15 @ 8:10 AM
Fish Hound
Fish Hound
USER since 1/29/02
That's why I asked what your price range is, the combo recommended below is an awesome set-up if that's what your looking to spend. That rod - $250, that reel - $180, wire line $40 or about $470 total.

The 7' and 8' Shimano Talora wire line rods do come with Aftco rollers but do not come with the swivel tip. I don't like running long wire rods because I run other diver rods "outside" them. The swivel roller tip can be added for about $40 if you want to run the shorter rods. That still put's you in the $200 per rod range.

Swivel Tip

Now if your looking for a very good and reliable set-up at a much lower cost I would look into the Okuma Big Lakes Tournament Series wire rod, it doesn't have all rollers but does have solid stainless steel guides and a swivel roller tip. They can be had for about $90 and perform well.

For a reel you can go with the Okuma Cold Water CW-303D for about $100, very good reel with a carbonite drag system.

If your in the area go see Russ at Anglers Avenue in Sheboygan, he may have everything you need in stock. Otherwise give him a call 920-395-2406, it could be worth the drive.

Edited on 4/16/15 8:12 AM
Post Your Comment
4/15/15 @ 2:15 PM
John Schultz
John Schultz
USER since 3/14/14
I run tekota 500 line counters. You can get about 940' of wire on one with no backing. I've had good luck with those.

There are two types of Talora rods. The shorter and less expensive ones don't have the roller tip. I believe only the 9 and 10 footers have that and are about $100 more per rod. Worth the extra 100 in my opinion.

(608) 225-2395
Post Your Comment
4/15/15 @ 12:56 PM
Rhino46
Rhino46
USER since 7/18/11
I would like to keep it under $125, but I'd rather spend more if i have to than get something that wont work well for $125. I see the Taylora roller rods are about $135

Post Your Comment
4/15/15 @ 12:41 PM
Fish Hound
Fish Hound
USER since 1/29/02
What's your price range?

It can vary greatly and recommendations can be all over the board without and idea of what you want to invest.

Post Your Comment
4/15/15 @ 12:07 PM
Rhino46
Rhino46
USER since 7/18/11
Does anyone have suggestions on the type/brand of reel to buy for a wire setup?

Post Your Comment
5/8/14 @ 6:46 AM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
USER since 3/20/02
Decent (enough) reel - e.g. Diawa Sealine 47 = $125 1000' wire line = $40 (on Amazon for 1000' Blood Run 30#) Rod either roller guides or TwilliTip = $100 give or take some

So that puts you in the $265 ballpark for a set up decent enough for the weekender. Times two for the other side of the boat (since you will certainly want that once you use wire). Gets cheaper if you can find used stuff.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 48 Posts