TX - 44s

8/17/14 @ 1:48 PM
ORIGINAL POST
hntesox
hntesox
USER since 1/11/02
So here is my question. I have recently been bitten by a salmon bug and now I can't seem to stop. I am very new to this but I can see how much of a blast it can be. I have my traditional offshore walleye boards and they do work. HOWEVER, with 8-10 colors out they seem to lag back a bit. Do the tx-44s really run that much better as far as really keeping the bait closer to the boat with no lag? Or is it really not worth the $40 each? I already have 8 offshores, but if I need to get the 44's for 10 colors I will.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 23 Posts
2/2/17 @ 10:59 AM
Fish Hound
Fish Hound
USER since 1/29/02

Just use the Sam's Pro on the front and the OR-16 on the back. The Sam's Pro work well with superline backing and trip easy when you have them set correctly.

Never reel in a board that isn't tripped again and fight it over the top of other lines.

Post Your Comment
2/2/17 @ 8:15 AM
Grey Beard
Grey Beard
USER since 1/27/02

On my Off Shores that I run farthest from the boat I use the OR-16 (red with center pin) on the rear. On the front I use the OR-19s (orange, no pin). The OR-16 and OR-19 are the same heavy tension and adjustable. When smaller fish are around I will put a couple of loops of line in the pads of the OR-19 and that makes it easier to trip ie release. When seas are bumpy I don’t use the loops.

The new Off Shore SST Pro Mag Planer comes with the adjustable OR-18 on the front and a OR-16 on the rear. I experimented putting the OR-18 on the rear and the OR-19 on the front. I opted to put the OR-18 on the rear vs the OR-16 because of the size of the magnum boards. It pulled a full core just fine without a false release. This way I can trip my middle board and my outside boards.

Grey Beard

Post Your Comment
2/1/17 @ 4:00 PM
Fish Hound
Fish Hound
USER since 1/29/02

Check your PM's

Post Your Comment
2/1/17 @ 12:26 PM
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06

Burlington.

Post Your Comment
2/1/17 @ 12:04 PM
Fish Hound
Fish Hound
USER since 1/29/02

Where are you located? Many of us have been using the Ziggy boards and Sam's Pro release for a long time with great results. (Not to be confused with Z Boards)

I personally run them from small Brown Trout and surface Rainbow sets all the way up to 400 copper sets.

I used TX-44's one day and took them off the boat immediately!

Edited on 2/1/17 12:06 PM
Post Your Comment
1/28/17 @ 10:48 AM
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06

Reading up on the Ziggy boards. Looks pretty good. I wish there were a local source for these in my area. I might buy one (copper size) and attach a sam's release and an OR-16 clip. This way I could pop the board still.

Post Your Comment
1/28/17 @ 9:52 AM
hypovolemicshock
hypovolemicshock
USER since 6/20/11

I hated my walleye boards sliding down too.  What I did was switch out the rear pins with the metal ones.  Then I just put a loop in my line around the pin instead of just putting it in there.  This seems to hold the board in place well with a fish on.  I tried it with the plastic pins but one broke so I swapped them out.

Post Your Comment
1/27/17 @ 8:30 PM
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06

I use the offshore boards with the OR-16 clips in the back. I like to "pop" the board and reel it in, rather than reeling it in fully deployed. Is there a mod for these that would allow this? I am thinking I could just attach an OR-16 somewhere near the aft of the board. The one thing I hate about the walleye boards is having them slide down the line and trying to get them off with a hot fish 7 feet back in the prop wash! That's why I switched in the first place. Has anyone tried this? 

I am buying one for a 300 copper.

I just noticed that offshore makes a larger board (SST pro mag) with an OR-16 clip. This looks like a good option. Might have to change out the front release so I can "pop" the board. Anyone try these??

Edited on 1/28/17 9:47 AM
Post Your Comment
8/21/14 @ 5:07 PM
scrub
scrub
USER since 8/15/06
Just got mine last week been using them every day since last fri. I put them on the inside of the regular walleye boards and the spread works real well so far. Only had one copper tangle (200 & 300) in 6 days and that was likely due to a large fish dragging the 200 into 300. No tangles with 8 color and 10 color on the other side.....yetSmile

Post Your Comment
8/21/14 @ 11:12 AM
hntesox
hntesox
USER since 1/11/02
Well, I got one to use on my solo outing for yesterday. They are super nice. I should have gotten these awhile ago.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 23 Posts