Two Dipseys per side (no riggers yet)

7/20/15 @ 9:09 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Thump55
Thump55
USER since 7/19/04
First timer here...first trip was this past weekend. I tried running a #1 dipsey (with ring) and a 8" FF, but even with them set at 3 they didn't seem to be running far enough away from the boat to get a second dipsey in. Switched to spoon (no flasher) to see if the reduced drag would get it out further, but didn't seem to change it. Is the dipsey running further out than it appears (like there is a bow in the line)? The line coming off the rod seems to be going almost straight back. I am using 9' rods on outside and planned to use 7.5' rods on inside. I just ran one line right down the middle instead of an inside dipsey on each side like I had planned. Is it possible to safely run two per side? I was running the middle one at 45' down and the outer ones at 40' down. Thanks for any advice.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts
7/27/15 @ 11:28 AM
lvtofish
lvtofish
USER since 2/2/05
or run two of the dipseys on a 0 Setting right behind the boat.

Post Your Comment
7/25/15 @ 1:52 PM
slipery
slipery
USER since 1/30/11
I purchased a Fish Hawk clip on depth and temp . Cliped it to a slide diver big weight and big clear disc set at 2.5 50 lb Power pro 205 line counter let it run at 2.2 troll speed 5 minutes . reel back in fish hawk read 90 feet down max . With info maybe you dont need to buy down riggers . I plan on playing with this thing much more , Just have not been fishing much this year . Let you know what else I find out or just go buy one your self they cost around 90 bucks .

Post Your Comment
7/21/15 @ 12:01 PM
Thump55
Thump55
USER since 7/19/04
Thanks for the tips guys. I will go ahead and try it next time out.

Post Your Comment
7/21/15 @ 11:49 AM
mastertangler
mastertangler
USER since 6/21/01
Run four dipsey all the time.... I run mine on a 1 setting with power pro to help it dive deeper, and the other on a 3 setting with 20lb mono as that causes it to plane out a little more vs diving.

Then the biggest thing you have to worry about is how fast you let the outside lines out so they don't just cross each other immediately.

And the other trick is using your depth chart that comes with them. For example...100' of line out on a 1 setting and 100' on a 3 setting are only about 10' apart in the water column. Adjust your line so you create further separations and you'll have less issues with fish getting the lines tangled.

And, when you read reports of guys saying "I had this much line out"...take it with a grain of salt, cause they aren't telling you what settings or line they are running, so there's a range their baits could actually be at.

Post Your Comment
7/21/15 @ 10:16 AM
luckylou
luckylou
USER since 8/25/11
There are some previous threads that cover this, but here's the summary:

30lb power pro (or wire)

Stern most rod, 7footer Front most rod, 9footer

Stern most diver, 1setting Front most rod, 3 setting

Stern most diver, never more than 50% of the LOC of Front most diver.

EXAMPLE: Stern most diver, 1 setting, 75 LOC. Front diver, 3 setting, 150 LOC.

Double divers is can be deadly, but can also have deadly tangles. Follow these rules to minimize tangles.

Post Your Comment
7/21/15 @ 9:15 AM
Robbollio
Robbollio
USER since 10/17/04
Yep! Outside rods up!!!! Or you're crossing lines every second!

Post Your Comment
7/21/15 @ 8:53 AM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
USER since 3/20/02
Put the outside lines in front (towards the bow) of the inside lines. Same as with boards.

Post Your Comment
7/20/15 @ 3:37 PM
Thump55
Thump55
USER since 7/19/04
I was thinking of putting the outer dipseys (9ft rods)in the rear holders and tipping them up a notch or two and then running the inside ones (7.5' rods) on the front holders straight out to maybe get some more separation.

Post Your Comment
7/20/15 @ 2:04 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
USER since 10/17/04
Ditto... when i ran 4 lines in my little boat 2 were straight back with rings and outside ones were 3 setting no rigs. I did that so they would be even further away when a fish took them. I actually used jetdivers for inside lines and dipsys outside when I saw you can set jets with clips to trip and not dig...

Post Your Comment
7/20/15 @ 11:54 AM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
USER since 3/20/02
As long as you have the dipsey dialed correctly for the side (port/star) of the boat you are on you can easily run 2 per side. Without rigger's I'd dial the close one to 0 - 1 and the outside 2.5 - 3. let them out slow on tension. There is a bow in the line btw.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts