SEARCH
MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

Twilight tip

8/11/18 @ 5:05 PM
INITIAL POST
fuzzyfishin
User since 3/26/07

I made the mistake and put wire on Diawa inner flow rods. My thought to still use these rods for dypsie rods is to put a twilight tip on the rod so I can still use them for braid dypsie rods.

I’m afraid that the wire may have cut into the rod tips. 

Your thoughts?

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
8/24/23 @ 2:43 AM
iechlisoes
User since 8/24/23
Remove the old one first and bring it with you so that you may receive the same size when you buy the new one. Attach a rubber band to the tip and the other end to anything else that will take a hit when the tip top comes loose to remove the old one with minimal heat. Simply pull to stretch the rubber band and then apply heat around the tip's tube. The tip will pop off as the hot glue dries. Graphite does not like heat; therefore, use as little as possible to complete the task.
coreball
8/20/18 @ 1:52 PM
fuzzyfishin
User since 3/26/07

Thank for your thoughts.

Will just use what I have this year. If I get out.

Look at roller rods or get a couple of twilli tips for other rods. For next season.

Probably just file13 the inner flo rods, or maybe see if I can shorten them and replace the tip of whicg looks like a plastic ball with a hole through it. 

8/13/18 @ 8:03 AM
Algomaskeeter
Algomaskeeter
User since 5/31/17

Fuzzy, 

As a custom rod builder, I can tell you that the tip is not the only problem with what you are proposing. The material used to build blanks is much softer than even the cheapest, poorest made  guide ring material. Definitely NOT designed to be abrasion resistant to steel wire  

I would not want wire moving under pressure inside and against any form of rod blank.  I suspect it would shortly form a groove inside the blank under load. That would lead to a number of very bad things, culminating in blank failure. 

8/12/18 @ 1:31 PM
No Dak
User since 2/28/16

Fuzzy you need to remove your old tips before putting the new twili tips on. The wire will not do any harm to the lower guides. Good move to go to wire.

8/12/18 @ 8:39 AM
sslayer
User since 6/9/06

Do you mean a Twili Tip? If so they are designed for normal rod tip replacements not a rod that is a inner guide style.

Here's a link on installing a Twili Tip.

Twili Tip Installation

Good Luck

SS

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE