Trolling for salmon in the rain

3/16/18 @ 11:39 PM
ORIGINAL POST
SalmonRecon
SalmonRecon
USER since 7/8/17

Hey guys, 

I have been salmon fishing for a few years now and have things pretty well figured out on clear days, but due to a new job my available time for fishing is going to be cut in half this summer. Fortunately, I will have rainy and wet days off and would like to try to get out during these times. Does anyone have any advice on what to do different than clear days, if anything? 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 Posts
3/17/18 @ 2:21 PM
markrazzy
markrazzy
USER since 6/23/09

One of my best days fishing salmon out of my kayak was a cool, rainy July day during the Friday of Salmon-a-rama. I had on my drysuit, so I didn't care about getting wet. It was a perfect storm back in 2016... Wisconsin side had a ton of kings around, but they were mostly in the mid-teens for weight. Myself and a few other kayakers absolutely slayed the kings pulling cranks and spoons in 12-30 fow. I ended up going 16-23 with 14 kings and 2 coho from about 4am-10am. I had 4 kings from 15-18 lbs, 4 more from 12-15 lbs. 

2016 was such an odd year - kings would feed all day even out of temp. I was catching them in 40 fow when the water was 60 degrees on the bottom all day in clear, sunny conditions. I felt like a rockstar catching double digit numbers of kings every trip during SAR that year. Last year was a snap back to reality with the numbers crashing back to earth, but the size was so much better. 

So to sum it up, I agree with the colors listed below. When there's no sun, I feel like that morning king bite might last a little bit longer as well. 

Post Your Comment
3/17/18 @ 9:30 AM
sslayer
sslayer
USER since 6/9/06

The old saying bright days use bright colored baits, dark days use dark colored baits applies.    

In low light situations like rainy days I always found white or pearl colors out performed silver. So spoons with glow paint or tape on both sides were best. Pearl #3 J-Plugs on long leads or leadcore are great too. You may find the fish higher in the water column too.   

Good Luck   

SS  

Post Your Comment
3/17/18 @ 6:43 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

Wear rain gear.

Post Your Comment