Treble Hooks/Siwash for Salmon

6/11/14 @ 9:03 PM
ORIGINAL POST
RoyGbiv
RoyGbiv
USER since 3/6/10
What are your favorite Salmon Hooks for trolling? Why? What is the brand/brand # example "VMC 9650" Do you prefer Siwash/single over Treble? Why? What sizes for standard spoons, magnum spoons, peanut flys, full size king flys? What is a good Hook sharpener?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 20 Posts
6/16/14 @ 5:59 PM
hypovolemicshock
hypovolemicshock
USER since 6/20/11
How do you tie the tournament rig? Might have to switch some of my flies over to that technique.

Post Your Comment
6/16/14 @ 4:52 PM
RoyGbiv
RoyGbiv
USER since 3/6/10
Good information Gents.

GreyBeard,

What side of the spoon do you face the Siwash hook? Started putting some on and realized they can face the painted front side "convex" or the usually unpainted side "concave"..

I don't know if it matters but I wanna do it right.

One more question... lol. Some spoons have split rings some don't.. If they don't should put them on? Does it improve movement? '

Thanks

Post Your Comment
6/16/14 @ 1:41 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
USER since 10/17/04
Because of greybeard I started running brads a few years ago. Love them. I like to tie directly to a 30# barrel swivel, split ring on swivel, then a mustad treble (rapala trebles taken off lures) a clear bead is threaded on the line at the knot then the brads then fInIshed up wIth another barrel swIvel 4 feet up.basically a leader rigged ready to snap on either bare or behind a flasher. Hook poInt should clear the end of the brads by roughly 1/4 Inch. I have never lost a fish on that setup. Spoons on the other hand... to many to count! That being said I don't remember ever losing a fish on the one spoon with a siwash since last time this topic was brought up. My 2 cents. Love them Brads!

Post Your Comment
6/16/14 @ 8:59 AM
JamesD
JamesD
USER since 2/16/04
Thanks for starting this debate Roygbiv (the guy with a "colorful" name). Just last weekend a nice rainbow did enough gyrations right in sight behind the boat, to bend a treble slightly and "walk" the hook right out of its mouth, sending the spoon flying right back at us. Hoping to avoid the same error I switched to siwash hooked spoons for my planer board rigs. Did I pitch all my #2 Gamakatsu trebles?... NO WAY!... Bows will continue to do their best to shake a single but it's a balancing act we all try to maintain. Missed hits on single hooks or the monster King crunching up a treble like it's a bar pretzel.

Edited on 6/16/14 9:11 AM
Post Your Comment
6/14/14 @ 8:36 PM
Reel_Addiction
Reel_Addiction
USER since 5/17/06
GB your the man when it comes to Brad's baits, and I completely agree singles are the only way to go on Brad's baits. I use a 4/0 single mustad siwash hook when I do use singles on mag spoons or Brads Baits (the barb is second to none on those mustads). I always kirb the hook as well, better hook up rate for sure!

Post Your Comment
6/14/14 @ 7:47 PM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
USER since 12/20/12
Switch out the standard treble hooks for EWG( extra wide gap) for spoons they are the way to go. They plain hook and hold fish did yrs of testing. They hook up better then normal trebles and hold as good or better then singles. They just plain stick and hold awesome.

Post Your Comment
6/14/14 @ 6:44 AM
MuskyHunter
MuskyHunter
USER since 6/17/01
I will try that! Thank!

Post Your Comment
6/14/14 @ 5:38 AM
Grey Beard
Grey Beard
USER since 1/27/02
Here is a photo of how I rig them. The rigid white plastic tube is what some use to tie salmon flies.

Grey Beard

Edited on 6/14/14 5:42 AM
Post Your Comment
6/13/14 @ 4:53 PM
MuskyHunter
MuskyHunter
USER since 6/17/01
Thanks GB. I was just going to message you about how you rig your brads.

Post Your Comment
6/13/14 @ 4:46 PM
Grey Beard
Grey Beard
USER since 1/27/02
I will defer to Reel_Addiction regarding flies and how to rig. I’ve used some of his tournament ties and they are great. I guess I’ll just have to tie a few more for myself.

My hook up rate on riggers with flies seemed to be better than my wire dipsys and I assumed because the dipsy is more erratic. I can honestly say my hook up rate on Wire Dipsy with flasher flies and double snelled Octopus left much to be desired. I don’t run as many flies as I did before starting to use Brad’s cut plugs. Cut plugs come with trebles and I’ve rigged all of mine with a single 4/0 Octopus and a very good hook up rate. My leads are 42” so not getting much whip from dodger or flasher and with Big Als, no whip.

Grey Beard

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 20 Posts