Tournament rig?

6/19/14 @ 8:05 PM
ORIGINAL POST
hypovolemicshock
hypovolemicshock
USER since 6/20/11
Just wondering what the best way to tie the tournament rig for flies is? I just tried a couple ways but it just doesn't seem right. Want to give it a try with a couple of my flies and see if I get some more hookups or not.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 Posts
6/20/14 @ 12:52 PM
hypovolemicshock
hypovolemicshock
USER since 6/20/11
Thanks for the info. I have viewed the easy snell knot from the catfish but will search for the other.

Post Your Comment
6/20/14 @ 11:25 AM
thinblueline
thinblueline
USER since 1/25/10
Double snell knot, not double snell hook. I'm doing all this by my phone.

Post Your Comment
6/20/14 @ 11:24 AM
thinblueline
thinblueline
USER since 1/25/10
For the octopus hook, search YouTube for "double snell hook" by global tackle, and watch how he ties the top hook, which is how I do it.

Post Your Comment
6/20/14 @ 11:17 AM
thinblueline
thinblueline
USER since 1/25/10
For the first hook you can snell without cutting the leader first, search YouTube for "easy snell knot video" and the first video to pop up will be from some site called bigcatfishing. It shows how I tie my first hook a little different than a lot of people.

Post Your Comment
6/20/14 @ 10:59 AM
thinblueline
thinblueline
USER since 1/25/10
I'm not sure I can adequately describe the technique with words, but I'm sure you can search the internet for a video or some other illustration on Snelling the octopus hook. There is a way to snell the treble hook first without actually cutting a section of leader line off first, which saves you a little bit of line, but to snell the octopus hook , you then have to cut your leader because you have to work that cut tag end back through the eye of the octopus hook. Anyway, I just pinch the octopus hook tight against the line, exactly where I want it situated, and hold it there as tight as possible as I make my line wraps. After wrapping, I run that tag end through the eye all the way and cinch the snell knot down as tight as possible, while trying to keep the hook pinched in place. It's kind of trial and error as the hook may shift up or down slightly, such that the bend of the octopus hook might be a fraction of an inch higher or lower than you want, but as long as you keep the hook pinched tight against the line, it won't shift much.

Post Your Comment
6/20/14 @ 10:05 AM
hypovolemicshock
hypovolemicshock
USER since 6/20/11
Thanks. What is the proper way to snell the proximal single hook? I can get the one on the end but can't seem to find a good technique to snell the other hook in close.

Post Your Comment
6/20/14 @ 6:45 AM
thinblueline
thinblueline
USER since 1/25/10
I've been using the tournament hook rig on fly leaders for years, and I am absolutely positive you will see a dramatic increase in your hookups. Lost fish on these rigs have become an exception rather than the rule, unlike fly rigs with a single treble hook. Simply snell a size 2 extra wide gap treble, (I use all gamakatsu hooks) or a size 1 round bend treble onto your 50 pound leader material (I use fluorocarbon for the abrasion resistance), and then snell a 4/0 gamakatsu octopus hook right above the treble, so that the bend of the octopus hook butts up against the eye of the treble hook. Absolutely no reason to use any beads between the two hooks as some do, because I have done it with and without beads, and noticed no difference in numbers of strikes or lost fish either way. That's about it.

Post Your Comment