"SWR" and Leadcore

6/2/14 @ 11:16 AM
ORIGINAL POST
hntesox
hntesox
USER since 1/11/02
So I am pretty green at all this so bare with me. Does it make sense to rig all my downriggers with the SWR set ups? I mean why would it "NOT" be a good idea. I fish a small boat and 6 total rods out is about as much as will fit. I run 2 riggers 2 boards and 2 dipseys unless fish tell me different. Also, it is my understanding with leadcore and boards you would need a dedicated 3,4,5,6, etc for each set up. I'm only getting 2 for now and was thinking a 3 and 5 color to start. Sound right? Also, with a size 47 reel how in the heck do you know how much backing? I mean is it just a judgment and then hope you get it right? or is there a method to the madness? Again, I'm a rookie with this great lakes stuff. But it sure is a blast!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 21 Posts
6/9/14 @ 5:27 AM
quantumleap
quantumleap
MEMBER since 5/31/07
While the SWR riggers and 3 color leadcore boards are great setups,You might want a couple of mono setups in the boat for a couple of scenarios. We had good action with a spoon 125' behind the board (no weight) when we saw fish surfacing. Early morning King bite on riggers on mono rods with short leads (10 - 40 feet) when the SWR rods were dead. Cool

Post Your Comment
6/7/14 @ 8:55 PM
hntesox
hntesox
USER since 1/11/02
I have em, just haven t used em...

Post Your Comment
6/7/14 @ 8:02 PM
walleye27
walleye27
USER since 1/25/07
use torpedo snap wieghts

Post Your Comment
6/5/14 @ 9:02 PM
hntesox
hntesox
USER since 1/11/02
Gonna try lead for the first time outa port as its closer to me and the king buzz is sounding good. Amazing how just winding backing and 10 colors in the garage will pump you up! Trying a SWR for the first time too. Keep me informed off bender. I love it all.

Post Your Comment
6/4/14 @ 10:58 AM
hntesox
hntesox
USER since 1/11/02
I think the second I'll also go with a 10 or maybe a 7 then clip on a weight if needed. Thanks everyone for the thoughts

Post Your Comment
6/4/14 @ 10:47 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
only need enough to put a board on conveniently.... so maybe 3 feet

Post Your Comment
6/4/14 @ 10:44 AM
Thiel66
Thiel66
USER since 1/9/14
How much mono did you put in between the different colors? Does the length make any bit of difference?

Post Your Comment
6/4/14 @ 10:11 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
I have two 10 color rods that I segmented.

Piece of Mono at 3 color Piece of Mono at 5 color Piece of Mono at 7 color

This way I can run all four variations with just two rods. It is convenient and cheaper

As you troll out deeper it is very simple to reel in board and then release a little more line and re-attach.

I really only fish the 3 color for browns though and the 5 color when in shallow. I probably will rarely mess around with 7 color anymore either because it almost never gets hit for me so I added a 300' copper rod to arsenal this year that will run opposite 10 color a lot of days once the sun is coming up.

I ran SWR for a long time and never notice any benefit to it.

I am not a great Salmon fishermen so I am sure this stuff works, my point being none of it is the magic rig that will work all the time or even most the time. As someone above said, variety is key.

Post Your Comment
6/4/14 @ 9:57 AM
eyecatcher84
eyecatcher84
USER since 3/19/08
There are tournament guys out there running up to 550' 60lb copper setups now! Yes its insane and I dont think anybody on this planet would call it "fun" (except for laughing at the guy who reels it in) But, from what I understand, the super long cores and coppers really do bag on fish in the dog days of summer. I was also reading in GLA magazine about all sorts of new weighted dipsys that can take baits way down to almost 400'. This whole "deep" obsession comes from a group of guys that discovered that there are "always" big mature kings out deep willing to bite. Aparantely much more consistent than shallow (less than 200') fishing. THe biggest problem is getting baits down to them without using 20lb rigger balls and spooking them. Now, I will never find out myself if this is true or not because my boats too small, my reels cant fit that much line, and I dont think I would want to reel the fish in when they do hit, but interesting stuff nonetheless....

Were getting way off topic from the original post, but thats what this is all about. In regards to the OP. I think you did well by spooling up that ten. Now the big choice is what to do with the other. Personally, Id go with a 5 and then add weight like Slosh suggested. I never liked pinching a board on lead mostly due to the sagging from boat to board like luckylou mentioned, but it can be done, especially if only running one board per side. Like Jason said, you are getting your best bang for your buck that way, and hes got WAY more knowlege on this stuff than I do. Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.

Post Your Comment
6/4/14 @ 8:07 AM
hntesox
hntesox
USER since 1/11/02
Big arms and paint can size spools...

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 21 Posts