MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

Spinning rod for shore fishing

3/21/18 @ 3:45 PM
INITIAL POST
Michalski23
User since 1/28/18

Hello,

I will try to fish Lake Michigan this season for the very first time.

What would be best universal spinning rod.

Based on my reading I will be using mepps and crankbaits.

A rod that could be used for spinning and bobber fishing would be ideal. 

Also, I would appreciate line, lure advice ...anything helps.

Thank you in advance!

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
3/31/18 @ 6:24 AM
Michalski23
User since 1/28/18

Thank you all for your help.

I hope to fish Lake Michigan very first time this season.

cant wait.

3/29/18 @ 6:49 AM
Edward Felcohands
User since 2/24/09

150 should be more than enough,just make sure you have mono backing to bulk up the mass on the spool.  I always go to fishin hole in cudahy, guy there does a good job putting the right amount of backing on

3/25/18 @ 6:23 PM
Michalski23
User since 1/28/18

Is 150 yards of braid enough or do I need more?

3/25/18 @ 5:25 PM
CFDfisherman19
CFDfisherman19
User since 8/19/05

Id stick with 9ft or longer. As said before long rods and good drags do the work for you. No need for any kind of heavy action rod. I prefer two setups normally. Cabela's series 9ft Medium for cranks / spinner. 10'6" Okuma sst float rod in medium power for a bobber rod. Both rods are a great price and cover everything from steel head to kings. 15lb power pro (4lb mono diameter) with a flouro leader gives you great capacity on reels. Pflueger President reels are solid for the price, also like the Okuma Avenger baitfeeder series for live bait rigs off breakwalls.

3/25/18 @ 2:50 PM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

Don't be afraid to set out bait or spawn on float rigs or slip sinker rigs. You can do both and still cast your croc a mile with the good ideas from earlier posters. Mark Wisniewski writes a 'Lake Michigan Shore Fishing" article in Midwest Outdoors. April edition has a good one about  stealth because of the clear water we now fish. Don't forget a long net or extension if needed.

3/25/18 @ 9:05 AM
Michalski23
User since 1/28/18

Would 30lbs braid with 15# flouro leader work?

3/23/18 @ 6:19 AM
Edward Felcohands
User since 2/24/09

I prefer 8.5-9 ft medium to med heavy action.  Heavier action means lost fish because there fish go nuts and you tear hooks out or break your line.  Too light and you don’t have the power to cast heavy baits and get good hook sets.  You want to control fish, not muscle them and the bend in the rod is where that happens.  Longer rods work for bobbers and live bait but it’s a little much for casting and you lose power.   I use 12-14lb nanofil, unless air temp is below freezing.  Don’t skimp on the reel, I’ve been happy with Diawa excelers, you need a big drag system and large spool capacity.

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE