Speed At The Ball and Current

5/22/14 @ 11:55 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Supergas990
Supergas990
USER since 6/15/10
I've been playing with my Depth Raider for a season now and have found my fishing much better. What I'm not yet understanding is the relationship of current to the ball speed. If I'm running one way at 2.0 at the ball and 2.6 ground speed (we'll call it lap one), then I turn around and am running 2.0 at the ball, but 3.4 ground speed (we'll call this lap 2), what should that be telling me about the speed and direction of the current? Any help on figuring this out is appreciated. I imagine that the more I learn the more useful this device will be. Thanks, Blair
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 Posts
5/23/14 @ 10:27 AM
Supergas990
Supergas990
USER since 6/15/10
Thanks for the feedback. I think I have it sorted out. Now I'm going to see if it helps me catch fish or not.

Blair

Post Your Comment
5/23/14 @ 10:10 AM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
Logically, if your SOG exceeds the speed at the ball you would need to be going with the current, right? Mrt.

Post Your Comment
5/23/14 @ 9:47 AM
smokercraft427
smokercraft427
MEMBER since 4/16/06
Hmmm, I disagree with that response. I could be wrong, but I always thought lap one you're running WITH the underwater current. lap two you're running AGAINST the underwater current. For instance, On lap two you're having to increase your GPS, SOG in order to sustain your 2.0 at the ball due to the current. Underwater current doesn't affect boat speed on the surface.

Post Your Comment
5/22/14 @ 7:08 PM
UDDER BUSINESS
UDDER BUSINESS
USER since 9/10/02
BASICALLY LAP 1 YOU ARE RUNNING INTO THE CURRENT MAYBE AT A SLIGHT ANGLE. LAP 2 YOU ARE RUNNING WITH THE CURRENT SO YOUR BOAT SPEED OVER GROUND IS FASTER BUT B/C YOU ARE RUNNING WITH THE CURRENT YOUR LURES ARE ONLY GOING 2 MPH. IF THERE WAS ABSOLUTELY NO CURRENTS YOUR TWO SPEEDS WOULD MATCH. OUT HERE MANY TIMES YOU HAVE MORE THAN ONE CURRENT AND THEY ARE GOING IN DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS.WATCHING YOUR DOWNRIGGER CABLES AND HOW THEY TRACK WILL HELP YOU TO SEE DISTINCT CURRENTS.

Post Your Comment